UT2004: Best weapon to attack powernodes?

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a power
core or node with varying individual weapons? Just curious if anyone has
performed any actual tests on this (attack a fully healed node with each
weapon exclusively and see which weapon destroys it first). I'm talking
about weapons you hold in your hand not vehicles.

Schism

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

> Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a power
> core or node with varying individual weapons?

The redeemer is stronger than the assault rifle =P

I haven't done any timed tests but the alt fire of the flak gun destroys the
node faster than the regular fire (only by one shot though)

"eiurgoleiop" <woetpp@sodfgo.org> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a power
> core or node with varying individual weapons? Just curious if anyone has
> performed any actual tests on this (attack a fully healed node with each
> weapon exclusively and see which weapon destroys it first). I'm talking
> about weapons you hold in your hand not vehicles.

Couple of helpful links. There are several other sites with the same
info out there.

http://www.gskills.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333&sid=c0f85cc42e6d5bddcebcdf277f0ebd08

http://www.gskills.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"eiurgoleiop" <woetpp@sodfgo.org> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a power
> core or node with varying individual weapons? Just curious if anyone has
> performed any actual tests on this (attack a fully healed node with each
> weapon exclusively and see which weapon destroys it first). I'm talking
> about weapons you hold in your hand not vehicles.

Hmmm...I think the redeemer destroys the node but not the core. The Ion
Cannon is the most effective at destory cores...I think they take out over
25% of the core's energy per shot :O

If excluding super weapons, then my favourite node-killing weapon is the
shock combo. Execute the combo between the node base and head (that circular
thing) for most efficient use of your attacks. Next weapon down the line is,
if I don't have the shock rifle, is the flak cannon; then it would be the
rocket launcher and so on.

To your question. Theoretically there should not be noticable difference as
each weapons' damage is fixed. This assumes that 100% of the damage goes
into the node or core. In reality, I think the core would be the most
effective at *absorbing* the damages ;) It's large and therefore most
weapons' damage radius (if they do have any) intercepts itself. Whereas the
node is smaller and easier for the radii to escape the vulnerable bits.

By the way, talking about efficiency of the weapons, the least efficient are
the super weapons believe it or not... :)

"LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> "eiurgoleiop" <woetpp@sodfgo.org> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a
power
> > core or node with varying individual weapons? Just curious if anyone
has
> > performed any actual tests on this (attack a fully healed node with each
> > weapon exclusively and see which weapon destroys it first). I'm talking
> > about weapons you hold in your hand not vehicles.
> >
> Couple of helpful links. There are several other sites with the same
> info out there.

http://www.gskills.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333&sid=c0f85cc42e6d5bddcebcdf277f0ebd08

> http://www.gskills.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345

Thanks for the great info.

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:08:51 -0600, "Schism"
<BLAHHHHHH@blahhhhHHHHH.com> wrote:

>> Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a power
>> core or node with varying individual weapons?
>
>The redeemer is stronger than the assault rifle =P
>
>I haven't done any timed tests but the alt fire of the flak gun destroys the
>node faster than the regular fire (only by one shot though)

But the primary has a slightly faster rate of fire and can take the
node out quicker. You can simply walk up to a node, point the flak at
the circle above (to avoid splash damage) and then hold down primary
fire. Quite effective.

The shock combo does more damage, but has two drawbacks. One, it's
not as fast as the flak primary, and two, it's harder to control.
Under pressure, it's a little harder to get the ball in the exact
center of the node area to extract the most damage. With the flak
primary, it's very easy. Point at circle, hold down fire button, wait
for node to die.

The *best* method is to use the link gun alt fire with multiple
players, but for some reason people only tend to use that for building
a node and not destroying it. And unless you're desperate to kill the
node (where it's the last node and the enemy is about to kill your
core) then you're probably better off saving your link gun ammo for
building, rather than destroying.

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

U¿ytkownik "eiurgoleiop" <woetpp@sodfgo.org> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a power
> core or node with varying individual weapons? Just curious if anyone has
> performed any actual tests on this (attack a fully healed node with each
> weapon exclusively and see which weapon destroys it first). I'm talking
> about weapons you hold in your hand not vehicles.

