Hybrid Crossfire HD 5850

naturalrhythm

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hi,

This mobo was recommended to me in a local computer shop and I really liked it:

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

It has an onboard GPU, the ATI Radeon HD 4290.

My question is would I be able to use that onboard card with this GPU in Hybrid Crossfire (keep in mind this is my first build, and I don't really know what I'm talking about):

SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

I'm pretty much sold on this card, and Hybrid Crossfire sounds like a really cool idea. If this is incompatible, is there a way to use the Onboard GPU while just browsing internet etc. and then switch to the HD 5850 for games? Or should I just scrap the idea and get a different Mobo?

Thank you for your time.

Solution
The hybrid crossfire is a feature to use a low end GPU with the integrated to get better performance. The HD5850 is a powerful card that does not need any help from the integrated. Having a board with integrated is not a bad option in case that the dedicated card fails, then the spare is right there.
The hybrid crossfire is a feature to use a low end GPU with the integrated to get better performance. The HD5850 is a powerful card that does not need any help from the integrated. Having a board with integrated is not a bad option in case that the dedicated card fails, then the spare is right there.

Solution