Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corsair 2Gb Gigabyte boards

Last response: in Memory
May 6, 2011 12:47:59 PM

Hello,
I am wondering what the best value performance motherboard would be which accepts Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5 memory sticks....I have a GA-P31-DS3L but it will not accept it...
Thanks in advance
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
May 6, 2011 1:38:04 PM

What is going wrong to make you think it will not accept the RAM?
It is of the correct voltage, pins, DDR2, cas....
m
l
a b } Memory
May 10, 2011 5:31:23 PM

That memory should work just fine on that board. That is an older kit, check the label on the side. If it is a 1.9v kit, you will need to manually set 1.9v in the BIOS for the memory voltage.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
a c 347 } Memory
May 10, 2011 7:12:05 PM

Do you have or are you trying to install more than the Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5?

If using the Corsair only then first try the yellow DIMM slots and if that fails try the orange DIMM slots. Reviewing the manual there are several installation schemes for Dual Channel but those are what I'd try first. In the BIOS DDR2 OverVoltage Control -> Normal should work, and I wouldn't go over +0.1V.

Next if failure, try 1 stick in the closest DIMM slot to the CPU if that works then swap-out for the other stick. IF one works and one fails then you've got a bad stick/set.

Here's the specs, it's 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 @ 1.80v -> http://www.corsair.com/cm2x2048-6400c5.html

MOBO GA-P31-DS3L (rev. 1.x) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2...
4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR2 1066(O.C.)/800/667 MHz memory modules (Note 2)

Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDRII1 and DDRII2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

(Note 1)Based on standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount. For example, 4 GB of memory size will instead be shown as 3.xx GB during system startup.
(Note 2)Some memory configurations will result in memory frequency being reduced from the original frequency.
May 13, 2011 12:17:35 PM

Noworldorder said:
What is going wrong to make you think it will not accept the RAM?
It is of the correct voltage, pins, DDR2, cas....

Hi , It wont boot up.... tries a couple of times and shuts down...replace the RAM with the 2x 1Gb sticks and it boots first time... the List of compatible RAM for the board did not list the 2Gb sticks
m
l
May 13, 2011 1:01:19 PM

jaquith said:
Do you have or are you trying to install more than the Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5?

If using the Corsair only then first try the yellow DIMM slots and if that fails try the orange DIMM slots. Reviewing the manual there are several installation schemes for Dual Channel but those are what I'd try first. In the BIOS DDR2 OverVoltage Control -> Normal should work, and I wouldn't go over +0.1V.

Next if failure, try 1 stick in the closest DIMM slot to the CPU if that works then swap-out for the other stick. IF one works and one fails then you've got a bad stick/set.

Here's the specs, it's 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 @ 1.80v -> http://www.corsair.com/cm2x2048-6400c5.html

MOBO GA-P31-DS3L (rev. 1.x) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2...
4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR2 1066(O.C.)/800/667 MHz memory modules (Note 2)

Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDRII1 and DDRII2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

(Note 1)Based on standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount. For example, 4 GB of memory size will instead be shown as 3.xx GB during system startup.
(Note 2)Some memory configurations will result in memory frequency being reduced from the original frequency.

Yes Tried the Orange ..no change... tried the DIMMs sequentially 1 booted while the other did not will return the Dud stick... thanks for your diagnosis!
m
l
May 13, 2011 1:01:36 PM

Best answer selected by paulo999.
m
l
!