Sign in with
Your question

Auto-Restart after Shutdown/Standby

Last response: in Motherboards
May 6, 2011 1:16:19 PM

Hello,
here is my problem: after shutting down my system, everything goes as it should (HDDs, fans, ect. turn off, no error messages), after about 3 sec., the system suddenly reboots itself. A similar problem occurs when going into standby (S3: Suspend to RAM). But here, the system actually turns on and off repeatedly by itself (HDD go off as expected, 3 sec. later begin to spin again, 3 sec. later goes off again, and so on).

This problem only started recently. I wanted to underclock my CPUs VCore to 1.125V @ 2400MHz (default). However, this causes the system to not boot properly (it just restarted itself after some time). I assumed that the BIOS would detect the malfunction and reset to fail-save defaults, which it seemingly did (VCore was reset to "default" in the BIOS). However, the previous setup seemed to somehow remain active, since the actual core voltage indicated this. I then set the VCore up again manually to a save value (1.225V). Everything went fine again. However, I changed numerous values in the BIOS and even resetted it in the troubleshooting process. Now, it seems, I triggered the described above problem. Therefore, I assume that the answer lies in the BIOS setup.

I tried numerous things to resolve the issue. At first, I though it had to do with Wake Up Events trigged by LAN Cards, or Power Management Events. I disabled them with no effect. Interestingly, at first, I could not even shut down the computer manually, as it would just reboot again after 3 second even if I hit the power button. I resolved this by setting the "Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN" in the BIOS to "Delay 4 Sec." (instead of "instand off"). I have no idea how changing this effected that the system no longer reboots itself after shutting it down (very odd).

I also changed the "ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)". This actually does resolves the standby problem. However, this is not the sort of standby mode I want to reach, since it still consumes ~100W, in contrast to ~4W in S3.

My specs:
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5
BIOS: Award Bios, Version f5b (latest)
PSU: BeQuiet! Straight Power 550W
CPU: Intel Q6600
Graphics: ATI HD 4830
RAM: Mushkin 2x 4096MB Kit XP2-8500 PC28500U CL5 (996599)
RAID Controller: 3ware 9650SE-8LPML
HDDs: 6x Samsung HD103UJ

I would very much appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance,
Matthias G (Germany)
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 6, 2011 1:33:03 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

BIOS: Load Optimized - Save & Exit = Yes, boot into Windows run System Restore to a point 'prior' to the "changes and reboot.

IMO - the BIOS triggered an OS change to the registry, now a corruption(s), which in-turn is a continuation of the problem(s).
May 6, 2011 1:55:17 PM

Thank for your welcoming.

Unfortunately, I don't have any restore point, since I disabled this feature.

jaquith said:
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

BIOS: Load Optimized - Save & Exit = Yes, boot into Windows run System Restore to a point 'prior' to the "changes and reboot.

IMO - the BIOS triggered an OS change to the registry, now a corruption(s), which in-turn is a continuation of the problem(s).

Related resources
a c 716 V Motherboard
May 6, 2011 2:24:17 PM

You could go through the Device Manager, Uninstall many of the Drivers & Scan for H/W Changes. Begin with System Devices and continue until the problem(s) are found. This will both reinstall drivers and rewrite the registry values. Still BIOS: Load Optimized prior to doing this procedure.

Otherwise try the reinstall OS feature.
May 8, 2011 7:20:25 PM

I finally solved the problem. To this day, I did reset the BIOS by either restoring fail-save defaults within the BIOS or by flashing it by means of a software tool named QFlash (used to update it). Now, I resetted it by taking out the battery. That did the trick.
I feel somewhat relieved now, as you could imagine. Many thanks for your help! :) 
Matthias G
!