Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Laptop dead; how to clear CMOS of Toshiba Satellite Pro 46..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 7:40:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

All,

I ran CPU-Z on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, and after a second the
screen went to black, and since then the laptop does not boot anymore.
Only the left three LEDs at the front are lit, and the machine does not
make any noise.

The author insists that CPU-Z only reads from the BIOS settings and
processor values, and does not change anything, so I am not 100% sure it
is related to the problem.

His advice is to clear the CMOS, but I do not know how to do this. The
trick with the ESC key does not work (machine does not boot at all), and
I tried to make the designated LPT loopback plug, but it did not give any
result.

I have opened up the laptop and seen (almost) every part, but I cannot
find the CMOS battery, or a jumper to clear it.

If anyone knows how to clear the CMOS, or recover from this situation, it
would be appreciated a lot.

Thanks,
Sander
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 7:40:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Are you sure the machine has battery-backed CMOS? It could have a large
capacitor to provide backup for the CMOS. Or *perhaps* it uses Flash RAM.

MB


On 11/13/04 11:40 am Sander Goudswaard put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace:

> I ran CPU-Z on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, and after a second the
> screen went to black, and since then the laptop does not boot anymore.
> Only the left three LEDs at the front are lit, and the machine does not
> make any noise.
>
> The author insists that CPU-Z only reads from the BIOS settings and
> processor values, and does not change anything, so I am not 100% sure it
> is related to the problem.
>
> His advice is to clear the CMOS, but I do not know how to do this. The
> trick with the ESC key does not work (machine does not boot at all), and
> I tried to make the designated LPT loopback plug, but it did not give any
> result.
>
> I have opened up the laptop and seen (almost) every part, but I cannot
> find the CMOS battery, or a jumper to clear it.
>
> If anyone knows how to clear the CMOS, or recover from this situation, it
> would be appreciated a lot.
November 13, 2004 10:07:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 13 Nov 2004 16:40:13 GMT, Sander Goudswaard
<news@sander.goudswaard.verwijderdit.cx> wrote:

>All,
>
>I ran CPU-Z on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, and after a second the
>screen went to black, and since then the laptop does not boot anymore.
>Only the left three LEDs at the front are lit, and the machine does not
>make any noise.
>
>The author insists that CPU-Z only reads from the BIOS settings and
>processor values, and does not change anything, so I am not 100% sure it
>is related to the problem.
>
>His advice is to clear the CMOS, but I do not know how to do this. The
>trick with the ESC key does not work (machine does not boot at all), and
>I tried to make the designated LPT loopback plug, but it did not give any
>result.
>
>I have opened up the laptop and seen (almost) every part, but I cannot
>find the CMOS battery, or a jumper to clear it.
>
>If anyone knows how to clear the CMOS, or recover from this situation, it
>would be appreciated a lot.
>
>Thanks,
>Sander
You are liucky...in your case the cmos battery isn't soldered in, but
is connected by a jumper. The battery should be under a piece of tape,
just above the battery compartment. The jumper connection is at the
lower left of the motherboard. next to 2 other jumpers. You need to
take off the whole top cover to get to it, but if you've done that,
it's probably the tape that kept you from finding the cmos battery.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 14, 2004 7:40:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

CMOS normally is battery backed; in contrast to the memory used to store
the password, which is flash in almost all modern computers.

On most Toshiba models, there is a small battery (or two) for that under
the keyboard. Note, it won't clear a password, but it will clear the
"classical CMOS parameters".


