Sign in with
Your question

System crashes approximately 5 seconds after loading desktop

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2010 4:16:48 AM

Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble with my computer. For about 2 years now, my computer has been running fairly stable, until 2 days ago when I would boot up into Windows 7, and it would either freeze immediately at the desktop, or freeze about 5-10 minutes later. I have overclocked my processor, but this is the first when my computer would fail to operate at least semi-stable.

In the past, I have had some problems with POST, where it wouldn't progress past the detection of the hard drives, and upon reset, the CMOS would auto clear. After resetting the CMOS manually, everything would work perfectly, and I would begin to overclock again, and I would remain stable for a while, with the occasional POST failure. There was a setting in the BIOS to disable POST error stops, and I enabled that, and for about 3 months before this issue, I was running stable, all going well. Could it be an issue with my cpu being overclocked to death or something?

I have tried one ram stick at a time, reseating the CPU, unplugging and replugging connections for power and data cables, and the usual.

Any input is really appreciated. :) 

EDIT: I also remember when trying to repair the installation of Windows 7, it said it couldn't detect the OS on the HDD, which I found to be an odd error. I attempted the Repair Partition tool in the CD, and it said it repaired a faulty OS partition. The error however, still remains.

Windows 7 Ultimate
EVGA nForce 780i SLI
Intel Q9550 2.83ghz stock (OC'ed to approx. 3.4)
2x 2gb Corsair Dominator 1066
XFX GeForce 9800GTX+
Soundblaster Audigy SE+
ASUS DVD-RW Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1TB
July 22, 2010 4:37:26 AM

if it was BSOD'n i would think the OC is the problem. but freezing, that sounds like a system sriver, or the drive itself. have you ran check disk? or scanned for bad sectors? updated drivers? maybe reinstalling the OS?

arent those 1tb barracudas the ones having firmware issues before?
July 22, 2010 4:56:14 AM

I was actually gonna run checkdisk next, but I am away from my desktop at the moment. I also thought of installing W7 on this other HD I have, maybe that will help troubleshoot the barracuda?

Yes, these barracudas did have problems - in fact, this is my replacement barracuda for the notorious drive lock problems, but the problem before was the bios didn't detect the drive whatsoever.
!