I'd say it's the granade launcher....

Vimes

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

> > Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a
power
> > core or node with varying individual weapons? Just curious if anyone
has
> > performed any actual tests on this (attack a fully healed node with each
> > weapon exclusively and see which weapon destroys it first). I'm talking
> > about weapons you hold in your hand not vehicles.

Personally i prefer pulse primary - really chews a normal node up at a fast
rate - you can usually recharge on the local locker ot finish it off. Flak
secondary n rockets next tho

ViMeS

www.purplezone.org

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:55:53 +0100, "Vimes"
<amletford@blueyonder.removethis.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when attacking a
>power
>> > core or node with varying individual weapons? Just curious if anyone
>has
>> > performed any actual tests on this (attack a fully healed node with each
>> > weapon exclusively and see which weapon destroys it first). I'm talking
>> > about weapons you hold in your hand not vehicles.
>
>Personally i prefer pulse primary - really chews a normal node up at a fast
>rate - you can usually recharge on the local locker ot finish it off. Flak
>secondary n rockets next tho
>
>ViMeS
>
>www.purplezone.org

The problem with using pulse primary is that you're using the very
thing you need to build it once it dies. I always try to save my
pulse ammo for building nodes and healing vehicles.

"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message

> >power
> >has
> >
> >Personally i prefer pulse primary - really chews a normal node up at a
fast
> >rate - you can usually recharge on the local locker ot finish it off.
Flak
> >secondary n rockets next tho
> >
> >ViMeS
> >
> >www.purplezone.org
> >

> The problem with using pulse primary is that you're using the very
> thing you need to build it once it dies. I always try to save my
> pulse ammo for building nodes and healing vehicles.

True, but usually there is a weapon rack (with extra ammo ready) near the
node so although not my kind of weapon for destroying nodes, I won't
hesitate to use it.

In Primeval you often see people exploiting the Link Gun primary by using it
from very far distances. I do it too.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:18:07 +0100, "Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> wrote:

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message

>> >power
>> >has
>each
>talking
>> >
>> >Personally i prefer pulse primary - really chews a normal node up at a
>fast
>> >rate - you can usually recharge on the local locker ot finish it off.
>Flak
>> >secondary n rockets next tho
>> >
>> >ViMeS
>> >
>> >www.purplezone.org
>> >

>> The problem with using pulse primary is that you're using the very
>> thing you need to build it once it dies. I always try to save my
>> pulse ammo for building nodes and healing vehicles.
>>

>True, but usually there is a weapon rack (with extra ammo ready) near the
>node so although not my kind of weapon for destroying nodes, I won't
>hesitate to use it.
>
>In Primeval you often see people exploiting the Link Gun primary by using it
>from very far distances. I do it too.

Yes, now that you mention it that *is* a good weapon for damaging a
node from long range. I often take on the role of protecting a vital
node, and one of the tactics that's difficult to stop is someone using
primary Link against you from a distance. You can cover the node from
airborne attacks with an avril, and you can fight people charging in
on foot, but someone taking shots from far off is difficult to deal
with unless you have a lightening gun or shock handy. Otherwise it
forces you to leave your 'post' and track the person down on foot,
leaving the node exposed for others to attack.

I think I'll start using the primary Link for long-range node attacks
as well.

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:18:07 +0100, "Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> wrote:
>

> >"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message

> >each
> >talking

> >fast
> >Flak

> >> The problem with using pulse primary is that you're using the very
> >> thing you need to build it once it dies. I always try to save my
> >> pulse ammo for building nodes and healing vehicles.
> >>

> >True, but usually there is a weapon rack (with extra ammo ready) near the
> >node so although not my kind of weapon for destroying nodes, I won't
> >hesitate to use it.
> >
> >In Primeval you often see people exploiting the Link Gun primary by using
it
> >from very far distances. I do it too.
>

>Otherwise it
> forces you to leave your 'post' and track the person down on foot,
> leaving the node exposed for others to attack.

