Computer keeps shutting off!!!

BigPapi

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
I need help with my computer, I have a Emachines desktop and runs on Windows Vista. The processor is AMD Athlon 64. When I start up the computer it brings up a start up option and it list Safe Mode, Safe Mode Net., Start Windows normal, and has other options. So clicked on all of them and each one starts to load up but then it shuts off. I also need help with the BIOS, I cant get in because in need a password. But I don't know the password.

This is typically a sign of a failing and/or underpowered PSU; more on the 'failing.' To remove the Password you can attempt to Clear CMOS; the best option is to use the 'Jumper' method and alternatively unplug the PC and remove the CMOS battery ~10 minutes then boot into the BIOS and at minimum set the Date & Time.

wizardprang

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
What is the model number? How old is it? I am guessing 2-3 years since it is using Vista.

The worst culprits for sudden shut-off are overheating (check heatsink is correctly seated and CPU fan is working) and bad caps. A good place to start is here:

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

The BIOS password is a different issue. If you cannot find the person who put the original password, you will have to use the jumper method described above.

Prang!

If the computer components are 'cool' and you're still having this issue my bet is on the PSU. Sure overheating can and does cause sudden shutdowns, clean the HSF and check that the fans are spinning. Yep a blown MOBO incl popped/cracked MOSFET or capacitors ditto; most of the time when this occurs the PC simply won't start.

BigPapi

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

I installed a new power supply and it still didnt work.