Can SATA 6.0 replace SATA 1.5 HD?

jiroband

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I am going to recycle my old Dell desktop computer from 2004 to use as an emergency back-up computer. It has a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (ST380013AS) HD that I want to replace, and then reinstall Windows XP. The old HD is SATA 1.5 Gb/s. Can I replace it with a Western Digital WD Blue (WD5000AAKX) SATA 6.0Gb/s? Will the old motherboard and hardware - and Windows XP - recognize this new drive? Will the new HD be recognized, but not operate at its rated potential? Any other suggestions for an inexpensive replacement HD for this system?

Thanks!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Can't comment on your MB and hardware since you didn't mention their model numbers or the Dell Model.

The WD 500GB AAKX is backward compatable with the SATA 1.5 Gb/s controllers. Should be no problem. It will transfer data at the slower rate.

Some of the WD SATA 3 Gb/s drives need to be jumpered pins 5-6 to put them in 1.5 Gb/s mode, but there is no mention of the SATA III drives requiring a compatability jumpered mode.

I've never heard of a sata hdd having backwards compatibility issues. It will not be slower. 1.5Gb/s = 192MB/s, I have that same model aakx and it tops out at ~120 MB/s (using sata 3 [6Gb/s] connection). Other 500gb 7200rpm hdds will be similar speeds.