Sign in with
Your question

4.0Ghz i7 + 5870 Crossfire + 9800GT Physx = ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2010 8:53:09 AM

We shall see soon, I just ordered THIS 9800GT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

80$ shipped, for Phsyx.

Throwing it in my third PCI-E slot at the bottom of the case.

After reading this article: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3344/ati_radeon_hd_58...
Apparently the beta drivers that Nvidia released plays nice with ATI cards. ( This was found out to be an error by Nvidia )

Now obviously I don't expect great Physx results from a 9800GT but I needed a single slot card, and one with lower power draw. Hopefully my 850W Zalman can power all this hardware.

I have a few games I can benchmark including Metro 2033, Batman, Mirrors Edge, and of course random demos like Darkest Days.

The card should be here in less than two days.

Comments, questions, requests ?

Am I nuts for trying this ? Anybody else interested in the results to be had ?

Worse case scenario, I can't get it to work, then I will of course give the card away here on Tom's.
a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2010 9:29:37 AM

If nVidia drivers don't work then you might have to look around for custom PhysX drivers. Good luck though, you're not nuts... it's more common than you'd think. I've seen a guy who managed to get an HD 5970 and GTX 260 working together well.

$80 for a 9800 GT is a pretty good deal.

Just wondering what motherboard do you have?
June 14, 2010 9:29:54 AM

i'm not 100 percent sure if you're power supply could handle it and if it can, it would be cutting it close.

Otherwise, 4.0Ghz i7 + 5870 Crossfire + 9800GT Physx = awesome gaming experience
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
June 14, 2010 3:58:18 PM

I'm running almost the exact setup now. I have an i7 920 @ 3.3-3.7 (usually at 3.3, as I rarely need more) with 5870's in CF, with an old 9800gt I had in an old machine. It works great on a Antec 850 PSU. However, I don't push my OC as high as you are, on the CPU, but I doubt an extra .3 GHz will make that much of a difference.

It works great on the games I've used it with. I don't use physX very often, but I keep putting it back in, because it makes running on an extended desktop headache free.
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 14, 2010 4:35:48 PM

You'll be A OK. I'm running a GT240 for PhysX and it works great so far in Metro 2033 and Batman AA (only played the demo to test it so far). As far as I know the 9800GT is slightly better than the GT240, and Batman so far stresses it the most to about 50% usage max. Metro 2033 doesn't stress it more than about 15% normally tho it's been as high as 25%. Also, it's in a 4x PCIe slot...

Also your PSU will be fine I have a corsair 750TX and running crossfire 5850s plus the PhysX card :D 

I tried the beta drivers with no luck. They might have already "fixed" the compatibility thing. I'd say just do the GenL thing... you install 197.45 (newest certified) drivers and PhysX (use the Metro install as it's the latest) then run GenL V1.03. Works fine.
a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2010 4:59:40 PM

Well I'm glad to see so many others have it working with ATI.

@ Lmeow: I have a Gigabyte UD5 vanilla.

@ Wolfram: What is this GenL method that you talk about, and what kind of issues did you have w/ the beta drivers ?
!