I'm bored so thought of a new idea in UT2004...

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2004 5:00:53 PM

Just a small one... :)

Since the introduction of the double jump it has changed the traditional way
of UT combat. Not to mention the off wall jump. I think another skill should
be considered: floor rolling. It would work like this. Whilst holding
crouch, do a double tap in any direction would cause the player to appear to
roll (similar to the Skaarj character in original UT but in any direction)
The physical height of the player would obviously be that when crouching. It
would be good for escaping snipers and high-aiming weapons. Also, when
holding, say, left and double tap forward whilst coruching, the player would
do a diagonal forward roll forwards (a bit like the standing version).

When put into a real fight it would actually appear quite cool. Imagine
someone dodged out from a corner with a double jump (usually very fast!)
then doing a side roll upon landing on the floor and releasing three rockets
into your face. Would look like a scene from the movies ;D
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 7:44:05 PM

"Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> Blessed us with

> Just a small one... :)
>
> Since the introduction of the double jump it has changed the
> traditional way of UT combat. Not to mention the off wall jump.
> I think another skill should be considered: floor rolling. It
> would work like this. Whilst holding crouch, do a double tap in
> any direction would cause the player to appear to roll (similar
> to the Skaarj character in original UT but in any direction) The
> physical height of the player would obviously be that when
> crouching. It would be good for escaping snipers and high-aiming
> weapons. Also, when holding, say, left and double tap forward
> whilst coruching, the player would do a diagonal forward roll
> forwards (a bit like the standing version).
>
> When put into a real fight it would actually appear quite cool.
> Imagine someone dodged out from a corner with a double jump
> (usually very fast!) then doing a side roll upon landing on the
> floor and releasing three rockets into your face. Would look
> like a scene from the movies ;D

This could be done by just about completely re-scripting the
entire Player Pawn class. Just to make the Player Pawn do
something this simple would require massive changes in the script.
Also getting the servers to accept and use it would be an act of
congress!. It would be great for single player too!. It could be
implemented far easier in single player mode. I'm sure Epic
Megagames may have already thought of this, but probably no one
asked for this feature so they didn't implement it. A letter or
email to them might make them reconsider it if they got enough
feedback!. They could very easily implement something like that in
a future patch or something!.

Great idea though. :-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 22, 2004 9:35:44 PM

Humga enlightened us with:
> I think another skill should be considered: floor rolling.

Nice one!

> It would work like this. Whilst holding crouch, do a double tap in any
> direction would cause the player to appear to roll (similar to the
> Skaarj character in original UT but in any direction)

Perhaps you can also think of a way of doing the roll while running?

So, when can we expect to beta-test your mod?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Related resources
June 22, 2004 9:52:25 PM

JHall enlightened us with:
> This could be done by just about completely re-scripting the entire
> Player Pawn class. Just to make the Player Pawn do something this
> simple would require massive changes in the script.

It's not that bad. Just adding a Rolling state with the right animations
would do it. Of course, you'd need to add a rolling animation to every
model.

> I'm sure Epic Megagames may have already thought of this, but probably
> no one asked for this feature so they didn't implement it. A letter
> or email to them might make them reconsider it if they got enough
> feedback!.

I think it would indeed be best if Epic did this. After all, it's easy
enough for them to add to existing classes. It's a LOT of work to extend
a class and add the rolling feature, though...

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:15:05 AM

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> Humga enlightened us with:
> > I think another skill should be considered: floor rolling.
>
> Nice one!
>
> > It would work like this. Whilst holding crouch, do a double tap in any
> > direction would cause the player to appear to roll (similar to the
> > Skaarj character in original UT but in any direction)
>
> Perhaps you can also think of a way of doing the roll while running?
>
> So, when can we expect to beta-test your mod?
>
> MeltDown
> --

