Sign in with
Your question

SATA HDD as the main drive on an IDE mobo?

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2012 6:49:51 PM

Basically, my IDE hard drive is really slow and noisy and I want to use my extra SATA hard drive on an old computer. However, the computer only has IDE connections... BUT! I have one of these:

I tried connecting my HDD to this via a SATA cable and powering the HDD via a molex to sata power cable. When I turn on the computer, it just tells me "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

All I want to do is run Windows XP from it.
a c 374 G Storage
October 1, 2012 7:01:21 PM

Your motherboard has to support booting from a 3rd party device/card. The sata card has to also be bootable. If you know both of these to be true, then you just need to chage the boot order in the bios, BUT.....

Now for your big problem. You will need to reinstall XP and use the F6 option to add in the 3rd party drivers necessary to boot from sata drives attached to this card.

Your only other option is to keep booting off your old IDE drive, but install programs and data onto the sata drive. In any case, being that your motherboard doesn't have native sata, it's probably so old that adding any new hardware to it will give you minimal gains. Your best option would probably be to save up for a new computer.
m
l
Related resources
a c 374 G Storage
October 1, 2012 7:08:12 PM

It doesn't matter which one you bought. The information in my last post still applies. Check your motherboard manual to see what your bios boot options are. Download/read the manual for the sata card you want to see if it supports booting.

You would still need to reinstall XP if you want to boot from it.

No offense, but your computer is still old. like I said, save up for a new computer.
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:22:47 PM

Your getting that "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message because of the boot order. I had this issue when I put two ssd's into a raid config. Just change the boot order to point to that PCI card. If you cannot select the PCI card as the boot device then yeah your screwed.
m
l
a c 374 G Storage
October 1, 2012 7:29:33 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Your getting that "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message because of the boot order. I had this issue when I put two ssd's into a raid config. Just change the boot order to point to that PCI card. If you cannot select the PCI card as the boot device then yeah your screwed.

This won't work... as stated, he needs to install the sata drivers during the installation of XP if he wants to boot from it. He can try it if he wants, but he'll continue to get boot errors. Selecting the PCI card to boot from is just part of the process.
m
l
!