Lost domain...reconnect...lost my profile

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Our network had a crash of the domain controller server. When the server was
rebuilt, I needed to reconnect my WinXP machine to the network. The process
required me to leave the domain (join a workgroup), and then rejoin the
domain.

However, in this process, I have apparently lost my profile on my computer.
When I log in, using the same username/password as I did before everything
of mine is lost, e.g. desktop wallpaper, desktop icons, start menu,
toolbars, I assume my Outlook address book, etc.

I can see under documents and settings a folder which must contain at least
some of my old profile.

Surely, there must be a simple way for me to restore this.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Jim
8 answers Last reply
More about lost domain reconnect lost profile
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Jim Walsh wrote:
    > Our network had a crash of the domain controller server. When the
    > server was rebuilt, I needed to reconnect my WinXP machine to the
    > network. The process required me to leave the domain (join a
    > workgroup), and then rejoin the domain.
    >
    > However, in this process, I have apparently lost my profile on my
    > computer. When I log in, using the same username/password as I did
    > before everything of mine is lost, e.g. desktop wallpaper, desktop
    > icons, start menu, toolbars, I assume my Outlook address book, etc.
    >
    > I can see under documents and settings a folder which must contain at
    > least some of my old profile.
    >
    > Surely, there must be a simple way for me to restore this.

    Take ownership of the old profile folder (that you found - it is the entire
    thing, BTW) and copy your favorites, my documents, etc from it to your new
    profile.

    Otherwise - as far as settings and all that goes, your likely better off not
    trying to reconnect to that profile.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Jim Walsh" <jwalsh-n_o_s_pam@n_o_s_pam-tuspm.temple.edu> wrote in message
    > Our network had a crash of the domain controller server. When the server
    was
    > rebuilt, I needed to reconnect my WinXP machine to the network. The
    process
    > required me to leave the domain (join a workgroup), and then rejoin the
    > domain.
    >
    > However, in this process, I have apparently lost my profile on my
    computer.
    > When I log in, using the same username/password as I did before everything
    > of mine is lost, e.g. desktop wallpaper, desktop icons, start menu,
    > toolbars, I assume my Outlook address book, etc.
    >
    > I can see under documents and settings a folder which must contain at
    least
    > some of my old profile.
    >
    > Surely, there must be a simple way for me to restore this.
    >
    > I appreciate your help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    - Log on under a suitable admin account.
    - Copy the orphaned profile folder to your new profile folder.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Pegasus & Shenan

    Thanks for replying to my posting. You both have proposed the same solution.

    Actually, before posting my message, that is what I did. I logged in using a
    separate administrative account, and then copied the entire contents of the
    old profile folder (in Documents and Settting) over the new profile folder.
    I do note that it would not let me copy NTUSER.* over.

    When I then logged off and logged back into my usual account, the only
    profile-related item that seemed to be fixed was my desktop icons. My Recent
    Documents part of the Windows menu was empty. When I started Outlook, it
    brought up a wizard to help me configure it since it apparently was not
    using my previous settings.

    I must be missing something. Please continue to help.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Jim Walsh" <jwalsh-n_o_s_pam@n_o_s_pam-tuspm.temple.edu> wrote in message
    > > Our network had a crash of the domain controller server. When the server
    > was
    > > rebuilt, I needed to reconnect my WinXP machine to the network. The
    > process
    > > required me to leave the domain (join a workgroup), and then rejoin the
    > > domain.
    > >
    > > However, in this process, I have apparently lost my profile on my
    > computer.
    > > When I log in, using the same username/password as I did before
    everything
    > > of mine is lost, e.g. desktop wallpaper, desktop icons, start menu,
    > > toolbars, I assume my Outlook address book, etc.
    > >
    > > I can see under documents and settings a folder which must contain at
    > least
    > > some of my old profile.
    > >
    > > Surely, there must be a simple way for me to restore this.
    > >
    > > I appreciate your help.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim
    > >

    > - Log on under a suitable admin account.
    > - Copy the orphaned profile folder to your new profile folder.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You should do this:
    1. Reboot
    2. Log on as an administrator
    3. Open a Command Prompt
    4. Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings
    5. Use xcopy.exe to copy the profile folder:
    xcopy /s /h /c OldProfileName NewProfileName

    Remember that GUIs are fine for having a pretty
    user interface. When it comes do dealing with nuts
    and bolts, a Command Line command is often
    far more powerful.

    > Pegasus & Shenan
    >
    > Thanks for replying to my posting. You both have proposed the same
    solution.

    > Actually, before posting my message, that is what I did. I logged in using
    > separate administrative account, and then copied the entire contents of
    the
    > old profile folder (in Documents and Settting) over the new profile
    folder.
    > I do note that it would not let me copy NTUSER.* over.
    >
    > When I then logged off and logged back into my usual account, the only
    > profile-related item that seemed to be fixed was my desktop icons. My
    Recent
    > Documents part of the Windows menu was empty. When I started Outlook, it
    > brought up a wizard to help me configure it since it apparently was not
    > using my previous settings.
    >
    > I must be missing something. Please continue to help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jim Walsh" <jwalsh-n_o_s_pam@n_o_s_pam-tuspm.temple.edu> wrote in
    message
    > > > Our network had a crash of the domain controller server. When the
    server
    > > was
    > > > rebuilt, I needed to reconnect my WinXP machine to the network. The
    > > process
    > > > required me to leave the domain (join a workgroup), and then rejoin
    the
    > > > domain.
    > > >
    > > > However, in this process, I have apparently lost my profile on my
    > > computer.
    > > > When I log in, using the same username/password as I did before
    > everything
    > > > of mine is lost, e.g. desktop wallpaper, desktop icons, start menu,
    > > > toolbars, I assume my Outlook address book, etc.
    > > >
    > > > I can see under documents and settings a folder which must contain at
    > > least
    > > > some of my old profile.
    > > >
    > > > Surely, there must be a simple way for me to restore this.
    > > >
    > > > I appreciate your help.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Jim
    > > >

