Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Someone please point me in the right direction (first time build)

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2010 5:29:27 AM

First time build, trying to say under $2000. Gaming / media computer, something that i can learn to do more advanced things to improve my performance such as ... Overclocking, timing, cooling... reading forums hasn't taking me very far yet but maybe someone can narrow down my search.

With the help of a good local friend I have been able to pick out these parts, but I want to make sure if i sink money into something it will all be in proper working order. looking for advice and/or links to get down to specifics about what i need to know before building. I should mention I have read the forums related to new builds, On this site, and I still feel like i need more direction.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor.
- With to cool, ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.
- I like the possibilities with future expansion for video cards, also I hear very simple to overclock with.

Case: Thermaltake ArmorPlus VH6000BWS Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower.

Video card: XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support.

Any info for these parts, do they seem like the begging to a good gaming / media PC?

confused as to What:
- Ram to choose. What timing is best when overclocking? best speed for my mobo?
- Hard drive(s) to choose. i've heard good things about using a raid device to increase the speed for my gaming.
- Power supply to choose. mega confused about this one. no idea how to figure out the proper supply.
July 22, 2010 5:32:11 AM

Well you say your budget is 2000 but that seems like a pretty loose figure. How much do you no kidding want to spend.

Because at a $2000 price point I'd recommend an Intel build over AMD right now.

Best solution

July 22, 2010 5:34:38 AM

Please post using the template below, it gives us all the info we need to help you pick out parts for your build.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

Also take a look at tecmo's recommended builds to get an idea of what you should be looking at in your price range, for 2k i would definitely do an i7 930 build.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended...

If you want to learn a bit more about how to pick out parts read through proximon's guide, i found it quite helpful when i was learning
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257075-31-guide-choos...
Related resources
July 22, 2010 7:29:06 AM

Is it just me, it seems since the stickies were consolidated none of the people asking for help have been able to find them.

I'm thinking of contacting a moderator and at least having the BOOT/NO VIDEO and the How to ask for new build advice stickies returned to their own individual stickies.
July 23, 2010 2:44:08 AM

Okay, i'll be using that template and work on a better post. thanks for understanding. this site is awesome, but a bit hard to find exactly what I need to be reading.
July 23, 2010 8:19:58 AM

Before u think u need remotely near $2k for a gaming rig i show you my $820AR config 1st :p  Bout $1.2k under $2000 no hehe
July 23, 2010 8:48:35 AM

For the power supply question, higher power is (usually) always better. Especially when you're aiming to overclock. But the features such as 80+ gold standard, active PFC, PSU fan size, and internal components quality (especially the capacitors) are also very important. The products made by well known companies usually live up to their reputation (and price). Just make sure to have a higher (I recommend 1,5 x) power compared to your system's requirements to give the PSU some breathing room. Also pay attention to the warranty given by the manufacturer. Just in case the PSU is faulty, although the chances are very slim considering the high standards of QC.
July 25, 2010 7:03:01 PM

Best answer selected by Deven.
!