Contemplating buying another Radeon HD 4890

flaringo

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
So I'm contemplating buying another Radeon HD 4890 to run it in crossfire with my other one.

I'm just curious; is it worth it? Will I have problems running some games at all, that don't support crossfire? Will I see a big performance increase in newer titles?

It'd kinda put me off buying it if it turns out I'll have to remove one card to play some of my older favorites, or have the performance drop in some games that don't support crossfire.

flaringo

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Well, games based on the Source engine, the Unreal 2 engine, Unreal 3 engine, older games like Half-Life and Deus Ex, even older games like Red Alert etc. There's alot. Potentially a lot of indie games or games that aren't as popular as the major titles as well.

My specs are:

Intel i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
6GB OCZ DDR3 ram
XFX Radeon HD 4890

Running on Windows 7 64bit

that should cover the important parts

I assume your screen resolution is around 1920 x 1080, is there a game you play that actually bogs down your 4890? If so a second 4890 will be more than enough.

You can also sell your current 4890 and get a 5 series, this way you dont have to deal with all the heat comming from 2 cards.

If you are not going to play new titles and you can care less about your GPU upgrade path I would recommend the second 4890. If not a 5850 or greater.