Sign in with
Your question

Affordability of a z68 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
May 5, 2011 8:24:28 PM

Hi guys, I am going to be buying an i5-2500k chip from my local shop tomorrow, and I am in a bit of a flux on what to do with my motherboard situation. I won't be doing crossfire/sli but i would like an overclocking option so it's either the p67 or the z68 motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That motherboard has all the features I need, but alas, it's a p67 chipset. Will I find something similar to that price-wise on the z68 motherboard in the upcoming week? I wouldn't want to pay $160+ just so I can have the igpu features, yet I'm not sure I want it blocked off on the p67.

This has been a huge debate between myself for the whole need, I'd appreciate the advice, thanks.
May 6, 2011 1:01:09 AM

wildemu said:
Hi guys, I am going to be buying an i5-2500k chip from my local shop tomorrow, and I am in a bit of a flux on what to do with my motherboard situation. I won't be doing crossfire/sli but i would like an overclocking option so it's either the p67 or the z68 motherboard.

That motherboard has all the features I need, but alas, it's a p67 chipset. Will I find something similar to that price-wise on the z68 motherboard in the upcoming week? I wouldn't want to pay $160+ just so I can have the igpu features, yet I'm not sure I want it blocked off on the p67.

This has been a huge debate between myself for the whole need, I'd appreciate the advice, thanks.

You might try the AsRock Z68 Pro3, then. It may not come in at quite the price point you would want, but it may be a better board for overclocking than a GA-P67A-D3-B3. This spreadsheet is a good guide for the P67 boards, and the similarly named Z68s should be close in features. I wish they made better enthusiast/overclocking boards for those who never SLI, such as me. I'm coming from an Asus A8N-E, which was good, but I want quite a bit more overclockability so I'm moving to a mid- to mid-high range board like the Asus P8Z68-V Pro because that's what's out first in a Z68 (the Deluxe may not yet be available) and I want to get close to 5Ghz with an A70 cooler. We'll see, but inevitably I'll need a board that can remain stable under such demanding power conditions. I also do video editing so it's all about the Quick Sync for me, and maybe SSD caching if the 20GB Intel SSD coming out is under $50.

EDIT: A few recent developments (as of May 7 2011) a bit off your topic, but add information to some of the unknowns stated above:
1.) the Intel Larsen Creek 20GB hard drive is now said to be $119 at launch and the performance figures are underwhelming, quite a different picture than what Asrock painted.
2.) The Asus P8Z68 series is a bit different from the P8P67 series in terms of power delivery. The prospect of a P8Z68 Deluxe was exciting, but I don't see a reason to go above a P8Z68-V Pro (same 12+4 phase power for all 3 Z68 boards; up from the P8P67 Pro's 12+2 to the P8Z68-V Pro's 12+4, down from the P8P67 Deluxe's 16+2 to the P8Z68 Deluxe's 12+4). The Deluxe may even be losing the onboard ports (if that's what Virtu in d-Mode only means).

3.) Asus may launch 2 more higher-end boards at the end of the month (Maximus IV Extreme-Z and Maximus IV Gene-Z).
4.) Intel's 7-series Panther Point chipsets and Ivy Bridge CPUs may be around in a year's time (or so), possibly doubling the speed of Quick Sync, and adding a number of other goodies. All consumer non-business Panther Point chipsets are said to allow CPU overclocking.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4318/intel-roadmap-ivy-br...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4318/intel-roadmap-ivy-br...
This could drive down the prices of overclocking motherboards putting them in your price range, but it's a ways away. Good new is, both are LGA 1155 so will be compatible with your planned 6-series Cougar Point chipsets (H67/P67/Z68) and Sandy Bridge CPU hardware to some extent, though not all features - more details at the 2 links above.

So it all depends on how long you want to wait and what your ultimate budget is.
May 11, 2011 8:50:54 AM

wildemu said:

The z68 version of the board you wanted is out at newegg now, and it's $119.99 (GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3-B3), $10 more than the P67, though it says discrete graphics card is required. For $124.99, the GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 has video ports... The ASRock Z68 PRO3 I mentioned earlier is $129.99. Add tax (depends on your state) and shipping ($7.56) for each. All very good entry price points, no?
May 18, 2011 4:03:27 PM

I think the best board for the buck and its features, z68-wise, is the GA-Z68A-D3H-B3.

For roughly $135, you get sli/crossfire capability, the sata6/usb3 ports, virtu lucidlogix capability, and of course the overclocking.

It's almost the same as GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 but it doesn't have front panel usb 3.0. The $40 (im including tax and shipping) increase isn't worth it for me.
!