Say if this is implemented in UT, to run and then roll would be just to
press duck and more or less at the same time pull off a dodge :)  Obviously,
like the wall jump, it's for expereinced players and pros alike. Maybe EPic
could think off something better. I could imagine in UT2007 the fights would
be like martial arts plus weapons :p
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:22:02 AM

"JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message
> "Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> Blessed us with
>
> > Just a small one... :)
> >
> > Since the introduction of the double jump it has changed the
> > traditional way of UT combat. Not to mention the off wall jump.
> > I think another skill should be considered: floor rolling. It
> > would work like this. Whilst holding crouch, do a double tap in
> > any direction would cause the player to appear to roll (similar
> > to the Skaarj character in original UT but in any direction) The
> > physical height of the player would obviously be that when
> > crouching. It would be good for escaping snipers and high-aiming
> > weapons. Also, when holding, say, left and double tap forward
> > whilst coruching, the player would do a diagonal forward roll
> > forwards (a bit like the standing version).
> >
> > When put into a real fight it would actually appear quite cool.
> > Imagine someone dodged out from a corner with a double jump
> > (usually very fast!) then doing a side roll upon landing on the
> > floor and releasing three rockets into your face. Would look
> > like a scene from the movies ;D
>
> This could be done by just about completely re-scripting the
> entire Player Pawn class. Just to make the Player Pawn do
> something this simple would require massive changes in the script.
> Also getting the servers to accept and use it would be an act of
> congress!. It would be great for single player too!. It could be
> implemented far easier in single player mode. I'm sure Epic
> Megagames may have already thought of this, but probably no one
> asked for this feature so they didn't implement it. A letter or
> email to them might make them reconsider it if they got enough
> feedback!. They could very easily implement something like that in
> a future patch or something!.
>
> Great idea though. :-)

I'm sure Epic has thought of more crazy ideas like flying kicks, continuous
wall leaping (!!), ceiling hanging (!!!) or whatever... they are just
holding back for the future releases ;)  I just hope that by then my fingers
would still be agile enough to do those tricks :/
June 23, 2004 3:55:55 AM

Humga enlightened us with:
> I could imagine in UT2007 the fights would be like martial arts plus
> weapons :p

That would rock ;-) Would be kinda hard to beat a redeemer with a few
kung-fu kicks though :-P

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 23, 2004 3:55:56 AM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:55:55 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Humga enlightened us with:
>> I could imagine in UT2007 the fights would be like martial arts plus
>> weapons :p
>
>That would rock ;-) Would be kinda hard to beat a redeemer with a few
>kung-fu kicks though :-P

Just kick it in the tip. :-)
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 3:55:57 AM

thumper <thumper@magpage.com> Blessed us with

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:55:55 +0200, MeltDown
> <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
>
>>Humga enlightened us with:
>>> I could imagine in UT2007 the fights would be like martial
>>> arts plus weapons :p
>>
>>That would rock ;-) Would be kinda hard to beat a redeemer with
>>a few kung-fu kicks though :-P
>
> Just kick it in the tip. :-)

It's also possible that someone could come out with a "rubber man"
mod where you could stretch your leg and kick something on the
other side of a huge map!. :o D That way you could kick an
oncoming redeemer and not get hurt by the blast!.

LOL!

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 4:19:48 AM

I'm bored to this. You can write a mutator like "Donkey Kong" - What else do
you wanna have? My Joystick with 12 buttons is already upset to the maximum
with functions. So if we don't have a 3D-glove sold for an affordable
price - nothing will change. U wanna have a triple jump? This will end up in
a jumping jack bouncing game (pinnball greetings) for UT2K4, but won't make
it more fun.
Of course I still like to play UTGOTY - but cause of the eye-candy I prefer
2k3(obvious when u gotta 2k4) - so I play Onslaught or Vehicular Capture The
Flag (VCTF). BTW should I open a new Thread cause of VCTF??? only 3 to 6
servers. I like to play even more than Onslaught...

happy drunken fraggings
June 23, 2004 12:39:14 PM

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> I'm bored to this. You can write a mutator like "Donkey Kong" - What
> else do you wanna have? My Joystick with 12 buttons is already upset
> to the maximum with functions. So if we don't have a 3D-glove sold for
> an affordable price - nothing will change. U wanna have a triple jump?
> This will end up in a jumping jack bouncing game (pinnball greetings)
> for UT2K4, but won't make it more fun.

