Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Am I not getting enough power?

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2010 5:29:17 AM

Hello all,
I recently (but accidently) bought a coolmax 600 watt psu to go with the rest of my build. Well, the power supply states on the side of it, that it has a max output of 580 watts, but I put it in anyway and it started fine but my computer is running much slower now than it was with an older psu and graphics card. Plus when I start games like crysis or just cause 2, they take 10 minutes to start and will just sit at a frame and not move :fou:  . I read some where that these are the symptoms of the psu being over drawn.
My specs:
Asus MOBO
AMD Athlon II x3 @ 3.33 GHZ
3 gigs of ddr2
2 hdd's
Geforce gtx 465 (the new one) the old one was a geforce 9800 GT.

I already ordered a corsair 750 watt PSU, but can anyone confirm my problem, please?

More about : power

a c 91 ) Power supply
September 23, 2010 6:13:25 AM

Changing the PSU does not affects the software so obviously the slowness pertains to the hardware.. As for your theory, i guess it perfectly makes sense.. Your hardware is not getting adequate power from the PSU to operate at full throttle.. In addition, you may be having overheating issues.. The Corsair 750W should take care of the PSU problems efficiently.. Report back if problems exist even after that.. We'll see to it then.. My guess is that the PSU change should solve everything..
m
l

Best solution

a c 91 ) Power supply
September 23, 2010 6:14:14 AM

Changing the PSU does not affects the software so obviously the slowness pertains to the hardware.. As for your theory, i guess it perfectly makes sense.. Your hardware is not getting adequate power from the PSU to operate at full throttle.. In addition, you may be having overheating issues.. The Corsair 750W should take care of the PSU problems efficiently.. Report back if problems exist even after that.. We'll see to it then.. My guess is that the PSU change should solve everything..
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
September 23, 2010 1:24:45 PM

Generally a PSU that is overdrawn will simply shut down - and maybe reboot.

A good 550 watt PSU will power your system.

The Coolmax PSU is not a particularly bad PSU - if you derate it and treat it as a 500 watt PSU, then do not put any heavy demands on it.
m
l
September 23, 2010 2:17:53 PM

OK I will se if the new psu fixes it.
I hope I am not getting overheating issues because it worked fine in my old case.
m
l
September 29, 2010 4:55:59 PM

Ok, I got the corsair PSU and everything is working a charm now! I guess it was the cheap PSU. Thanks guys.
m
l
September 29, 2010 4:56:25 PM

Best answer selected by neonmonkey.
m
l
!