Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASRock 870 Extreme3 Blue Ram Slots Question

Last response: in Motherboards
May 6, 2011 4:56:23 PM

Guys/Gals:

I built my computer around Xmas of last year, and it is working great. I initially had two sticks of this RAM in the third and fourth RAM slots (the mobo-manual said that this was the best configuration for this frequency of RAM). I set the timings in BIOS and they work just fine. No freezes, no shutdowns, games run good, etc.

My problem is I decided to get two more sticks of the same RAM because I got a great deal on them, but when I plug all 4 sticks into the mobo a memory checksum error occurs and Windows 7 will not boot. Is this a known problem with the ASRock 870 Extreme3 motherboard? I tried plugging in each stick one at a time, but encountered the same problem at a 6GB config.

So to recap, 2 2GB sticks in the white 3 and 4 slots works fine, but 2 more 2GB sticks in the blue 1 and 2 causes the computer to not boot.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.
a c 235 V Motherboard
May 7, 2011 1:09:32 AM

Have you tried to slightly increase your RAM voltage?

I've seen many boards that when all four slots are filled, they require a little extra voltage on the DRAM to run stable.
m
l

Best solution

a c 107 V Motherboard
May 7, 2011 7:49:22 AM

Here's what I would try:

With only the old memory installed, go into the BIOS and lower the memory clock by one step. If it's at 800/1600 now, set it to 667/1333. Save and exit and let it boot to the logon screen or fully into Windows then shut it down. Put the new memory in and attempt to boot.
Related resources
May 8, 2011 1:25:59 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll give these two options a try.

Tecmo: What is a safe increment to increase the voltage by?
m
l
May 13, 2011 12:46:57 AM

Best answer selected by kjr.
m
l
May 13, 2011 12:49:13 AM

It worked. Now I have 8 GB of ram operating at 733.4 MHz, so Leaps answer of stepping down the frequency did the trick. Tecmo's answer of upping the voltage may allow me to increase the frequency while maintaining stability, but I have not tried it yet.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
May 13, 2011 12:52:37 AM

I would increase the voltage up in the smallest possible increments available, when you are ready to attempt. It is good to know you are up and running with all 8GB's.
m
l
!