I'm bored with you. You are slowing down the evoluation of a good idea.
If everybody thought "I'm happy with what we have now", we wouldn't have
gone beyond the LCD-segment games.

> Of course I still like to play UTGOTY - but cause of the eye-candy I prefer
> 2k3(obvious when u gotta 2k4) - so I play Onslaught or Vehicular Capture The
> Flag (VCTF).

You shouldn't. Aren't you against new things?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:04:45 PM

> thumper <thumper@magpage.com> Blessed us with
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:55:55 +0200, MeltDown
> > <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
> >
> >>Humga enlightened us with:
> >>
> >>That would rock ;-) Would be kinda hard to beat a redeemer with
> >>a few kung-fu kicks though :-P
> >
> > Just kick it in the tip. :-)
>
> It's also possible that someone could come out with a "rubber man"
> mod where you could stretch your leg and kick something on the
> other side of a huge map!. :o D That way you could kick an
> oncoming redeemer and not get hurt by the blast!.
>
> LOL!

lmao now that's going a bit too far ;)  But nice idea! Yes, mutators should
take care of things like these ;)  As for the standard moves Epic should
carefully think about them before adding. The philosophy is to maintain the
traditional combat feel whilst limiting the 'possibilties' of what one can
do...if not there will be chaos a bit like spamming where luck is the
governing rule of victory and not skillfulness and/or experience of the
players.

To be honest I hated the double jump at first because it made it damn
difficult to predict what the opponent would do next. But now I love it :D
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:07:13 PM

"Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message
> I'm bored to this. You can write a mutator like "Donkey Kong" - What else
do
> you wanna have? My Joystick with 12 buttons is already upset to the
maximum
> with functions. So if we don't have a 3D-glove sold for an affordable
> price - nothing will change. U wanna have a triple jump? This will end up
in
> a jumping jack bouncing game (pinnball greetings) for UT2K4, but won't
make
> it more fun.
> Of course I still like to play UTGOTY - but cause of the eye-candy I
prefer
> 2k3(obvious when u gotta 2k4) - so I play Onslaught or Vehicular Capture
The
> Flag (VCTF). BTW should I open a new Thread cause of VCTF??? only 3 to 6
> servers. I like to play even more than Onslaught...
>
> happy drunken fraggings

UT with joystick? hmmm...
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 10:05:53 PM

Humga wrote:
> "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> I'm bored to this. You can write a mutator like "Donkey Kong" - What
>> else do you wanna have? My Joystick with 12 buttons is already upset
>> to the maximum with functions. So if we don't have a 3D-glove sold
>> for an affordable price - nothing will change. U wanna have a triple
>> jump? This will end up in a jumping jack bouncing game (pinnball
>> greetings) for UT2K4, but won't make it more fun.
>> Of course I still like to play UTGOTY - but cause of the eye-candy I
>> prefer 2k3(obvious when u gotta 2k4) - so I play Onslaught or
>> Vehicular Capture The Flag (VCTF). BTW should I open a new Thread
>> cause of VCTF??? only 3 to 6 servers. I like to play even more than
>> Onslaught...
>>
>> happy drunken fraggings
>>

> UT with joystick? hmmm...

yup, as often discussed. I am right-handed. i use a A4-Tech 5 button mouse
with 2 wheels on my right hand and a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB 12 Button
Joystick on my left hand to play games. i prefer this combo rather than
mouse/keyboard combo. - really rocks. it's always hard to configure all
these buttons, but u only do have to do that one time.
this rulez for me...
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 10:21:26 PM

