Changing Internet Options remotely

April 13, 2005 8:11:04 PM

Is there a way to change a user's Internet Options remotely on a domain? I
have a user at another site whose Internet Options are blocked by a GPO, so I
can't just walk her through it on the phone. I know each account profile on
the computer has its own Internet Options settings, so I would have to change
the settings for her particular account profile.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:09:41 PM

Why not to unblock her temporarily?
Edit her registry directly @ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:27:03 PM

Thank you for the response, but I'm affraid those options wouldn't work for
me. Unblocking her temporarily would mean going into Active Directory and
changing either her user account or the OU GPO, having her log off and log on
for the settings to take affect, and talking her through what needs to be
done. Also, connecting to the remote computer in the registry editor doesn't
allow the HKCU branch to be available for editing, so that won't work for me.

Most settings and logs on a client can be taken care of remotely without
interacting with the user(through MMC, registry editor, event viewer, etc.).
I figured there might be a similar method or tool that I'm not aware of, or
even a way to do it through vbscript.

"Jetro" wrote:

> Why not to unblock her temporarily?
> Edit her registry directly @ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

April 15, 2005 3:19:05 AM

Sorry about HKCU. Send her the custom-made .reg file.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 12:44:40 PM

She doesn't need to logoff to update policy, just

gpupdate /force

ISP's use ins files to configure the internet. Here's an old one.

[Animation]
DoAnimation=1

[Branding]
CompanyName=Serenity Macros
Wizard_Version=3.0.0.560
Custom_Key=BR32618
Window_Title=Internet Explorer
WizardVersion=3.0.0.560
Global=1
Serverless=0

[Entry]
Entry_Name=SIA NET

[Favorites]

[Internet_Mail]
Install_Mail_16=1
SMTP_Server=mail.sia.com
POP_Server=mail.sia.com
Domain=sia.com

[Internet_News]
NNTP_Server=news.sia.net.au
Logon_Required=0

[LDAP]
FriendlyName=
Server=
HomePage=
SearchBase=
CheckNames=0
AuthType=0

; ****************************************
; * Custom Phone Number Information Here *
; ****************************************
[Phone]
Phone_Number=94399866
Area_Code=02
Country_Code=61
Country_ID=61
Dial_As_Is=No

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable=1
HTTP_Proxy_Server=proxy.sia.net.au:8080
FTP_Proxy_Server=
Gopher_Proxy_Server=
Secure_Proxy_Server=
Socks_Proxy_Server=
Use_Same_Proxy=1
Proxy_Override=<local>

[Scripting]

[Script_File]

[Server]
Type=PPP
SW_Compress=Yes
PW_Encrypt=No
Network_Logon=no
SW_Encrypt=no
Negotiate_NetBEUI=no
Negotiate_IPX/SPX=no
Negotiate_TCP/IP=Yes

[TCP/IP]
Specify_IP_Address=no
Specify_Server_Address=Yes
IP_Header_Compress=Yes
Gateway_On_Remote=Yes
DNS_Address=203.166.94.47
DNS_Alt_Address=203.42.177.129

http://www.yahooligans.com
Quick_Link_1=http://home.microsoft.com/best/best.asp
Quick_Link_1_Name=Best of the Web
Quick_Link_2=http://home.microsoft.com/links/links.asp
Quick_Link_2_Name=Today's Links
Quick_Link_3=http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&plcid=0...
Quick_Link_3_Name=Web Gallery
Quick_Link_4=http://www.microsoft.com/ie
Quick_Link_4_Name=Product News
Quick_Link_5=http://www.microsoft.com
Quick_Link_5_Name=Microsoft
NoWelcome=1
;Help_Page=http://support.one.net.au

; *************************************************
; * Custom Username and Password Information Here *
; *************************************************
[User]
Requires_Logon=Yes
Name=<your name>
Password=<your password>

[ConnectionSettings]
ApplyInsToConnection=Sia Net
..

"David Tilman" <DavidTilman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFD818D1-505D-44D8-96F3-9A1A166E3D51@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for the response, but I'm affraid those options wouldn't work for
> me. Unblocking her temporarily would mean going into Active Directory and
> changing either her user account or the OU GPO, having her log off and log on
> for the settings to take affect, and talking her through what needs to be
> done. Also, connecting to the remote computer in the registry editor doesn't
> allow the HKCU branch to be available for editing, so that won't work for me.
>
> Most settings and logs on a client can be taken care of remotely without
> interacting with the user(through MMC, registry editor, event viewer, etc.).
> I figured there might be a similar method or tool that I'm not aware of, or
> even a way to do it through vbscript.
>
> "Jetro" wrote:
>
>> Why not to unblock her temporarily?
>> Edit her registry directly @ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.
>>" target="_blank">
Home_Page=file://c:\my documents\serenitymacros\index.html
'Search_Page=http://www.yahooligans.com

!