Sign in with
Your question

Storage issue

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2012 5:21:16 PM

hi, i just formatted a 231 gb hdd , and now i have two hdd. i am trying to download files that exceed the space on empty drive. is there a way to dl across two hdd? i need 250 gb, so im short on new hdd by 19 gb, which i have free on my main hdd

More about : storage issue

a c 104 G Storage
October 1, 2012 5:56:07 PM

Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

If you have multiple smaller files to download, you can store some on one partiion of a HDD, and some on another partition of a second HDD.
If this is one large application file, there isn't any way to span it, without having a dynamic disk configuration.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 1, 2012 6:03:35 PM

yes, you would have to create a RAID 0 Array from the 2 drives, which adds the total space available - 2 x 231GB = 462GB
m
l
Related resources
October 1, 2012 7:50:24 PM

the files are actually multiple files, needing to be unzipped after download, but wouldnt the zipped files take up the space needed to install the actual program? my other drive is 320 gb, with 120 free btw
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:53:32 PM

what is raid drive and how do i do that. my drives are C:/(where system is) and M:/ . the m drive is in 0 and C is in 1. thanks
m
l
a c 93 G Storage
October 1, 2012 8:11:50 PM

a file that is > then 231 GB. what the f!!! where a you getting the file? can't they zip it separately?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 1, 2012 8:18:57 PM

If the files are compressed into a .zip or .rar, they are much larger when uncompressed - could be up to 50% compressed in come cases
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:07:50 AM

yeah it is zipped seperate. the file is 180 gb unzips to 250! is there a way to delete as the files are being unzipped? i have an external 80 gb hdd , and im trying to avoid moving some of my files there temporarily, but maybe that is my only option, huh?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 2, 2012 2:53:14 AM

Does the single 180GB zipped file unzip to a single file, or are there several files in the zip? If there's several files in the zip, then just unzip singularly u til you almost fill the drive, then move the files off the drive to create more space for the rest of the files. I use WinRAR
http://www.win-rar.com/website/download.html
m
l
October 3, 2012 6:46:03 PM

okay thanks. i will try that. I think I hav a solution, but need help. I have 274 gb on hdd c. that is where windows is , desktop programs users. also is only drive big enough to hold unzippped 250 gb programs. the files are seperate btw. i have 234 gb on drive m, where i am downloading 180 gb zipped files. i have 80 gb external drive x, where i just downloades 70 gb of files from c to free up space. i want to extract from m to c(250 gb) and delete 180 zipped dl from m, then store files from c(some of which are on drive x). is there a way to do this "rearranging" of where files are stored?
m
l
October 3, 2012 6:50:42 PM

okay thanks. i will try that. I think I hav a solution, but need help. I have 274 gb on hdd c. that is where windows is , desktop programs users. also is only drive big enough to hold unzippped 250 gb programs. the files are seperate btw. i have 234 gb on drive m, where i am downloading 180 gb zipped files. i have 80 gb external drive x, where i just downloades 70 gb of files from c to free up space. i want to extract from m to c(250 gb) and delete 180 zipped dl from m, then store files from c(some of which are on drive x). is there a way to do this "rearranging" of where files are stored? i have copied USERS folder to ext drive, deleted from c, and now have to go on ext drive to go online, since shortcuts dont work right now, and i dont wanna screw up anything further without a little advice. thanks
m
l
!