MeltDown wrote:
> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>> I'm bored to this. You can write a mutator like "Donkey Kong" - What
>> else do you wanna have? My Joystick with 12 buttons is already upset
>> to the maximum with functions. So if we don't have a 3D-glove sold
>> for
>> an affordable price - nothing will change. U wanna have a triple
>> jump?
>> This will end up in a jumping jack bouncing game (pinnball greetings)
>> for UT2K4, but won't make it more fun.
>
> I'm bored with you. You are slowing down the evoluation of a good
> idea. If everybody thought "I'm happy with what we have now", we
> wouldn't have gone beyond the LCD-segment games.

uh - think u misunderstood me. i would be the last one to be against game
evolution. years ago i even bought me an asus-nvidia graphics card with
3D-glasses to play utgoty and quake2, but that didn't rock the house cause
of the lighteffects not been programmed correctly (even got headaches
playing longer than an hour).

>> Of course I still like to play UTGOTY - but cause of the eye-candy I
>> prefer 2k3(obvious when u gotta 2k4) - so I play Onslaught or
>> Vehicular Capture The Flag (VCTF).
>
> You shouldn't. Aren't you against new things?
>
> MeltDown

as said before, i like new things. next generation games may have neuronal
plugs attached directly into your head with full sense recognition ;-)
thought this was a misunderstanding
June 23, 2004 10:35:01 PM

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> uh - think u misunderstood me. i would be the last one to be against
> game evolution.

Then please explain what you /do/ mean.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 11:27:49 PM

> Humga wrote:
> > "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message
> >> I'm bored to this. You can write a mutator like "Donkey Kong" - What
> >> else do you wanna have? My Joystick with 12 buttons is already upset
> >> to the maximum with functions. So if we don't have a 3D-glove sold
> >> for an affordable price - nothing will change. U wanna have a triple
> >> jump? This will end up in a jumping jack bouncing game (pinnball
> >> greetings) for UT2K4, but won't make it more fun.
> >> Of course I still like to play UTGOTY - but cause of the eye-candy I
> >> prefer 2k3(obvious when u gotta 2k4) - so I play Onslaught or
> >> Vehicular Capture The Flag (VCTF). BTW should I open a new Thread
> >> cause of VCTF??? only 3 to 6 servers. I like to play even more than
> >> Onslaught...
> >>
> >> happy drunken fraggings
> >>

> > UT with joystick? hmmm...
>
> yup, as often discussed. I am right-handed. i use a A4-Tech 5 button mouse
> with 2 wheels on my right hand and a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB 12 Button
> Joystick on my left hand to play games. i prefer this combo rather than
> mouse/keyboard combo. - really rocks. it's always hard to configure all
> these buttons, but u only do have to do that one time.
> this rulez for me...

Ah right, I thought you don't use a mouse! So you use a joystick in place of
the keyboard...that's interesting. I tried to use my dual analogue
(Playstation controller clone one) joypad and UT2004 doesn't recognise the
buttons I press on the controller :/
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:30:25 AM

MeltDown wrote:
> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>> uh - think u misunderstood me. i would be the last one to be against
>> game evolution.
>
> Then please explain what you /do/ mean.
>
> MeltDown

well, there a mods out there to be able to crouch. didn't u programme one?
also all these mods that make 2k3, utgoty feel like halflife?
the op meant to have the ability to have crouch-mod, of coarse nobody wants
to prevent him of this, perhaps u might make a modified 2k4-crouch mod. i
would aprechiate it - sure that many admins would it install it on their
servers. might be that cause of my english misunderstandings didn't tell
what i wanted to say. thinking we are meaning the same...
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:50:12 AM

Humga wrote:
> "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message
>> Humga wrote:
>>> "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message

>>> UT with joystick? hmmm...
>>
>> yup, as often discussed. I am right-handed. i use a A4-Tech 5 button
>> mouse with 2 wheels on my right hand and a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB
>> 12 Button Joystick on my left hand to play games. i prefer this
>> combo rather than mouse/keyboard combo. - really rocks. it's always
>> hard to configure all these buttons, but u only do have to do that
>> one time.
>> this rulez for me...
>>

