Can camera write as fast as the card can take?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 23, 2004 5:39:14 PM

People are chasing after faster cards, now up to 20M/s.
I am just wondering if the camera can use all the speed at all. There
is no information I can see in the spec about how fast the camera
writes. e.g. if your camera cannot write faster than 10m/s , then why
but a 20M/s card?

Can anyone tell me where I can find such spec for the camera? I am
thinking about a FZ 20, in particular.

ABC
Do not reply by email.

More about : camera write fast card

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:39:15 PM

ABC wrote:
> People are chasing after faster cards, now up to 20M/s.
> I am just wondering if the camera can use all the speed at all. There
> is no information I can see in the spec about how fast the camera
> writes. e.g. if your camera cannot write faster than 10m/s , then why
> but a 20M/s card?

(a) your USB 2.0 reader may be able to use the increased read speed

(b) your next camera may be able to use the increased write speed

> Can anyone tell me where I can find such spec for the camera? I am
> thinking about a FZ 20, in particular.

When writing movies the FZ20 writes at around 0.5MB/s. Perhaps TIFF or
continuous shooting would be a worse case? I don't think it can use the
faster 9MB/s of cards like the Kingmax Platinum.

My own feeling is to get the fastest cards you can, within a reasonable
price mark up. Perhaps not costing more than 10% than standard?

Cheers,
David
Related resources
December 24, 2004 5:00:43 PM

thanks. Very interesting to see how different cameras write at
different speeds to the same card.

On 23 Dec 2004 09:19:07 -0800, Phil Stripling
<phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrotd:

>See
>http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...
>for some data comparing cameras and CF cards of varying speeds and
>capacities.

ABC
Do not reply by email.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 5:00:44 PM

ABC <ABC@nospam.net> writes:

> On 23 Dec 2004 09:19:07 -0800, Phil Stripling
> <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrotd:

I did not. I never wrotd in my life. It's I lie, I tell you.