Sign in with
Your question

Which Hard Disc should I get?

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2012 8:53:28 AM

Planning to build a computer soon. Many of the computer shops seem to be offering Hitachi, Seagate and Toshiba 7200rpm drives (Unfortunately they don't list down anything apart from capacity, brand & RPM), as well as WD Red/Blue/Green/Black drives. I know nothing about them so I tried to look for a comparison on these drives, unfortunately I couldn't find any.

Can anyone advice on which to get? Basically I'm looking for a fast HDD that's also good value for money. Thanks! :) 

More about : hard disc

Anonymous
October 1, 2012 10:35:01 AM

most 7200rpm drives have about the same performance. personally i do not trust toshiba. i typically buy all my mechanical hard drives from WD. WD green drives are typically 5400rpm, i would go for a blue. i have a black in my gaming rig that i use for a data drive and i have an ssd for my boot drive
a b G Storage
October 1, 2012 1:35:12 PM

^True! Unless you opt for an SSD mechanical drives are more or less the same. Green drives rev slower to save energy and usually get a tiny bit lower data rates than the blue editions. Pretty much no matter what you get you wont see a difference unless you use a benchmarking tool.
So if you are looking for a big speed difference SSD is the only way to go...
Related resources
October 1, 2012 1:46:31 PM

SSD + HDD is the way to go. WD Caviar Black is the best hard drive you can get. It boasts about 20% faster than any other 7200 rpm drive, and comes with a 5 year warranty. Newegg has a sweet deal on the 128 GB Agility 4 ($64.99). These two drives together would be sweet, expecially if you bought two WD Blacks and put them in a raid config.
October 1, 2012 2:01:56 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
SSD + HDD is the way to go. WD Caviar Black is the best hard drive you can get. It boasts about 20% faster than any other 7200 rpm drive, and comes with a 5 year warranty. Newegg has a sweet deal on the 128 GB Agility 4 ($64.99). These two drives together would be sweet, expecially if you bought two WD Blacks and put them in a raid config.

+1, WD Caviar Black 500GB or 1TB + (optional if you can afford) 128GB or 256GB SSD
October 1, 2012 4:40:18 PM

Sorry forgot to mention, I'm getting the HDD as a secondary storage drive. I've already decided on either a Crucial M4 or Intel 520 as my main SSD drive.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Do you guys think the Black Caviar is worth the price difference? Or would it be better for me to get 2 drives in RAID?
Anonymous
October 2, 2012 9:45:09 AM

DarkOutlaw said:

+1 for ssd + hdd. i would go with a sandisk extreme though, they are the highest performing ssds for the given price and easily woop a samsung 830 and intels 520 in 90% of tasks for a better price. yes i have seen the benches to prove it.

for a data drive you probably wouldnt see much an improvement from a black over a blue. i would get a blue. i personally have a black 2tb, i bought a refurb 1.5tb and it was doa so i got a free upgrade to a brand spanking new 2tb which was pretty awesome. you wont see much difference in raid from what i have read.

i would say get a 120gb sandisk extreme ssd and a 2tb wd blue/black
a c 352 G Storage
October 2, 2012 12:58:16 PM

First a couple of things:
1) Very little diff between top end HDDs. This includes Sata II (3) vs Sata III (6) drives. Sata III is a marketing tool as The ONLY benefit in using a Sata III drive on a Sata III port over a SATA II drive on a SATA II port is in burst mode – Very short lived speed boost.
2) My recommendation has always been The WD Black and the Samsung F3 drive. My preference is the Samsung F3. However that may change as Seagate purchased Samsung Commercial HDD, so reliability may suffer in the long term. Only saving grace is that the Samsung F3 is still made at the same Plant, by the same people.
3) I DO NOT recommend any green, Blue, nor red with Yellow pokadot drives.
WD Blue 41 % neg feed back out of 172 reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
WD Black 21% Neg FB out of 2005 reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
On SSDs.
My recommendation: Crucial M4s, Samsung 830s, and Plextor M3/M5s – which one whichever is cheapest at time of purchase. If M4 and Samsung 830 are same price, m4 for laptops (lower power consumption, 830s for desktops. PS have 3 x M4s, 3 x 830s, 2 Agility IIIs, plus Plus 5 older generation SSDs (various makes).

IGNORE Benchmarks. – All of the top end SSD in real life, not a nickels worth of difference.
Especially Sequential performance using readily compressible Data. SF22xx controllers excel in this category. TOTAL irrelevant as this is the least important matrix, and files on an OS + program drive are closer to Uncompressible data.
@ vanwazltoff. Bench marks for SD extreme do NOT show it’s a clear cut winner in Benchmarks. Ref: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/sandis...