> Ah right, I thought you don't use a mouse! So you use a joystick in
> place of the keyboard...that's interesting. I tried to use my dual
> analogue (Playstation controller clone one) joypad and UT2004 doesn't
> recognise the buttons I press on the controller :/

huh - thats strange. a joypad? i got one here too, but u can fix a joystick
at the table - nore a joypad. how would u make this? try a digital or
analogue joystick. (digitals are hard to become - but got the advantage to
make the doublejump easier)
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 2:11:04 AM

> Humga wrote:
> > "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message

> >> yup, as often discussed. I am right-handed. i use a A4-Tech 5 button
> >> mouse with 2 wheels on my right hand and a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB
> >> 12 Button Joystick on my left hand to play games. i prefer this
> >> combo rather than mouse/keyboard combo. - really rocks. it's always
> >> hard to configure all these buttons, but u only do have to do that
> >> one time.
> >> this rulez for me...
> >>

> > Ah right, I thought you don't use a mouse! So you use a joystick in
> > place of the keyboard...that's interesting. I tried to use my dual
> > analogue (Playstation controller clone one) joypad and UT2004 doesn't
> > recognise the buttons I press on the controller :/
>
> huh - thats strange. a joypad? i got one here too, but u can fix a
joystick
> at the table - nore a joypad. how would u make this? try a digital or
> analogue joystick. (digitals are hard to become - but got the advantage to
> make the doublejump easier)

I only even tried using a joypad because my little cousin (10 years old)
loves UT2004. He comes over here practically every Sunday to give my
(relatively) expensive keyboard and mouse a good whacking :/
June 24, 2004 2:29:50 AM

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> well, there a mods out there to be able to crouch. didn't u programme
> one?

Yep, for UT99

> also all these mods that make 2k3, utgoty feel like halflife?

Never seen them.

> the op meant to have the ability to have crouch-mod, of coarse
> nobody wants to prevent him of this, perhaps u might make a modified
> 2k4-crouch mod.

OP talked about rolling around, not crouching.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 3:46:08 AM

MeltDown wrote:
> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>> well, there a mods out there to be able to crouch. didn't u programme
>> one?
>
> Yep, for UT99
>
>> also all these mods that make 2k3, utgoty feel like halflife?
>
> Never seen them.

never saw them? that's still quite a big community

>> the op meant to have the ability to have crouch-mod, of coarse
>> nobody wants to prevent him of this, perhaps u might make a modified
>> 2k4-crouch mod.
>
> OP talked about rolling around, not crouching.
>
> MeltDown

sorry, thats my lack of english, rolling and crouching was the same for me
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:14:07 AM

MeltDown wrote:
> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>> well, there a mods out there to be able to crouch. didn't u programme
>> one?
>
> Yep, for UT99
>
>> also all these mods that make 2k3, utgoty feel like halflife?
>
> Never seen them.

uh, cause u r a linux freak, u dunno know about halflife mods? one of the
most abused engines beneath ut...

>> the op meant to have the ability to have crouch-mod, of coarse
>> nobody wants to prevent him of this, perhaps u might make a modified
>> 2k4-crouch mod.
>
> OP talked about rolling around, not crouching.
>
> MeltDown

oki doki, i was wrong. that's my problem with english spoken newsgroups...
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:34:32 AM

"Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> Blessed us with

> MeltDown wrote:
>> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>>> well, there a mods out there to be able to crouch. didn't u
>>> programme one?
>>
>> Yep, for UT99
>>
>>> also all these mods that make 2k3, utgoty feel like halflife?
>>
>> Never seen them.
>
> uh, cause u r a linux freak, u dunno know about halflife mods?
> one of the most abused engines beneath ut...

That's some pretty good flamebait there DG! You're gonna get burned!
LOL I've never personally heard of any halflife mods for UT.
Do you know the names of some of them?

