Lexar 40X CF Card

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 22, 2004 10:29:58 PM

About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.

So, I would like to tell about something good.

I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out the
door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted my
pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there. It
wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then to
my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
night before.

I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF card
was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a chance
on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519- which
is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera on.

Lexar makes a good product...

Brian
Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"

More about : lexar 40x card

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:29:59 PM

SkyPilot <skypilotnospam@writeme.com> writes:

> and not wanting to take a chance
> on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer.

:-> Got your priorities, huh?

December 22, 2004 10:29:59 PM

I washed a Palm Pilot a year ago. It didn't fare well, but the SD card is
still in service.
Damned cargo pockets!

"SkyPilot" <skypilotnospam@writeme.com> wrote in message
> About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
>
> So, I would like to tell about something good.
>
> I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out
> the
> door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted
> my
> pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there.
> It
> wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then
> my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
> uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
> night before.
>
> I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF
> card
> was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a
> chance
> on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
> immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519-
> which
> is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera
> on.
>
> Lexar makes a good product...
>
> Brian
> Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares
> wins"
> Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
> B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
> Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
> Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
> "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
December 22, 2004 10:30:00 PM

new method for "cleaning" dirty pictures.........needs more work!

HNY

December 22, 2004 10:40:43 PM

SkyPilot wrote:
> About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
>
> So, I would like to tell about something good.
>
> I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out the
> door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted my
> pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there. It
> wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then to
> my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
> uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
> night before.
>
> I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF card
> was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a chance
> on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
> immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519- which
> is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera on.
>
> Lexar makes a good product...

I wonder how a micro drive would have fared.

> Brian
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 4:59:39 AM

"SkyPilot" <skypilotnospam@writeme.com> wrote in message
> About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
>
> So, I would like to tell about something good.
>
> I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out
the
> door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted
my
> pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there.
It
> wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then
> my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
> uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
> night before.
>
> I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF
card
> was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a
chance
> on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
> immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519-
which
> is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera
on.

> Lexar makes a good product...

Are you sure it's Lexar?

I's say it's really your washing machine company that makes a good product!
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:01:06 AM

"SkyPilot" <skypilotnospam@writeme.com> wrote in message
> About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
>
> So, I would like to tell about something good.
>
> I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out
the
> door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted
my
> pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there.
It
> wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then
> my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
> uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
> night before.
>
> I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF
card
> was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a
chance
> on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
> immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519-
which
> is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera
on.

> Lexar makes a good product...

The washing machines only erase "dirty" images away like those naughty nudie
pictures that Skip M takes.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:28:53 AM

"SkyPilot" <skypilotnospam@writeme.com> wrote in message
> About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
>
> So, I would like to tell about something good.
>
> I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out
the
> door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted
my
> pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there.
It
> wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then
> my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
> uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
> night before.
>
> I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF
card
> was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a
chance
> on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
> immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519-
which
> is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera
on.

> Lexar makes a good product...
>
> Brian

I hate to be the pessimist, Brian, but you're not out of the woods yet. The
problem that you have started is called corrosion. It doesn't happen
overnight.

Clyde Torres
December 23, 2004 9:31:19 AM

I guess that I should have mentioned in my original post that this
happened over two months ago. I am just now getting around to writing
the story.

That CF card is still plugging along.

Brian
December 23, 2004 11:49:24 AM

SkyPilot wrote:
> About the only time you hear about a product is when something goes wrong.
>
> So, I would like to tell about something good.
>
> I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and before I went out the
> door I checked the capture counter on my D100. It read -E- and I patted my
> pocket to see if my Lexar 512mb 40X Compact Flash Memory card was there. It
> wasn't there and then I had to think about the last place I saw it. Then to
> my horror I remembered that I had put it in my shirt pocket (I wear a
> uniform and the shirt pockets have flaps), and I had washed that shirt the
> night before.
>
> I went to the garage, opened the dryer and pulled out the shirt. My CF card
> was still in the pocket. Fearing the worst and not wanting to take a chance
> on harming the camera, I put the CF card in my computer. The CF card was
> immediately recognized. Then I put it the camera and up popped -519- which
> is the normal number of captures for the quality that I keep the camera on.
>
> Lexar makes a good product...
>
> Brian

..... maybe if you had used enzyme soak cycle things would've turn out
different?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

<skypilot@writeme.com> wrote in message
> I guess that I should have mentioned in my original post that this
> happened over two months ago. I am just now getting around to writing
> the story.
>
> That CF card is still plugging along.
>
> Brian

I sounds amazing that a CF card would survive a machine wash programme, but
that's more or less what I'd expect of any brand. After all, during
production the printed circuit board is baked at > 200°C, and I can't see
any mechanical problems either.
Clyde is right, however. At least partly. Corrosion could become a problem
if there remain contaminants on the contacts or chip pins. The packages of
the chips are sealed.
If it happens again (you just *know* it will) rince in distilled water, that
will wash away any contaminants. Then force-dry, a hairdryer will do fine.
The card has been wet for a short time, but is now clean and dry. I guess a
week in south-east Asia during the monsoon season will be worse,
corrosion-wise.
If I'm wrong and the card would fail after all (which I hope it doesn't),
please let us know.

Steven
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:10:14 AM

Kibo informs me that "Clyde Torres" <clyde_torres@hotmale.com> stated
that:

[washed CF card]

>I hate to be the pessimist, Brian, but you're not out of the woods yet. The
>problem that you have started is called corrosion. It doesn't happen
>overnight.

True. The solution is to 'bake' the card in a dry, warm (not hot!)
environment for a few days to drive out the moisture. Putting it in a
small box with some dessicant sachets (eg; from pill bottles or
equipment boxes) & in front of a heater should do the job nicely.