Samsung SSD Magician error

smarty8

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hi. I have a question for the Samsung SSD 830 series and Magician. Anybody can answer me?

What is the fundamental difference between SSD purchased at retail and SSD preinstalled at laptop. Why Magician works fine with first, whereas second are not recognized as native Samsung ( "No Samsung Brand SSD found in the system. This feature is supported only on Samsung Brand SSD" ) though they both made ​​Samsung Semiconductor and have same Part number MZ7PC128HAFU as evidenced lable on SSD.

I have Samsung NP530U3C-A01 ultrabook. Windows 7 Ultimate x64. SSD SAMSUNG MZ7PC128HAFU-000KN.
When I try upgrade FW through utility Samsung SSD Magician ver.3.1 - error message appears "No Samsung Brand SSD found in the system. This feature is supported only on Samsung Brand SSD", although utility correctly identifies all drive parameters in tab System Information - Drive Summary:

Model Name SAMSUNG MZ7PC128HAFU-000
Manufacturer SAMSUNG
Serial Number S0YGNYABC13635
Firmware Version CXM02K1Q
Size 119GB
Max LBA 250069680
ATA Standart ATA/ATAPI-8
Word Wide Name 5-000538-043584D30
Multiple Sectors 16

But the drive icon marked with red cross in the left pane Samsung SSD Magician ver.3.1. If I try to take the test "Performance Optimization" - similarly error message appears "Not a supported Samsung SSD"

Since the Samsung SSD Magician can't recognize my SSD as manufactured by Samsung, respectively my attempt FW upgrade using "Windows Solution" leads to error message appears - "Not a Samsung SSD".

I had a suspicion - that malfunctions Samsung SSD Magician are result of errors in FW, or its older version.
Here http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC128N/AM # - located firmware for notebook ver.CXM03B1Q MZ-7PC128N,
and here - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC128D/AM # same ver.CXM03B1Q - for desktop SSD MZ-7PC128D - both with the date 19.01.2012. As demonstrated bit-comparison - files are identical in both archives, that confirming FW versions identity.

As far as I could understand - and MZ-7PC128N and MZ-7PC128D and my MZ-7PC128HAFU based on the ARM Cortex 9 namely S4LJ204X01 chip that indicates about compatibility FW. The only thing that confuses for me - I could not find data about memory chips used in these three modifications nowhere.

Taking into account all the above, I tried to update my CMX02K1Q FW to CXM03B1Q via Bootable USB drive, but got an error message "No supported SSD(s) detected for fIrmware update!!!"

What's wrong with these SSDs and Magician?

When the planned release Magicia version wich is able to work correctly with preinstalled SSD's?

Palorim12

Distinguished
The difference between retail ssd and one that comes prebuilt in a laptop is that the one that is prebuilt is called OEM. The company that prebuilds it puts their own Firmware on it and maybe other little things too. The Magician software is made for Retail SSD's only.

smarty8

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

I would agree if it could be Acer ( as example ) mounted Samsung's SSD, in their brand laptop. But the fact is that I have exactly Samsung ultrabook NP530U3C-A01 with mounted SEC's SSD MZ7PC128HAFU, and I do not understand why Samsung produce this ultrabook with their own same SSD mounted, Samsung applies this discriminatory rule.

Palorim12

Distinguished

That's a pretty good question. Have you tried updating magician? There's a 3.2 version and a 4.0 version.

smarty8

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Thank you for participation, David. I would be pleased to hear an explanation of this fact from the people directly involved in sabj supporting.
I updated version 3.2 to 4.0 as soon as version 4.0 was published but whatever Magician does not recognize my SSD as native.

Palorim12

Distinguished

Yea, when it comes to firmware upgrades, we tend to prefer downgrading to Magician to 3.2 and then upgrade back to 4.0 after the update. Also, in what country did you purchase the laptop?

smarty8

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Sabj was purchased in Russian Federation in august 2012. As I wrote above - I made first update attempt at versions 3.1 and 3.2.
If this is interesting - here's http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC128N ( Community Q&A ->page 2 -> question "Samsung SSD Magician malfunction " from Smarty8 ) my question for Sumsung support about this issue that I asked 7 months ago. But except formal reply from body with nickname STAFF there is no more response. And I do not know how to break through this wall of formalism.
I'm not so good at English for phone live chat with U.S. support.
Russian support keeps repeating one thing - ...Samsung continues to work on the problem. During this time, the new version of Android can be written from scratch I guess. :)

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
The manufacturers even Samsung itself use special firmware for their drives to meet special use cases for their notebook.
Hopefully Samsung will release an update also to your OEM drive, but maybe the updates were not so important for notebook use, so you can stay with firm 02.

smarty8

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Let Samsung do what he wants with their laptops, but why company not recognize own product so rude. This puts the user into a dead end, at least, when he sees a well-known company logo on the product, but nevertheless same manufacturer utility does not recognize it native. The company just couldn't make public new firmware, leaving rest of the Magician's functionality intact.
And what does the phrase ".... but maybe the updates were not so important for notebook use, so you can stay with firm 02." As far as I know for a retail SSD have been released already three or four updates that lick bugs, but OEM SSD turns thrown in the lurch. In addition, I have questions about my SSD performance, but I can't to submit CrystalDiskMark's benchmarks or any other utility because the Samsung recognizes only the results Magician.

Palorim12

Distinguished

Magician is only for Retail SSD's, a.k.a. SSD's that you buy in a store separate from the computer. Your best bet is to call Laptop support for your region and see if there is an OEM firmware update and if they can help you through it.

smarty8

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Thx. I have already heard. :(

cyler

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I recently bought same series 2nd hand SSD and was disappointed to see that magician failed to recognized it, if releasing firmware for 3rd party sold SSDs is not practical at least they could have put support of it being recognized as Samsung SSD and its performance evaluation from S.M.A.R.T data.