>>> the op meant to have the ability to have crouch-mod, of coarse
>>> nobody wants to prevent him of this, perhaps u might make a
>>> modified 2k4-crouch mod.
>>
>> OP talked about rolling around, not crouching.
>>
>> MeltDown
>
> oki doki, i was wrong. that's my problem with english spoken
> newsgroups...

There is a german speaking group called de.alt.games.unreal but
none for UT or UT2003 that I can see. You're English is pretty
good though!. I can understand you most of the time. I can
also see where you might have problems reading other peoples
English though! :-(

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 24, 2004 12:35:24 PM

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>>> also all these mods that make 2k3, utgoty feel like halflife?
>>
>> Never seen them.
>
> uh, cause u r a linux freak, u dunno know about halflife mods? one
> of the most abused engines beneath ut...

you talked about mods that make UT feel like Halflife. Now you are
talking about halflife itself. Which is it?

> oki doki, i was wrong. that's my problem with english spoken
> newsgroups...

Then I suggest a dictionary. It's the only way to learn.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 2:09:23 PM

> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> >>
> >> Never seen them.
> >
> > uh, cause u r a linux freak, u dunno know about halflife mods? one
> > of the most abused engines beneath ut...
>
> you talked about mods that make UT feel like Halflife. Now you are
> talking about halflife itself. Which is it?
>
> > oki doki, i was wrong. that's my problem with english spoken
> > newsgroups...
>
> Then I suggest a dictionary. It's the only way to learn.

Also suggest reading more (good) English posts to see how English is
structured ;)
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:01:34 PM

JHall wrote:
> "Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> Blessed us with
>
>> MeltDown wrote:
>>> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>>>
>>> Yep, for UT99

>>> Never seen them.
>>
>> uh, cause u r a linux freak, u dunno know about halflife mods?
>> one of the most abused engines beneath ut...
>
> That's some pretty good flamebait there DG! You're gonna get burned!

i dont know that and can't translate "there DG!"
btw, i dont wanna start a flamewar, i respect melt's work in this ng.

> LOL I've never personally heard of any halflife mods for UT.
> Do you know the names of some of them?

sorry, my fault - didn't mean halflive i meant counterstrike wich is imho a
mod of halflive and had been addapted to utgoty / 200mb download

>>> OP talked about rolling around, not crouching.
>>>
>>> MeltDown
>>
>> oki doki, i was wrong. that's my problem with english spoken
>> newsgroups...
>
> There is a german speaking group called de.alt.games.unreal but

unreal is not the game that i'm addicted to. the tournament makes it.

> none for UT or UT2003 that I can see. You're English is pretty
> good though!. I can understand you most of the time. I can
> also see where you might have problems reading other peoples
> English though! :-(

thx
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:12:04 PM

MeltDown wrote:
> Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
>>>
>>> Never seen them.
>>
>> uh, cause u r a linux freak, u dunno know about halflife mods? one
>> of the most abused engines beneath ut...
>
> you talked about mods that make UT feel like Halflife. Now you are
> talking about halflife itself. Which is it?

hoped i made it clear in my post to jhall...

>> oki doki, i was wrong. that's my problem with english spoken
>> newsgroups...
>
> Then I suggest a dictionary. It's the only way to learn.
>
> MeltDown

i don't have that oxford english that u have, but u can understand me? thats
the origin of usenet? my dictionary is software called babylon (share). -
often helped me out cause of these acronyms in newsgroups.
June 24, 2004 8:06:49 PM

Humga enlightened us with:
> Also suggest reading more (good) English posts to see how English is
> structured ;)

That's a very good one!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 24, 2004 8:08:44 PM

Klaus Bregel enlightened us with:
> i don't have that oxford english that u have

Thanx for that. I learned by reading other posts, using dictionaries,
etc. Just as you, I'm not natively talking English - I'm Dutch.

> but u can understand me?

