Data drive config

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilronj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
hello all, with the help of the forum ive successfully built my 1st pc .... thanks all.. now a setup question if i may. i installed an ssd for the OS as well as a mech 1TB drive for everything else.. to configure system so that anything i add i.e software photos and music go to the data drive is this done in the BIOS? or through software? sorry this is probably very basic question.. but im still learning i feel much more comfortable seeking advice here as opposed to google... thanks again
basic info:
crucial m4 64gb ssd
seagate 1tb hdd
asus m4a89gtdpro/usb3 MoBo
AMI bios version 2301
thanks in advance

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
"anything i add i.e software photos and music go to the data drive is this done in the BIOS? or through software?"

Not quite understanding the question... but I can explain how a data transfer works if you want.. right down to the nuts and bolts..

Is this what you wanted..?

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
This will be done through your operating system.

if its windows 7 just right click on your documents in the start menu click properties, click include a folder (one on your Data drive) make it the default then remove the other folders listed there.

you can do this with you my pictures, videos & music folders also.

lilronj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

i guess what im asking is.... if i install or save anything i want it to go to the drive that the operating system is NOT loaded on... i found this tutorial maybe that will help explain what im trying to do
http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-drive-secondary.html

lilronj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I am obviously doing terrible job of explaining. the operating system and anti-virus and basics are on the 62gb SSD. drive "c"
i dont want to add anything else to that drive the storage drive is a different drive it is a 1 TB HDD drive "d" and my goal is anything in future that is loaded goes on that drive and im trying to make that happen by default. so no more data goes on the "c" drive.
does that make sense?

Not yet : ) Are u installing the programs on the 1TB HDD?

lilronj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

i made the changes you indicated and its hepled quite alot yet the space on the ssd is shrinking rapidly so i must have done something incorrectly, ive also noticed that some programs when installed do not allow me to change the destination so im at a loss. i guess what im trying to achieve isnt a possibility. or i need to have someone else configure. thanks for advice tho

Status
Not open for further replies.