Hard drive failure

ades993

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hi.. about a month ago i bought a used computer. It worked perfectly for like three days or so and then suddenly mid-game the hard drive disappeared. The all kinds of problem started to appear, It took about 10 minutes to log in our out of the computer nad "Loading Asus express time" started to appear when i logged in. My friend helped me and we go rid of that text, and the hard drive was back, but it was not good, and soon it disappeared again. We tryed switching the hard drive and it worked perfectly for like 4 days. Then a simular problem accured. The hard drive does not disappear but i gets real slow and i cant game or watch movies under a time, and the i works again and the same thing happends over and over again. Do you have any idea of what the problem might be? Im not very good with computers so please keep it as simple as possible :)

my specs are:
8gb ram(2GBx4)
nVidia GEFORCE GTX 460
Intel i5 4-core
1 40GB SSD hard drive (works)
1 250 GB SATA

ades993

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
No, I bought it from a stranger, so no refund. Okay, so you think it is something with the system? Cause, even though I can't fully tryst the guy I bought the computer from, he says that this never happened to him, and he has been trying to help. But I will try :)

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, I've found with hundreds of Windows 7 installations that problems of this sort are best solved with a clean installation. You can try running a really great free anti-malware like Kasperky Rescue Disk 10 ( http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282173 ) but it is usually less work to just do a clean reinstallation if you have all the disks and serials.

First, back up any important data and then reformat your storage disk and disconnect it, then install your OS to the SSD, then reattach the HDD and reinstall your programs.

ades993

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
I've tried it now, and it works for the moment :) let's just hope it stays this way and not grow in to old habbits ;) thank you for your help!

RealBeast

Titan
Hope is not a viable backup strategy, you have been lucky this time. Backup all your data ASAP and keep it backed up in the event that the problem returns. If the problem never returns you still have good backups. :)

ades993

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello again, it worked for a while and then it happened again...any other ideas of what might be the problem?:)