Not all the time. If you mix up "crouch" and "roll", it's very
difficult to follow.

> thats the origin of usenet? my dictionary is software called babylon
> (share). - often helped me out cause of these acronyms in
> newsgroups.

Other things you can use are 'dict' and 'wtf' - both are Open Source
programs.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:55:52 PM

> Humga enlightened us with:
> > Also suggest reading more (good) English posts to see how English is
> > structured ;)
>
> That's a very good one!

My ones are average because I make the posts as if they were in spoken form.
Your ones look better. Thingamigig should looks at yours ;)
June 24, 2004 11:08:16 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:06:49 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Humga enlightened us with:
>> Also suggest reading more (good) English posts to see how English is
>> structured ;)
>
>That's a very good one!
>
>MeltDown

Um, why don't you guys try writing posts in German instead?
June 25, 2004 4:51:36 AM

Humga enlightened us with:
> My ones are average because I make the posts as if they were in
> spoken form.

Then watch less movies and read more books ;-)

> Your ones look better.

Good :)

> Thingamigig should looks at yours ;)

Que?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 5:09:21 AM

thumper enlightened us with:
> Um, why don't you guys try writing posts in German instead?

Um, because I'm not German. I can hardly speak the language, let alone
write it. Why did you think otherwise?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 5:09:22 AM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:09:21 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>thumper enlightened us with:
>> Um, why don't you guys try writing posts in German instead?
>
>Um, because I'm not German. I can hardly speak the language, let alone
>write it. Why did you think otherwise?

Well, how come you guys seem to be jumping all over Klaus just because
he makes a few grammatical mistakes then? :-/
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:04:11 AM

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
with news:slrncdmmsc.c63.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

>> Thingamigig should looks at yours ;)
>
> Que?

I think he means "Thing-a-ma-jig", a North American slang expression
for a "What-cha-ma-call-it", or a "Do hickey"! I've also heard it
called a "Thing-a-ma-bob". Definition of all of the above is: A
description given to an object that the real name of which is not
known.

LOL :o )

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:17:35 AM

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:06:49 +0200, MeltDown
> <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
>
>>Humga enlightened us with:
>>> Also suggest reading more (good) English posts to see how
>>> English is structured ;)
>>
>>That's a very good one!
>>
>>MeltDown
>
> Um, why don't you guys try writing posts in German instead?

Seriously, that would be a stretch for most people at first, but
after a while I think we could do it!. There are several
different slangs of German though I belie!. I can also see how
someone that speaks, reads, and writes German can find it hard to
communicate in English just like I would find it hard to
communicate with someone in German. I put myself in other peoples
shoes first to understand their point of view. We should however
be somewhat more accepting of people that speak other languages at
first to give them an opportunity to learn English though since
there is only an English speaking UT group!. However if a person
habitually babbles in a foreign and or broken English all the time
they should be told that they are not learning English and to
consider a tutor.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 25, 2004 10:44:26 AM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:17:35 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

>> Um, why don't you guys try writing posts in German instead?
>
>Seriously, that would be a stretch for most people at first, but
>after a while I think we could do it!

But this isn't a German newsgroup. People should be tolerant of posts
by people whose first language isn't English, but encouraging people
to post in any language to English speaking newsgroups is a recipe for
total disaster.
June 25, 2004 10:44:27 AM

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> Blessed us with

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:17:35 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:
>
>>> Um, why don't you guys try writing posts in German instead?
>>
>>Seriously, that would be a stretch for most people at first, but
>>after a while I think we could do it!
>
> But this isn't a German newsgroup. People should be tolerant of
> posts by people whose first language isn't English, but
> encouraging people to post in any language to English speaking
> newsgroups is a recipe for total disaster.