Anonymous
October 2, 2012 1:03:58 PM

go and research sandisk extreme, you will be surprised, plus its a better price than crucial, intel and the same price as samsung
a c 145 G Storage
October 2, 2012 1:14:10 PM

RetiredChief, Off topic, what quiet drive would you recommend(2TB +).

Been running Seagate LP' drives for a while without issues(as a File drive with M4 drives for Widows + Programs). This has worked very well for me with all my files/desktop/ect on the hard drive.

I have a WDC 2TB Black, but its not what one would call quiet. I too have some worry about GREEN drives because of the head extreme parking, but was actually thinking of RED for its 24/7 rating. It is just a media drive so speed is not even important.

For me, so far all drives fail about the same(and its rare).

/thread jack
Anonymous
October 2, 2012 1:15:38 PM

i encourage you to read the last page then compare prices, you might think differently
a c 352 G Storage
October 2, 2012 3:37:07 PM

May be a little off topic, so apologize.
@ nukemaster.
Unfortunately, quiet is at the bottom of my list. @ 70 my hearing is like Class B, and in most of my cases the Case fans drown out any and all of HDD noise (LOLs), But then I steer clear of any that I see that the reviews have a abnormally high “noise factor”.
On reliability, Over the years the only drive failures I’ve had have been USER cause (oops that’s me).
Loved Seagate up to the -11 fiasco. Since then their quality (for Consumer models have taken somewhat of a nose dive). Only really look at consumer models as enterprise models tend to be pricey and as long as I stick to the better models, reliability seems a non issue.
I’ve generally vacillated over preference, Maxtor (Pre Seagate), Seagate, WD. I have some Quantum SCSI 2 gig drives IN USE on a windows 3.11 system. These drives were New back in 1999. Used until 2004, computers placed in storage from 2004 -> 2009. After a “gentle rap of the Knuckles to get them spinning, have been using ever since. These are in Flight hardware computer. However I do not think the Newer HDDs are as reliable as the older versions. Feel this is a function of media density and the increased head alignment requirement.
As to the “2 TB”. The largest drive I use is the 1 TB drives. That is I prefer 2 x 1TB drives over a single 2 TB drive. The 2 TB drives have a higher performance in the outer 20% -> 30 % of the platter, but reliability seams to decrees.
@ vanwazltoff: See nothing on the last page that would change my recommendation.
First off Benchmarks for SSD are only for Bragging rights, As they bear little on REAL LIFE day-to-day performance. You may (repeat may) see a couple of sec diff in boot time ie typically 15 ± 2 Sec for the upper end – NO real Biggy unless you reboot a dozen times each day. As to program load times, the averge perception of a difference is around 100 milliseconds, if SSD A loads a program in 20 millisec vs 50 millisec fro Brand B – The user will NEVER know the difference. Case in point, I have on my I5-750 System a SATA II SSD on SATA II port. If I click on a recent link to an excel spreadsheet, excel will open and the Spradsheet will be there before I could ever drag a mouse to a given cell for editing it. Yes My Newer SATA III m4 and 830 are faster (Hugh diff in benchmarks), But in all honesty the increased performance is of NO value in this case. Would be for a LARGER program say a Photo editing program) pulling in a 10 meg Jpeg file. But here ther would be NO diff between the M4, 830, or your SD Extreme. NOT against SD as they do make the Fastest SDHC card which I use for my Camera and for my Ausu TF700 Tablet. For there SSD, see no reason to recommend it over the M4 or 830/840 SSDs. Prefer the Controllers used in M4 and Samsung SSDs over the SF22xx controller found in the 120 gig models.

As to price current newegg:
.. Samsung 128 gig 830 .. $100
.. Vertex 4 128 Gig .. $100
.. 128 gig M4 .. $110
.. SD Extreme .. $115

Side Note on Reviews.
Take with a grain of salt. Reviews do NOT like to bite the hand that feeds them. Translation – Negative reviews results in manuf stop sending frebees.
Personally I prefer reviews from Anandteck, But still take with a grain of salt. For what it’s woth there general recommendations follows mine. M4/830s/plextor m3/m5
Case in Point – How many of the reviews pointed out the HUGH problem with the initial release of Sandfource SF 22xx based SSD – until AFTER Users started saying – Buyer beware. Took a LONG time to get resolved.
Anonymous
October 3, 2012 7:03:42 AM

i typically dont buy ssds from newegg, there is always a better deal elsewere
!