Sign in with
Your question

Cannot Reformat Corrupt External HD

Last response: in Storage
September 30, 2012 8:16:05 PM

My new computer case has front-facing USB3.0 ports with a motherboard connector on the inside. My motherboard has no pins for front USB3.0, so I bought a 19-pin adapter offa eBay to turn the thing into a double Male-A pass-through dealy. It seemed to work fine with USB2.0 tasks like printing and reading my 4-gig Kingston Flash Drive, but was finicky with my USB3.0 WD My Passport (can't remember it's size, just that it's either 500, 750, or 1Tb). Sometimes explorer would retrieve files perfectly, others it would tell me that the dirve needed to be formatted before use.

So I played around with it blah blah blah now it's corrupt. I've recovered the files I actually wanted by rooting through it with Recuva, and now I want to reformat so I can use it again (and boo-sucks to the adapter). However, Disk Management can't reformat the drive.
What do.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 8:42:31 PM

Well it sounds like it does not like that adaptor, however if all that you want to do is format it, just hook it up for now to a usb 2.0 port
September 30, 2012 8:48:24 PM

That's not the problem. I've disconnected the adapter and the drive is now connected directly to a 3.0 port on the back.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 8:52:43 PM

IkklThePickle said:
That's not the problem. I've disconnected the adapter and the drive is now connected directly to a 3.0 port on the back.

Okay, I didn't see where you said that in your post.

Test the hard drive as it could be bad.
WD has software that comes with their USB drives that tests the drive.
September 30, 2012 10:33:53 PM

What I don't understand with my problem is how there could be a physical problem with the drive when it's perfectly possible to access thes files with programs like Recuva. It seems like the problem would just be with data, and yet windows can't d a thing with it. I've even tried to use the Diskpart "Clean All" command, and all it tells me is that "The system cannot find the file specified."

Infuriating.

EDIT: Welp, I disconnected it again and then stuck it in a different 3.0 port. This time it didn't show up in windows explorer, but now it's formatting.
So, stay tuned I guess?
!