Minnie Bannister wrote:

> Are you sure the machine has battery-backed CMOS? It could have a large
> capacitor to provide backup for the CMOS. Or *perhaps* it uses Flash RAM.
>
> MB
>
>
> On 11/13/04 11:40 am Sander Goudswaard put fingers to keyboard and
> launched the following message into cyberspace:
>
>> I ran CPU-Z on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, and after a second the
>> screen went to black, and since then the laptop does not boot anymore.
>> Only the left three LEDs at the front are lit, and the machine does
>> not make any noise.
>>
>> The author insists that CPU-Z only reads from the BIOS settings and
>> processor values, and does not change anything, so I am not 100% sure
>> it is related to the problem.
>>
>> His advice is to clear the CMOS, but I do not know how to do this. The
>> trick with the ESC key does not work (machine does not boot at all),
>> and I tried to make the designated LPT loopback plug, but it did not
>> give any result.
>>
>> I have opened up the laptop and seen (almost) every part, but I cannot
>> find the CMOS battery, or a jumper to clear it.
>>
>> If anyone knows how to clear the CMOS, or recover from this situation,
>> it would be appreciated a lot.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 14, 2004 7:25:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Joe < alakran@HATusers.easynews.com> wrote in
news:5kfdp0pktgjokp8n80qoise5r30817tb91@4ax.com:
> You are liucky...in your case the cmos battery isn't soldered in, but
> is connected by a jumper. The battery should be under a piece of tape,
> just above the battery compartment. The jumper connection is at the
> lower left of the motherboard. next to 2 other jumpers. You need to
> take off the whole top cover to get to it, but if you've done that,
> it's probably the tape that kept you from finding the cmos battery.

Thanks a lot for all suggestions, I'll give this a try :-)

Sander
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 15, 2004 12:32:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Sander Goudswaard <news@sander.goudswaard.verwijderdit.cx> wrote in
news:Xns95A1B14715D557574505Bjvrqvgyrrfgv@194.109.133.29:

> Thanks a lot for all suggestions, I'll give this a try :-)

I found the battery connector and disconnected it for a few minutes, then
reassembled the laptop and... it remains dead.

When connected to AC, LEDs 1 and 3 are lit. When I press Power On, the 2nd
LED becomes green as well. I would expect LED 4 to light too, but nothing
happens here - no sound comes from the laptop at all.

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem and/or how to recover
from it?

Thanks,
Sander
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 10:20:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On or about 14 Nov 2004 21:32:17 GMT, Sander Goudswaard allegedly wrote:

> Sander Goudswaard <news@sander.goudswaard.verwijderdit.cx> wrote in
> news:Xns95A1B14715D557574505Bjvrqvgyrrfgv@194.109.133.29:
>
> > Thanks a lot for all suggestions, I'll give this a try :-)
>
> I found the battery connector and disconnected it for a few minutes, then
> reassembled the laptop and... it remains dead.
>
> When connected to AC, LEDs 1 and 3 are lit. When I press Power On, the 2nd
> LED becomes green as well. I would expect LED 4 to light too, but nothing
> happens here - no sound comes from the laptop at all.

LED4 shows HD activity, so presumably it's hung at bios start.


Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2004 2:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Noel Bachelor wrote:
> On or about 14 Nov 2004 21:32:17 GMT, Sander Goudswaard allegedly
> wrote:
>
>> Sander Goudswaard <news@sander.goudswaard.verwijderdit.cx> wrote in
>> news:Xns95A1B14715D557574505Bjvrqvgyrrfgv@194.109.133.29:
>>
>> > Thanks a lot for all suggestions, I'll give this a try :-)
>>
>> I found the battery connector and disconnected it for a few
>> minutes, then reassembled the laptop and... it remains dead.
>>
>> When connected to AC, LEDs 1 and 3 are lit. When I press Power On,
>> the 2nd LED becomes green as well. I would expect LED 4 to light
>> too, but nothing happens here - no sound comes from the laptop at
>> all.
>
> LED4 shows HD activity, so presumably it's hung at bios start.
>
>
> Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)

Is there a reset button somewhere, maybe associated with the RAM
compartment? If there is, this will reset BIOS to defaults and *maybe*
allow a normal start.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 12:02:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:fv-dnWJ6Np7fBgbcRVn-
vg@comcast.com:

> Is there a reset button somewhere, maybe associated with the RAM
> compartment? If there is, this will reset BIOS to defaults and *maybe*
> allow a normal start.

