Need Mobo/Power Supply/Ram for i7 930/Crossfire 5870 build

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 months

BUDGET RANGE: $1000-$2000 (I don't really want this to get much more than $1500, though I'm not sure how much a few of these higher end parts will set me back)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: High End Gaming, latest games at highest settings

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Have decided on an i7 930 CPU. Will be getting one Radeon 5870 now and then another in a couple of years when the single one isn't enough any more. Probably the Asus EAH5870 2DIS V2 5870. Not worrying about keyboard/mouse, monitor or sound card at the moment.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'm an aussie so using www.centrecom.com.au and http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf
Prices are probably a little more expensive than US, though I don't know of any US retailers that ship internationally. I probably wouldn't trust them to get here safely either.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Australia

PARTS PREFERENCES: No real preference, though have heard good things about Corsair and Kingston RAM and Gigabyte and Asus motherboards.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, I would like to overclock the 930 sometime in the future, however I haven't done this before and it looks to be quite complex. I would also probably look at getting a better heatsink/fan for the cpu when I did.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, though not immediate I do intend to crossfire in the future.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 is my current monitor set up. I would like to give eyefinity a go so I may get a couple more in the future, but they would most likely be the same size or smaller. I also have a 32inch samsung tv I would probably hook up to it for playing movies on.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Most of the stuff is already mentioned. I need suggestions for a motherboard and power supply for running crossfire. I would also like the ability to run several hard drives. Though only starting with 1 I am considering getting 2 more 500GB- 1TB hard drives to run in RAID. I will need a power supply that will be able to handle this, I believe to run crossfire 5870's requires 600 Watts and four 6-pin connectors, then plus the hard drives. Something that doesn't run too hot would probably be best as I will be using stock fans.

I understand I'll probably need an x58 motherboard though I don't want to spend too much. I'm also looking for 4-6GB of RAM, again I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to have a system that is limited by slow RAM.

And finally while I'm at it, a suggestion of a cheap case with good airflow would be great. I figure I'll probably head down to the shop and see what they suggest, but might as well ask here too.

This is a big post, thanks to anyone that can help out, I'd like to be able to get some options for some of these parts so I can get it down to a specific price range.

Solution
CPU: i7 930 349$
GPU: HD5870 495$
Mobo: Gigabyte GA X58A 262$
Memory: Corsair DDR3 6GB PC-12800/1600 198$
Case: Antec300 73$
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 750W ATX Power Supply 137$ SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbs 95$
Optical drive: Lite-On Super AllWrite SATA DVD Re-Writer OEM (24x - Black) 34$

Total:1,663$

I'd say this is it although the budget is overrunned with 163$ the prices are a bit high on http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php . The CPU can run all end-games's without an overclock so you can keep the stock cooler for the moment, the case can be upgraded to an antec600 since it's 29$ more.

TomMario

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
CPU: i7 930 349$
GPU: HD5870 495$
Mobo: Gigabyte GA X58A 262$
Memory: Corsair DDR3 6GB PC-12800/1600 198$
Case: Antec300 73$
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 750W ATX Power Supply 137$ SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbs 95$
Optical drive: Lite-On Super AllWrite SATA DVD Re-Writer OEM (24x - Black) 34$

Total:1,663$

I'd say this is it although the budget is overrunned with 163$ the prices are a bit high on http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php . The CPU can run all end-games's without an overclock so you can keep the stock cooler for the moment, the case can be upgraded to an antec600 since it's 29$ more.

Solution

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I'll have to have a think about the 6GB SATA. If I have it I guess I might as well use it, though transfer speeds aren't really a priority for me and I was thinking about running a RAID 3 array for backups, which would require 3 hard drives. I'm not sure if I can mix 6gbs with 3gbs for RAID.

Will a 650watt be enough for the crossfire and multiple hard drives?

And finally, I was looking into some overclocking, does the RAM speed have an effect on overclocking? If so I want to make sure I get the right type.

TomMario

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Will a 650watt be enough for the crossfire and multiple hard drives?

If you plan to crossfire you will need a 750 watt PSU with 63Amps on the 12 volt rail and a good one should keep the multiple HDD's also(Corsair, Antec, SilverStone, Seasonic).