Hehe, yes, you can't just let the node die gradually like that so one would
naturally head off towards the Link Gun attacker...I do it a lot. Worst is
when you see more than one, which means your node will certainly die.

> I think I'll start using the primary Link for long-range node attacks
> as well.

Due to time constraints and efficiency, I would still use the Link Gun
solely for building usually. As a *pro* he should destroy and build using
as less time as possible...every tenth of a second counts! ;)

Vimes

"Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> wrote in message

> Due to time constraints and efficiency, I would still use the Link Gun
> solely for building usually. As a *pro* he should destroy and build using
> as less time as possible...every tenth of a second counts! ;)

idd - fastest to kill it - recharge n start building it with no change of
weapon . Only problem with pulse primary is the aim - requires quite a
static position. In dodgy situations i tend to leap about like a madman
lobbing secondary flak or rockets so i can constantly change position and
view - those pancake lovers are a pain in the arse :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

> >In Primeval you often see people exploiting the Link Gun primary by using
it
> >from very far distances. I do it too.
>
> Yes, now that you mention it that *is* a good weapon for damaging a
> node from long range. I often take on the role of protecting a vital
> node, and one of the tactics that's difficult to stop is someone using
> primary Link against you from a distance. You can cover the node from
> airborne attacks with an avril, and you can fight people charging in
> on foot, but someone taking shots from far off is difficult to deal
> with unless you have a lightening gun or shock handy. Otherwise it
> forces you to leave your 'post' and track the person down on foot,
> leaving the node exposed for others to attack.
>
> I think I'll start using the primary Link for long-range node attacks
> as well.

I dunno about which map You are talking but if you're out of a shock rifle
and a lightenig gun there is still a turret:)

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Use the Flak gun a lot in ALT mode. Jump around it, keep hitting it the base
of the node, does a nice job.

Panzer

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:03:41 GMT, Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> sayeth:

>Use the Flak gun a lot in ALT mode. Jump around it, keep hitting it the base
>of the node, does a nice job.

I would totally agree with this. Combined with a fairly decent amount
of damage and a fast refire rate, the Flag gun in ALT mode is what I
use almost exclusively to damage power nodes.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:08:51 -0600, "Schism"
> <BLAHHHHHH@blahhhhHHHHH.com> wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference when
>>> attacking a power core or node with varying individual weapons?
>>
>>The redeemer is stronger than the assault rifle =P
>>
>>I haven't done any timed tests but the alt fire of the flak gun
>>destroys the node faster than the regular fire (only by one shot
>>though)
>
> But the primary has a slightly faster rate of fire and can take
> the node out quicker.

I agree. Primary fire flak is the fastest way to kill a node with a
"normal" weapon, I think.

> You can simply walk up to a node, point the
> flak at the circle above (to avoid splash damage) and then hold
> down primary fire. Quite effective.

I usually aim at the lower circle and get no splash damage. It's
important to make sure every piece of flak is absorbed by the node.

> The shock combo does more damage, but has two drawbacks. One,
> it's not as fast as the flak primary, and two, it's harder to
> control.

Three, the combo uses tons of ammo, and you will run out.

-Dan Damouth

"Vimes" <amletford@blueyonder.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Due to time constraints and efficiency, I would still use the Link Gun
> > solely for building usually. As a *pro* he should destroy and build
using
> > as less time as possible...every tenth of a second counts! ;)
> >

> idd - fastest to kill it - recharge n start building it with no change of
> weapon .

Sure if you have so much ammo ;)

> Only problem with pulse primary is the aim - requires quite a
> static position. In dodgy situations i tend to leap about like a madman
> lobbing secondary flak or rockets so i can constantly change position and
> view - those pancake lovers are a pain in the arse :)

(Depending on the situation) Generally, when someone start attacking me
whilst I'm injuring the node, I would divert my attacks to my attacker. It's
very stupid to continue attacking the node if it has still, say over 80%
left! *You will mostly certainly die before the node*.

