Installed New Win-7 but only 186GB / 465GB??

tilyardinit

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hi all, I installed a Fresh WIN 7 ULTIMATE X64BIT yesterday (actually done it twice cause I done 32 bit :()

My computer feels quite clunky, and I'\/e just noticed I hae only got 186gb/500gb on my HDD.

I thought when you install Win7 fresh it is suppose to delete the old files? Which I assumed it would do since the option I clicked said it would..

Is it possible my HDD is feeling clunky because it simply installed o\/er it and didn't delete?

tilyardinit

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I'\/e just found some folders

I ha\/e found 4 folders and they contain contents of my pre\/ious windows..

They're called

Windows.old.000
Windows.old.001
Windows.old.002

Contains all my old games..Do I simply delete the folders? Or fresh install again?

Check the folders for any files you may not want to lose, afterwards, delete those folders. A windows install makes backups of the previous installs which is what those are. The next time you install, be sure to delete all partitions and create a new one. This guarantees there is no left over garabage on the drive before you start installing.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Read somewhere that the Disk CleanUp tool in Disk Properties General Tab will also remove all the Windows.old files, if you installed a new version of Windows without deleting the old Windows files that weren't successful, as Hawkeye said.