Sign in with
Your question

Graphics causing sound problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2010 8:51:14 PM

Hi

I bought a USB sound card recently to use with my laptop. I've been having problems with popping and crackling sounds, and it seems to be because of the NVIDIA graphics card - when I disable it, the sound is perfect. I get the problems mostly when watching video.

I know there have been problems with the 'powermizer' function of NVIDIA cards, but I downloaded the latest beta driver which is supposed to address this and the problem is still occurring.

My laptop is an Acer 5739G, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 240M graphics.

If anyone can help I'd be grateful, I don't know what else to try. Thanks :) 
June 14, 2010 11:30:02 AM

It's probably because your laptop doesn't have the wattage to run everything at once. That's all I can imagine, seeing as it is a laptop.

That's my best guess. Have you tried plugging in the the card into a desktop to see what happens, or try another sound card?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2010 3:03:49 PM

jcpwn3r said:
It's probably because your laptop doesn't have the wattage to run everything at once. That's all I can imagine, seeing as it is a laptop.

That's my best guess. Have you tried plugging in the the card into a desktop to see what happens, or try another sound card?

Thanks, I've tried it on another laptop (Sony Vaio) and sound plays perfectly on that. Also my internal sound (Realtek) is fine. I would've thought my laptop would be powerful enough to cope...even my old, old laptop worked fine with the USB sound card !

You don't think it's a problem with the graphics card then?
Related resources
June 14, 2010 11:03:05 PM

Since you have a dedicated sound chip and your video card isn't producing the sound, I don't see how they could be a problem...

another hypothesis (or shot in the dark) is there might be some kind of electrical interference?

Have you asked the manufacturer to see what they say
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2010 11:02:54 AM

jcpwn3r said:
Since you have a dedicated sound chip and your video card isn't producing the sound, I don't see how they could be a problem...

another hypothesis (or shot in the dark) is there might be some kind of electrical interference?

Have you asked the manufacturer to see what they say

Well the graphics card can cause high DPC latency which is one explanation for the sound dropouts (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=157614). Also like I said when I disable the graphics card in device manager the sound works ok, every time..

Acer claim it's a problem with the USB sound card, I know it isn't though :/ 
!