If otherwise, say 10% left I would bet on it and continue dodging and
attacking the node. But if there is no strategic gain, then no point: attack
the attacker.

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Yes, it takes about 5-6 hits and node is gone. Many times it is protected by
enemy player and rush into the node, they get hit or killed also. Or me get
killed! (-:

Panzer

On 28 Jun 2004 13:06:37 -0400, furrier@iglou.com (Chris Bradley)
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:03:41 GMT, Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> sayeth:
>
>>Use the Flak gun a lot in ALT mode. Jump around it, keep hitting it the base
>>of the node, does a nice job.
>
>I would totally agree with this. Combined with a fairly decent amount
>of damage and a fast refire rate, the Flag gun in ALT mode is what I
>use almost exclusively to damage power nodes.

Have you ever tested this? I'm thinking the faster rate of fire using
primary would compensate for the slightly more damage of the alt fire.
Plus, it's very difficult to use the alt flak without taking damage
yourself.

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament2003,alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

<<Plus, it's very difficult to use the alt flak without taking damage
yourself>>

That's BS, you just have to keep enough distance, so you don't blow yourself
up. I never do.
Also, ALT Flak is very effective against the tank, from behind or above, 3-4
shots and the tank is history.
If the tank tries to shoot me, I just dance around him, assuming there is no
gunner on top, than I'm history.

JS

> On 28 Jun 2004 13:06:37 -0400, furrier@iglou.com (Chris Bradley)
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:03:41 GMT, Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> sayeth:
> >
> >>Use the Flak gun a lot in ALT mode. Jump around it, keep hitting it the
base
> >>of the node, does a nice job.
> >
> >I would totally agree with this. Combined with a fairly decent amount
> >of damage and a fast refire rate, the Flag gun in ALT mode is what I
> >use almost exclusively to damage power nodes.
>
> Have you ever tested this? I'm thinking the faster rate of fire using
> primary would compensate for the slightly more damage of the alt fire.
> Plus, it's very difficult to use the alt flak without taking damage
> yourself.

lurker

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001

Szaki wrote:

> <<Plus, it's very difficult to use the alt flak without taking damage
> yourself>>
>
> That's BS, you just have to keep enough distance, so you don't blow yourself
> up. I never do.
> Also, ALT Flak is very effective against the tank, from behind or above, 3-4
> shots and the tank is history.
> If the tank tries to shoot me, I just dance around him, assuming there is no
> gunner on top, than I'm history.
>
> JS

Are you sure it takes only 3 or 4 shots? I've done as much as 6 to 8 (or more)
on some tanks with alt-flak to kill them up close.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:12:44 GMT, "Szaki" <szaki10@comcast.net> wrote:

><<Plus, it's very difficult to use the alt flak without taking damage
>yourself>>
>
>That's BS, you just have to keep enough distance, so you don't blow yourself
>up. I never do.

Uh... no, it's not BS. Take the center node on Torlan for instance.
I often load up at the weapon locker *while* I'm taking out the node.
Try doing that while alt-flakking and tell me you don't take splash
damage. I don't always have the luxury of being a distance from the
node I'm trying to take out.

>Also, ALT Flak is very effective against the tank, from behind or above, 3-4
>shots and the tank is history.
>If the tank tries to shoot me, I just dance around him, assuming there is no
>gunner on top, than I'm history.

Who said anything about tanks? This thread is about the best weapon
to take out a node.

>"Folk" <Folk@folk.com> wrote in message
>> On 28 Jun 2004 13:06:37 -0400, furrier@iglou.com (Chris Bradley)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:03:41 GMT, Szaki <szaki10@comcast.net> sayeth:

>base
>> >
>> >I would totally agree with this. Combined with a fairly decent amount
>> >of damage and a fast refire rate, the Flag gun in ALT mode is what I
>> >use almost exclusively to damage power nodes.
>>
>> Have you ever tested this? I'm thinking the faster rate of fire using
>> primary would compensate for the slightly more damage of the alt fire.
>> Plus, it's very difficult to use the alt flak without taking damage
>> yourself.

TRENDING THREADS