Add/Remove Programs Slow

On a new intsallation of WinXp (all latestupdates) it takes quite a bit of
time, > 5 minutes, for the add remove program list to be populated. Any
ideas why this is so? What can I do to speed up this activity?

mc

Next time before trying to access Control Panel rt click on the
Desktop>select Properties>Themes>Windows Classic.
Click on Apply Ok. For some reason that works on occasion.