SSD & HDD partition RAID 1 - Need advice!

thepanache

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello!
I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro and planning to upgrade my internal storage with a SSD (128GB) and swap out the optical drive for a HDD (750GB)
I'd like to run the OS, apps & plug-ins from the SSD and use the HDD for all other files (mainly music) - All for the fast boot & load speeds.
My question is thus, can I partition the HDD (Partition the same size as the SSD 128GB) and set up a RAID 1 configuration to mirror all of the SSD data to the HDD?
If so, will this have any disadvantages of effect the performance of the SSD?
Thanks!

thepanache

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Hi Dingo,

You can do things internally on the Macbook pro, it's just a case of unscrewing the bottom plate and you have access to the hard drive and optical drive (which can be swapped out with an adapter to support another hard drive)
Really what I need to know is, is it possible to set up a partition on the HDD (which will go in the optical bay) to support the RAID 1 from the SSD?
Is it safe/slower/benificial/possible to RAID 1 from an SSD to a HDD?
Thanks,

dingo07

Distinguished
RAID configuration is Drive specific - you can't set up a RAID1 with partition A to Drive B - it must be the entire Drive A to entire Drive B

and I definitely don't suggest from an SSD to a HDD - the only reason to do a RAID1 is for backup of data which would be a lot easier just copying from the SSD boot drive to the HDD in the optical bay whenever necessary

^+1 Raid will take the entire drive, not just a partition.

Also Raid-1 is not a backup. It creates hardware redundancy so if 1 drive fails, you still have access to your data. Backups are for data corruption(which raid-1 won't help), accidental deletions (which raid-1 won't help), and catastrophic disaster - the building burns down(which raid-1 won't help). The only way to recover from any of these is with backups.

game junky

Distinguished
Agreed - RAID 1 isn't the solution in this scenario. Use an external hard drive to backup your files. 1 TB Externals are so cheap that you'll never regret the decision. Additionally, I would recommend saving your important documents and photos to a cloud storage platform. Depending on the size, there are plenty of free and inexpensive options out there to make it worth you while.

I have lived by that formula for awhile and feel safer if I accidentally click delete because I know I have a copy somewhere else. No more "Oh S^&*!" moments...

dingo07

Distinguished

That, in itself my friend, is a backup - if Anything happens to the original drive/data, you have the other drive as the backup - call it what you want

Taking a statement in my post out of context doesn't make you right. backups are for a different issue. Deletions take place on both drives, corruption takes place on both drives, a fire can burn up both drive, and the best way to defend yourself in these instances? A backup - not Raid-1.