Sign in with
Your question

Good Airflow Small Case? (also PSU suggestions?)

Last response: in Components
September 22, 2010 11:55:06 PM

Hello, all :) 

Ok, I got a super good deal on a new Athlon II x4 620 and a M4A785TD-M Evo mobo last year and they have been sitting on my shelf ever since. I have been wanting to try overclocking for a while, and haven't really wanted to try it on my active computer... (don't wanna burn out my nice stuff as a first-time overclocker ;) ).

Anyway, I am considering the possibility of using these parts in a computer build for learning to overclock (gonna definately read up on it lots first).

I am trying to find a good, small case (like a lan party case or something) that has excellent airflow so I won't burn out my processor/graphics card so easy. I would possibly like to use this computer for hauling around different places if there is a lan party or something, so I would like it to be portable, hopefully with a handle or something.

Now to the killer... price. I am not wanting to pay out a bunch of money on this computer, so I am looking for a case less than probably around $50 or less.

I have been looking at the NZXT Vulcan, that looks like a nice case... but its $70. If I must, I could get a $70 case, but am kinda short on cash now.

Any suggestions?

As another question (seeing as how this is not only a case forum, but also power supply ;) ) I don't really have an idea of how much wattage I need for a PSU. As previously stated, I have never overclocked anything, so I don't know how much more power overclocked hardware (not just looking to overclock the CPU, I am wanting to overclock the ram, video card, and whatever else I decide to). I am not looking to crossfire/sli, so I wouldn't have multiple video cards using energy. Any ideas of how much wattage I would need for such an undertaking? Also, low-priced suggestions are welcome :) 

Thanks!
a b ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
September 23, 2010 3:39:53 AM

Newegg has an apex tx-381-c micro atx case with handle for around $25 shipped with email promo code, if you are registered with them. I would also get a corsair power supply in whatever size you can afford. Even the lowest rated corsair will outperform many other brands under load with it's single 12v rail.
m
l
September 23, 2010 6:40:22 AM

the antec 300 is like 69 dollars, and is a slammin case. It has sweet airflow, you can add extra fans, and is pretty sweet. I wish I had bought one instead of my current Apevia Dream3r. If you can swing the 70 bux, you'll be happier in the end.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2010 7:46:16 AM

How about the CM Elite 430? That should be good. Although The Antec one mentioned above is rocking case!

Agree with Twoboxer with the 450W suggestion. But it would have been better if you told us complete detail about your specification.
m
l
!