Graphics card overheating

G

I've been having a problem with the monitor recently, it suddenly goes blank while I'm playing games creating an infinity sound loop if there's sound playing and forcing me to restart the computer. I don't have to be playing anything hardcore, Ijji Gunz or the browser demo of Infinity will do it.

After reading the forums I downloaded CPUID Hardware Manager which tells me the graphics card is 66C when idle and approaching 100C when playing games, so I think it's probably an over heating issue. I tried a system restore and it doesn't seem to be the new drivers.

I've cleaned my computer fan, I didn't remove the small fan on the GPU but it looks very clean. The computer itself is fairly new and there is lots of space inside the case.

- Packard Bell ixtreme M3720
- Vista 64 bit
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
- 2.50 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- Nvidia GeForce GT 220

Do you think overheating is the problem? and if so, what can I do about it?

G

I'm not an expert on cooling but it sounds like your case is not well ventilated, how many and what size are your case fans? Did you build?

G

No it's a shop deal.

There's one large fan sucking air in from the side and there's a small green fan on the graphics card which appears to be just moving air around. I've taken the case side off and played like that but there's no difference.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
is the cpu getting hot? that is a quad core in a small case, either that or you have a faulty card but maybe you should try 3rd party cooler for the card and cpu like a zalman copper cooler (one that fits your card). the system is in a matx case

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
id get a new vga cooler or replace the card and otherwise a bigger case, my hd 2900xt is a hot card and idles at 50*c in a full atx case but your card should idle no were near that. the gt220 is based on a 45nm die so should be natrually cool.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
well... seems to be gfx card over heating...
i too had the same prob wen i had my 8600GT.. gpu-z even showed 115c, i dnt know y its still alive for the past 1 year it runs like that..
well is urs a single slot card?

G

My fan speed never changes from 50%, is that a problem?

I think so, it takes 1 orange slot.

weehamish

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
It only changes when under heavy load and none games seem to stress it atm i havent tried crysis because its boring and ive already completed it.

Every other game i run at max, dow 2, fallout 3, wow, risen ect, has no problems.

But 1 bug on the dow 2 menu screen my card heats up to 88C and goes above 50% fan speed, dunno why because ingame it runs cooler!!

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Firstly, if you've had it in there for a while, actually remove the card and make sure you have got all the dust out, the fan might look clean but there could be dust blocking the fins of the heatsink, restricting the airflow.
You may need to re-seat the cooler on the graphics card with some new thermal compound. Sometimes the contact between the base of the cooler and gpu isn't very good when they slap it together in the factory. I had a Gecube card once and literally only half the heatsink was in contact with the chip! (This may invalidate your warranty if you have any left.)
The other option is to up the fan speed manually using rivatuner or ntune.

G

Solved :)

There was a dust layer across where the air flows, it maxes at 65C now.