Sign in with
Your question

Need help with RAID with different sized hard drives

Last response: in Storage
October 1, 2012 9:30:47 PM

I want to set up a RAID configuration. Never done this before so I'm very unfamiliar with the different types of RAIDS available. I'm rolling on a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 motherboard.

Hard drives:
1tb WD caviar black
2tb Samsung EcoGreen F4

I want to know everything about what I must do to have a large space available for me to use as well as how to properly back up my current configuration on my external 1tb drive.

More about : raid sized hard drives

October 1, 2012 10:07:12 PM

you need to have identical hard drives for a RAID configuration. you cannot do it with two different size drives or two different hard drive contollers.
m
l
Anonymous
October 2, 2012 11:13:57 AM

dont do it without 2 identical drives. i would say do single drive raid if possible
m
l
Related resources
a c 88 G Storage
October 2, 2012 11:37:42 AM

why raid?
m
l
October 2, 2012 11:50:31 AM

All you peeps are clueless!! you can do raid with diff drives its called raid 1 and the raid will use the smallest of the two drives as the main size if that made any sence in other words if you used a 1 t and a 2 t you will still only have a 2 t raid when you are done but the performance will be way better then just the single drive.But you have to make sure you use striping option. If you span the drives you dont get any performance gain..
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
October 2, 2012 12:48:18 PM

RAID using different drives tends to lead to performance problems. As stated, the volume can only be the size of the smallest drive (or a multiple of it depending on raid level). Different speed drives cause sync issues which means more latency.

So to answer the question, yes it can be done, but it's not recommended.
m
l
a c 80 G Storage
October 2, 2012 1:23:59 PM

robustus64 said:
All you peeps are clueless!! you can do raid with diff drives its called raid 1 and the raid will use the smallest of the two drives as the main size if that made any sence in other words if you used a 1 t and a 2 t you will still only have a 2 t raid when you are done but the performance will be way better then just the single drive.But you have to make sure you use striping option. If you span the drives you dont get any performance gain..

Raid 1 is a mirror. and doesn't provide any performance gains, it provides disk redundancy to protect you from a failed disk. You can use raid 0(stripe) to increase performance.
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:44:58 PM

Okay so disregarding these RAID options, would there be a way to somehow 'combine' both drives into one large area that's read by my PC as something like a 3tb drive? Or at least work something similar, rather than using one drive as a main and the other to occasionally put stuff in?
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
October 2, 2012 5:12:30 PM

JBOD (handled by a raid controller), but I'd prefer seperate disks anyhow. JBOD just pools a bunch of disks together to act like one large drive. It's sort of like RAID 0, but with no striping. Also, JBOD offers no redundancy. I'm not sure what happens when a drive in JBOD fails as i've never used this iteration of raid.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 2, 2012 7:10:05 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
JBOD (handled by a raid controller), but I'd prefer seperate disks anyhow. JBOD just pools a bunch of disks together to act like one large drive. It's sort of like RAID 0, but with no striping. Also, JBOD offers no redundancy. I'm not sure what happens when a drive in JBOD fails as i've never used this iteration of raid.

As it stores entire files on the volumes independently, there is little to no risk all data lost as with RAID 0. You can separate the volumes just fine and remove the data accordingly.
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
October 2, 2012 7:17:29 PM

xX_Jesus4208gbram4tbhddbf369fps_Xx said:
Is there a tutorial one could show me?

There are many variations of raid controllers and setup is slightly different on each. Your motherboard manual should tell you how to use the onboard raid controller and which RAID levels it supports. Some do not have JBOD (Just A Bunch Of Disks) as an option.

Also, setup of any raid is easier with storage volumes than a boot volume since a bootable raid usually requires that the raid drivers are installed at the time the OS is installed.
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
October 2, 2012 7:18:21 PM

nbelote said:
As it stores entire files on the volumes independently, there is little to no risk all data lost as with RAID 0. You can separate the volumes just fine and remove the data accordingly.

Good to know. Thank you.
m
l
!