Exactly, this isn't a German group, and I'm sorry you misconstrued
this as me encouraging people to post in a language other than
English, but the point I was trying to get across was that we
should put ourselves in other peoples shoes and walk a mile before
chewing someone out because of their native language. What I was
trying to say above was, hypothetically, say for instance it was
the other way around and there was no English UT group. I would
try to learn the language of the UT group if I wanted to
communicate with the people in it!. Do you think you could learn
to at least read and write German if you *had* no other choice for
communication? I believe I could, and that was all I was trying
to say!. I could have elaborated on it more but people often
times complain at me for being long winded as it is and I try to
give people the benefit of the doubt, that they have a brain, and
can figure it out themselves. Seriously though, how many people
do you think are *actually* going to try to turn this group into a
foreign language group just because I said "Seriously, that would
be a stretch for most people at first, but after a while I think
we could do it!"? I was only trying to give people the benefit of
the doubt here. I guess I should have put LOL or something after
I said that to make people think I wasn't really *serious* or I
should have said "hypothetically, that would be a stretch for most
people at first, but after a while I think we could do it!".

:-)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 25, 2004 11:42:04 AM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 06:24:05 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

>Exactly, this isn't a German group, and I'm sorry you misconstrued
>this as me encouraging people to post in a language other than
>English,

Fair enough, your message was a bit ambiguous.

>Do you think you could learn
>to at least read and write German if you *had* no other choice for
>communication?

No, that's why god invented Babelfish :-)
June 25, 2004 11:42:05 AM

> No, that's why god invented Babelfish :-)

What the heck is Babelfish! LOL I never heard of such a thing.
I'm curious! :-) Is is a translation service or program?

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 25, 2004 12:15:56 PM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:02:39 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:

>What the heck is Babelfish! LOL I never heard of such a thing.

babelfish.altavista.com

>I'm curious! :-) Is is a translation service or program?

Yes.
June 25, 2004 12:29:18 PM

"Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> wrote:

>> > oki doki, i was wrong. that's my problem with english spoken
>> > newsgroups...
>>
>> Then I suggest a dictionary. It's the only way to learn.
>>

>Also suggest reading more (good) English posts to see how English is
>structured ;)

*cough*

I'm not a native speaker myself, but I *highly* doubt reading usenet
is a good way to learn English. Correct English, anyway. I mean, you
never know if what you're reading comes from a native speaker, and
even if it does, things can still get... creative :)

....which brings a quote to my mind: "The most spoken language of the
world is bad English." ;)

Robert
June 25, 2004 12:48:48 PM

JHall enlightened us with:
> I think he means "Thing-a-ma-jig", a North American slang expression
> for a "What-cha-ma-call-it"

Now that you mention it I do recognise it. At first it looked more
like some ancient Egyptian god or something. :-D

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 12:49:49 PM

thumper enlightened us with:
> Well, how come you guys seem to be jumping all over Klaus just because
> he makes a few grammatical mistakes then? :-/

We aren't jumping all over him. He would be a messy pool of blood if I
did that, concidering my current weight and all ;-) Anyway, if nobody
tells you about your mistakes, how are you going to learn?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 1:15:57 PM

JHall enlightened us with:
> What the heck is Babelfish! LOL I never heard of such a thing. I'm
> curious! :-) Is is a translation service or program?

Read the Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. It's a
small fish that you put into your ear. It then converts everything you
hear into brainwaves, so you can understand it.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 1:15:58 PM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:15:57 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Read the Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. It's a
>small fish that you put into your ear. It then converts everything you
>hear into brainwaves, so you can understand it.

Its a nightmare to catch one as it comes out of the dispenser though!
June 25, 2004 1:17:08 PM

Andrew enlightened us with:
>>I'm curious! :-) Is is a translation service or program?
>
> Yes.

It's not - it's a fish you stick into your ear ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
June 25, 2004 3:39:12 PM

Robert Mischke enlightened us with:
> I'm not a native speaker myself, but I *highly* doubt reading usenet
> is a good way to learn English. Correct English, anyway.

LOL yeah, that's right ;-) The best way to learn how to speak English
is to go to England for a while. Or Scotland of course :-P

MeltDown
!