ECS IC780M-A

barracuda1574

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hello,
My motherboard has a AM2+ x4 9750 / 2.40GHZ CPU, powers up for about 2 secs then the fans shut off? Anyone else having this problem?

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Tests:
PSU-remove PSU from case. Plug a fan into a molex connector. Use a paperclip to jump from the middle green wire to any black wire. Plug into wall, activate. If the PSU starts;

Reinstall, and disconnect everything from the MB except; the CPU and it's fan, one stick of RAM in slot closest to CPU. Use a metal object to briefly jump the two pins that had the power button wire connected. If CPU fan runs, power down and start reconnecting everything one at a time until failure repeats.

BlueAZ

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

Hi, I'm having the same problem, except mine doesn't start at all. When PSU is plugged in & on, I get a green LED on the front. But when I push the ON button, nothing happens. No fans, no beeps, nothing. What to check? PSU or mo-bo or Ram?
Thanks, Blue

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Check PSU first; disconnect it and remove it from the case, jump a paper clip from the green wire in the center to any black wire on the main (24-pin) connector. attach a fan to any molex connector.
Plug in the PSU and turn on. If both fans spin then it's probably the mobo.

BlueAZ

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
:hello: Noworldorder, you're a prince! I had seen stuff about this test online, but you explained it well enough for me to perform it with confidence. Went great... found that the PSU is working fine. Now I know it's the ECS IC780M-A Mo-Bo that's the problem. Unless you have any other advice, I will ask for a new one. Thanks!!

BlueAZ

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
:wahoo: Make that "Ooops!" I was wrong again! Finally got up the nerve to perform the other test you described, & found the MoBo was working fine too! Turned out I had connected up the F-Panel incorrectly, due to lack of instructions w/ case & MoBo. Found valuable piece of info: Positive (+) side of connector has a tiny ARROW!! And it DOES matter how they are plugged in! So the MoBo was not faulty after all.
Now I have a new problem, for which I'll start a new subject...
Thanks for all the help & guidance!!
BlueAZ