Comcast Cable?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Yep, I'm back with yet more questions concerning how to properly use a TV Tuner.
Right now, I've decided on getting either this or this, depending on which is in stock. I'd like to get the AverMedia card, but they're basically the same.

What I'm not sure about this time is whether or not I'll receive anything over my Comcast Cable, which I've heard is basically all encrypted. On the other hand, my old analogue television set that was plugged into it worked just fine with all the channels I'm hoping to watch. I absolutely suck when it comes to cable, and basically all I know is that when I plug a cable into the back of a television, I get a picture. Comcast does have a high-def box on the 'main' television in my house which gives it about 200 channels, but when I plug it directly into my older CRT television that just sits in a corner, I get exactly 64. I don't have a clue what this means, other than the fact that I'd need another overpriced box from Comcast if I want high-Def and 134 more channels. I think. :pt1cable:

I guess my point here is that I don't have any clue what I'd receive through a TV tuner. I don't have a burning need for high-def TV on my pc, although it would be nice considering the fact that I have a 1080p monitor now.

Any help here?

Solution
Ok, so I finished the test and yes, you can record HD channels through your STB. Image quality was better than expected, however there was some ghosting in fast moving scenes. I'm sure it would get annoying after a while. Seems like it was a lot worse back when I first tried recording.

Understand that with this setup, the STB is your TV Tuner. The TV Tuner card you install into your computer will only act as a video capture card. You will still need to use your STB to change channels and set up program recordings. Many STB do not automatically change channels when you set up a recording; which means you need to be present or set it up on the channel you wish to record before hand.

The Ceton InfiniTV 4 card, since it uses a cable card...
the only good option for getting all of the channels with a computer is Ceton InfiniTV 4

though its $300 (but gets all of the channels when using a CableCard type-M), the only other thing would be to contact that company and see if they still plan on selling the dual tuner that they originally talked about (along with the quad, and a hex for OEM's)

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Ah, and that brings me to my next question. Even if I were to go out and buy a CableCard Tuner, is that even legal? I mean, I'm pretty sure Comcast charges a monthly fee or at least a one-time charge for one of their boxes, which I'm also pretty sure they have as mandatory for their service...

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Ah, that's good. The only problem I have with that is paying $300 for a cablecard. If I were to just get one of the $100 TV-Tuner cards from NewEgg, would I still get standard-definition television?
EDIT:
What about if I just went out and got another box installed, and fed the line-out from it into the PC-Tuner card? Would I get the now-decrypted high definition channels?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
So I still wouldn't get my HD channels if I rented a Comcast box to go along with a TV tuner? I mean, wouldn't their box decrypt it to the point that the tuner would be able to pick it up?

>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-[Box]---------------[Tuner][PC]

Wolfshadw

Titan
I have the same set up you're suggesting, but I haven't tested it since Comcast encrypted everything. I'm pretty sure that the STB output you'd have to use to connect to the TV Tuner card is a low resolution output, so quality will be lacking.

I can run a check for you when I get home from work (in about four hours) just to verify you can actually record.

FYI, I'm using this AVerMedia AVerTV PCI-E Combo and Windows XP MCE 2005.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok, so I finished the test and yes, you can record HD channels through your STB. Image quality was better than expected, however there was some ghosting in fast moving scenes. I'm sure it would get annoying after a while. Seems like it was a lot worse back when I first tried recording.

Understand that with this setup, the STB is your TV Tuner. The TV Tuner card you install into your computer will only act as a video capture card. You will still need to use your STB to change channels and set up program recordings. Many STB do not automatically change channels when you set up a recording; which means you need to be present or set it up on the channel you wish to record before hand.

The Ceton InfiniTV 4 card, since it uses a cable card issued by your local Comcast office, will act as both TV Tuner and Video Capture. It will display and record any and all the channels you subscribe to. The only problem (aside from cost) is that it keeps getting delayed. It was supposed to be released at the end of March. Then they pushed release back to the end of May. Now, they state Mid-2010 (which could be as late as end of September).

Hope this helps you out.

-Wolf sends

Edit - I just checked my STB and it does automatically change channels when a recording is scheduled to start.

Solution

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Yes, that really helps me out a lot. :D

I really wish the Ceton InfiniTV card wasn't $400. It's exactly what I need, but I could buy an actual television for that much and completely forget about using my computer.

Recording really won't be a problem for me. I won't be using it much, and when I do, it'll only be one channel/program at a time.

I wonder if they sell Universal remotes that work with those stupid Comcast STBs...