Good question. Removing the internal backup battery for a while did not
help. There is a reset button at the outside, but it does not change
anything.

Any Toshiba gurus?

/Sander
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 18, 2004 12:57:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Sander Goudswaard wrote:
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:fv-dnWJ6Np7fBgbcRVn-
> vg@comcast.com:
>
>> Is there a reset button somewhere, maybe associated with the RAM
>> compartment? If there is, this will reset BIOS to defaults and
>> *maybe* allow a normal start.
>
> Good question. Removing the internal backup battery for a while did
> not help. There is a reset button at the outside, but it does not
> change anything.
>
> Any Toshiba gurus?
>
> /Sander

This works on many older laptops: remove AC adapter and battery. Hold
power key down for one minute. Power with AC only, no battery, and see
if it will power normally.

Q
November 23, 2004 7:37:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:FsCdnSyCMapatgHcRVn-
pQ@comcast.com:

> This works on many older laptops: remove AC adapter and battery. Hold
> power key down for one minute. Power with AC only, no battery, and see
> if it will power normally.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately it did not help :-/

Sander
November 24, 2004 12:19:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 23 Nov 2004 16:37:26 GMT, Sander
<news@sander.g-cutthisout-oudswaard.cx> wrote:

>"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in news:FsCdnSyCMapatgHcRVn-
>pQ@comcast.com:
>
>> This works on many older laptops: remove AC adapter and battery. Hold
>> power key down for one minute. Power with AC only, no battery, and see
>> if it will power normally.
>
>Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately it did not help :-/
>
>Sander
How confident are you with soldering(not smc or traces) the mb?
Would you be able to run the MB safely on a test bench, stripped down?
If so, I've got some ideas which have worked for me in the past with
the same problem
November 26, 2004 7:29:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Joe <alakran@HATusers.easynews.com> wrote in
news:ff38q01tgfp9n396fqqsgjqt277jo1ps46@4ax.com:

>>Sander
> How confident are you with soldering(not smc or traces) the mb?
> Would you be able to run the MB safely on a test bench, stripped down?
> If so, I've got some ideas which have worked for me in the past with
> the same problem

I am sure I can't, but a friend of mine could perhaps try. Can you tell a
little more in what direction you think the problem is?

Thanks,
Sander
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 12, 2004 8:32:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello Sander
i read the text and have the same problem.
Have you find a solution. Can send me an Email?

with best wishes from Germany

R. Richter
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 12, 2004 8:32:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello Sander
i read the text and have the same problem.
Have you find a solution. Can send me an Email?

with best wishes from Germany

R. Richter
December 12, 2004 9:57:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi there I was wondering if you could send me the same info on the
soldering my name is matt I am a member of the group
December 17, 2004 4:49:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Sharky" <californiaron1@aol.com> wrote in news:1102863466.688110.140670
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hi there I was wondering if you could send me the same info on the
> soldering my name is matt I am a member of the group
>

Haven't seen any yet.

Sander
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 18, 2004 4:11:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have exactly the same problem, the leds works just fine, but there
is no activity on the hard disk or in the procesor (I know it because
the fan doesnt work either).

I think that might be a BIOS related trouble, so I am going to try the
things that you gays describe to reset the CMOS. I let you now if i
have some lucky with all that
December 18, 2004 8:14:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

tx7mf@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (albomorado) wrote in
comp.sys.laptops:

> you gays

You learn one every day.


--
CeeBee


"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 19, 2004 4:07:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

my mistake. my english is not very good, so what do you mean with "You
learn one every day."
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2011 12:52:35 PM

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT TILL NOW I CANT SOLVE IT..
October 12, 2012 8:08:29 PM

julle is dom naaie hulle weet nie wat is die verskil tussen
a cold shutdown and a flash the bios gebruik jou tottie
!