nicthemighty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I received my new custom PC yesterday, delivered without a graphics card or OS. It has been tested with an ati graphics card, and installed/tested windows 7, then wiped.

I installed my graphics card (8600GTS) plugged in my benq DVI monitor, and could not get any output on the screen - no POST or anything. I plugged in an older LG DVI monitor, and that worked fine, so I reset the bios to default settings, and installed windows 7. I then ran all the updates, new graphics drivers etc.

I then plugged in my Benq monitor as a second monitor, tried to detect it, and windows blue screened (nvdlmkm.sys I think). I uninstalled/reinstalled the graphics drivers a few times, and eventually I could plug in and detect the Benq manually using the windows screen resolution settings window. However, windows detected it as a "non-pnp" monitor, but allowed all resolutions (above natvie too). If I then loaded the nvidia control panel, it disabled the Benq, and claimed it couldn't find a second monitor (just my LG as primary).

I turn the pc on with the Benq in the second monitor, I get all the video on the LG, then I can manually detect the Benq (with the "non-pnp" issue) - but this time it restricts to 1280x768 (but the Benq osd says it's at native 1920x1080).

I have tested the Benq on a different machine, and dvi works fine. I have plugged a different monitor into my pc, and it is detected without any issues. Also, I was running the Benq & LG dual screen on my old pc, with the 8600GTS, without any issues.

Strangely, if I plug the Benq using a vga->dvi adaptor, I get a vga signal on the Benq without any problems - post screens, boot screens, and windows. Windows then detects it as a Benq without any problems, and I can dual screen without any issues at all.

So all I can assume is that something to do with Benq -> 8600GTS -> new PC that is stopping the Benq being detected correctly... I assume it's a problem with the card or mobo - as the issue happens before the OS boots.

Does anyone know what might cause this, or experienced it themselves? Google appears to have very little information about it!

If one or both connections are DVI-D, you need a DVI-D cable.
If one or both connections are DVI-A, you need a DVI-A cable.
If one connection is DVI and the other is VGA, and the DVI is analog-compatible, you need a DVI to VGA cable or a DVI/VGA adaptor.
If both connections are DVI-I, you may use any DVI cable, but a DVI-I cable is recommended.
If one connection is analog and the other connection is digital, there is no way to connect them with a single cable. You'll have to use an electronic convertor box, available in either analog VGA to digital DVI or digital DVI to analog VGA.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html