sounds coming from TOSHIBA Satellite A15-S157

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 15, 2004 1:10:25 AM

I have the laptop as above, I've bought it about 1,5 year ago. Recently it's
been making strange sounds, they come from the left upper side of the
mashine, where the processor and the coolers are, I guess (I must admit I'm
total amateur in the field). It's not the usual sound that the hard disc
makes, it's rather sort of brrr like a motorcycle or what...... It starts
always when there's some operation to do (opening a programme etc.), so it
usually comes with the usual sound of the hard disc. It has varius laudness,
it's the laudest when the computer is being turning on and windows's being
installed, than there's always one short (about 3 sec perhaps)and loud brrrr
and then it gradually becomes quiter. The CPU isn't above normal degree and
the computer doesn't seem overheated. Perhaps it's not beside the point that
there's only 1,16 GB of free space out of 37 GB on its hard disc (I'm going
to solve this problem soon).
I'd grateful for any sort of hint.....
I also apologize for my English, I hope my message is comprehensible enough
;) ))
Thanx
Katarzyna
November 15, 2004 1:10:26 AM

Katarzyna <kkrolewna@gazeta.pl> wrote:
: I have the laptop as above, I've bought it about 1,5 year ago. Recently it's
: been making strange sounds, they come from the left upper side of the
: mashine, where the processor and the coolers are, I guess (I must admit I'm
: total amateur in the field). It's not the usual sound that the hard disc
: makes, it's rather sort of brrr like a motorcycle or what...... It starts
: always when there's some operation to do (opening a programme etc.),

It sounds like the CPU fan is making the noise. This fan cools the
CPU chip so it does not get too hot. The CPU will get hotter when it
is running a program than when just idling. Sometimes the CPU fan
(any fan) will wear out and make noise before it does. You may at
some point may need to replace the fan. It could also be loose.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Thanks for your answer, yesterday I observed that when I turned it off (the
processor was off too), than for a little while the sound persisted and it
sounded like a sort of fan was slowing down, that brrr. So it seems to
confirm your hypothesis that it's the cooler.
Thanx ones more,
K.
!