    > > - Log on under a suitable admin account.
    > > - Copy the orphaned profile folder to your new profile folder.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > You should do this:
    > 1. Reboot
    > 2. Log on as an administrator
    > 3. Open a Command Prompt
    > 4. Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings
    > 5. Use xcopy.exe to copy the profile folder:
    > xcopy /s /h /c OldProfileName NewProfileName
    >
    > Remember that GUIs are fine for having a pretty
    > user interface. When it comes do dealing with nuts
    > and bolts, a Command Line command is often
    > far more powerful.

    Will that (if need be) give the user the full permissions needed to use that
    profile?

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > > You should do this:
    > > 1. Reboot
    > > 2. Log on as an administrator
    > > 3. Open a Command Prompt
    > > 4. Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings
    > > 5. Use xcopy.exe to copy the profile folder:
    > > xcopy /s /h /c OldProfileName NewProfileName
    > >
    > > Remember that GUIs are fine for having a pretty
    > > user interface. When it comes do dealing with nuts
    > > and bolts, a Command Line command is often
    > > far more powerful.
    >
    > Will that (if need be) give the user the full permissions needed to use
    that
    > profile?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    No. If there is a permissions issue then the OP has to set them
    separately as required, using Windows Explorer or cacls.exe.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks again to Pegasus and Shenan for continuing to follow up with my
    posting.

    I've clarified some of this for myself. There are some profile-like things
    that don't seem to be in that Documents and settings folder. So, this kind
    of fudged my view of things.

    For example, the desktop wallpaper is actually stored in the registry. So,
    even though I copied over the contentsof my previous profille folder into my
    new profile folder, the desktop wallpaper did not return to my previous
    wallpaper. Similarly, the account settings used by Outlook are apparently
    stored in the registry. So, when I started Outlook, it had no accounts, and
    no folders. It offered to create new accounts and folders. I needed to Open
    the PST file that I had copied into the new profile folder. And, as far as I
    know, I had to manually enter the e-mail account info. I would appreciate
    any info on how that can be copied over. We all forget our e-mail passwords.

    So, what else is not contained in my profile folder? Start menu: My Recent
    Documents. Where is that? Office Toolbar? Launch bar buttons, etc.

    I continue to appreciate any help you can give here.

    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > > > You should do this:
    > > > 1. Reboot
    > > > 2. Log on as an administrator
    > > > 3. Open a Command Prompt
    > > > 4. Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings
    > > > 5. Use xcopy.exe to copy the profile folder:
    > > > xcopy /s /h /c OldProfileName NewProfileName
    > > >
    > > > Remember that GUIs are fine for having a pretty
    > > > user interface. When it comes do dealing with nuts
    > > > and bolts, a Command Line command is often
    > > > far more powerful.
    > >
    > > Will that (if need be) give the user the full permissions needed to use
    > that
    > > profile?
    > >
    > > --
    > > <- Shenan ->
    > > --
    > > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    > > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    > > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    > > getting into before you jump in with both feet.
    > >

    > No. If there is a permissions issue then the OP has to set them
    > separately as required, using Windows Explorer or cacls.exe.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The registry settings you refer to are contained in the hidden files in
    your profile folder. You can easily confirm it:
    1. Set up the profile for user XXX exactly the way you want it,
    including wall paper, keyboard speed, dial-up settings, Outlook etc.
    2. Reboot the PC, then log on as administrator.
    3. Goto the Control Panel / System / Advanced / User Profiles,
    then copy the profile for XXX to the Default User profile folder.
    4. Delete the profile folder for YYY (if it exists).
    5. Log on as YYY. You will find that you have inherited every
    setting from Step 1 above, including those that you thought
    could not be inherited (e.g. the wallpaper).

    > Thanks again to Pegasus and Shenan for continuing to follow up with my
    > posting.
    >
    > I've clarified some of this for myself. There are some profile-like things
    > that don't seem to be in that Documents and settings folder. So, this kind
    > of fudged my view of things.
    >
    > For example, the desktop wallpaper is actually stored in the registry. So,
    > even though I copied over the contentsof my previous profille folder into
    my
    > new profile folder, the desktop wallpaper did not return to my previous
    > wallpaper. Similarly, the account settings used by Outlook are apparently
    > stored in the registry. So, when I started Outlook, it had no accounts,
    and
    > no folders. It offered to create new accounts and folders. I needed to
    Open
    > the PST file that I had copied into the new profile folder. And, as far as
    > know, I had to manually enter the e-mail account info. I would appreciate
    > any info on how that can be copied over. We all forget our e-mail
    passwords.

    > So, what else is not contained in my profile folder? Start menu: My Recent
    > Documents. Where is that? Office Toolbar? Launch bar buttons, etc.
    >
    > I continue to appreciate any help you can give here.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > > > Will that (if need be) give the user the full permissions needed to
    use
    > > that
    > > > profile?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > <- Shenan ->
    > > > --
    > > > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    > > > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    > > > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    > > > getting into before you jump in with both feet.
    > > >

    > > No. If there is a permissions issue then the OP has to set them
    > > separately as required, using Windows Explorer or cacls.exe.

Configuration Domain Microsoft Windows XP