Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Regarding my system/Nvidia geforce 9300ge............

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 14, 2010 4:18:42 AM

Hey, i recetly just purchased a hp pavilion elite m9370a, wanting it for games use
But only to realize how dumb i was to figure out when i brought it home it was ment for dvd rendering etc..
So the hardware etc it has now is:

Nvidia Geforce 9300GE 3D (dont know what 3d means sorry if any1 can tell me?)
Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz
2048MB DDR2
500GB 3G hard drive
blu ray, hd, lightscribe tech etc
and a samsung syncmaster 2243 bwx monitor

I already know my graphics card needs to be replaced for sure, but i would like to know what graphics card i should replace it with.
Also i have heard my processor is great for games??
I would like a detailed reply if possible please about how my system is what hardware is good what isnt and what i should replace for gaming. Tyvm in advance! :D 

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
June 14, 2010 5:22:36 AM

the 3D is a marketing ploy by HP, its like calling a sub-compact car "roomy"

the Q6600 was a great gaming processor in the day. It was easily over clocked to over 3ghz. Unfortunately its starting to get a bit long in the tooth and HP locks out over clocking in their BIOS so you are pretty much stuck at 2.4ghz. In fact you would have been better off with a 3ghz dual core CPU since most games can only utilize two cores.

you also have a 300w PSU which limits video card upgrades unless you replace it.

with your current PSU, look at an ATI 5670 at around $90. It will let you play modern games at medium settings.

for $225, you can grab a 400w Power Supply Unit from antec/corsair and an ATI 5770. You could then look at high settings.

you would need a CPU, PSU, and GPU upgrade to play at very high/ultra settings.
June 14, 2010 5:29:00 AM

ct1615 said:
the 3D is a marketing ploy by HP, its like calling a sub-compact car "roomy"

the Q6600 was a great gaming processor in the day. It was easily over clocked to over 3ghz. Unfortunately its starting to get a bit long in the tooth and HP locks out over clocking in their BIOS so you are pretty much stuck at 2.4ghz. In fact you would have been better off with a 3ghz dual core CPU since most games can only utilize two cores.

you also have a 300w PSU which limits video card upgrades unless you replace it.

with your current PSU, look at an ATI 5670 at around $90. It will let you play modern games at medium settings.

for $225, you can grab a 400w Power Supply Unit from antec/corsair and an ATI 5770. You could then look at high settings.

you would need a CPU, PSU, and GPU upgrade to play at very high/ultra settings.

Hey thanks for the quick answer, quite good one infact. Umm yeah 2 questions, when you mentioned the medium settings did you meen fullscreen or windowed?
also i forgot to add my res is 1680-1080
And if i did get the 5670 how would it run... say crysis in fullscreen/windowed
and alos what about nvidia cards?
thanks in advance
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
June 14, 2010 6:09:06 AM

1. fullscreen
2. it would run crysis on medium settings
3. the best 300w PSU card Nvidia offers is the 9800GT eco version, it tends to have stability issues and offers similar graphic performance. Its not to be confused with the regular 9800GT, a much better card but needs a 400w+ PSU.
m
l
June 14, 2010 8:25:50 AM

Best answer selected by sgtsn1per.
m
l
June 14, 2010 8:35:57 AM

ct1615 said:
1. fullscreen
3. the best 300w PSU card Nvidia offers is the 9800GT eco version, it tends to have stability issues and offers similar graphic performance. Its not to be confused with the regular 9800GT, a much better card but needs a 400w+ PSU.

Thanks alot, Will be DEF getting the 5670. Seems like a great bargin aswell as performance and choice.
Sorta saved me there i was going to get a nvidia 8800
Also i wont be bottlenecking anything will i? because it seems like my cpu and the 5670 aswell with my ram would all be evenly matched?
and iv just read that the 5670 has dx11....... mindblowing for just under $100, thanks a heap mate ;) 
m
l
June 14, 2010 8:39:17 AM

ct1615 said:
1. fullscreen

Ha sorry for the overflow of messages, just dont wanna stuff this one up :)  What is the full name of the card you recomended to me because i have seen diffrent versions with 500mb and 1g memory?
m
l
!