Changing Internet Options remotely

Is there a way to change a user's Internet Options remotely on a domain? I
have a user at another site whose Internet Options are blocked by a GPO, so I
can't just walk her through it on the phone. I know each account profile on
the computer has its own Internet Options settings, so I would have to change
the settings for her particular account profile.
4 answers Last reply
More about changing internet options remotely

    Why not to unblock her temporarily?
    Edit her registry directly @ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

    Thank you for the response, but I'm affraid those options wouldn't work for
    me. Unblocking her temporarily would mean going into Active Directory and
    changing either her user account or the OU GPO, having her log off and log on
    for the settings to take affect, and talking her through what needs to be
    done. Also, connecting to the remote computer in the registry editor doesn't
    allow the HKCU branch to be available for editing, so that won't work for me.

    Most settings and logs on a client can be taken care of remotely without
    interacting with the user(through MMC, registry editor, event viewer, etc.).
    I figured there might be a similar method or tool that I'm not aware of, or
    even a way to do it through vbscript.

    "Jetro" wrote:

    > Why not to unblock her temporarily?
    > Edit her registry directly @ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

    Sorry about HKCU. Send her the custom-made .reg file.

    She doesn't need to logoff to update policy, just

    gpupdate /force

    ISP's use ins files to configure the internet. Here's an old one.

    [Animation]
    DoAnimation=1

    [Branding]
    CompanyName=Serenity Macros
    Wizard_Version=3.0.0.560
    Custom_Key=BR32618
    Window_Title=Internet Explorer
    WizardVersion=3.0.0.560
    Global=1
    Serverless=0

    [Entry]
    Entry_Name=SIA NET

    [Favorites]

    [Internet_Mail]
    Install_Mail_16=1
    SMTP_Server=mail.sia.com
    POP_Server=mail.sia.com
    Domain=sia.com

    [Internet_News]
    NNTP_Server=news.sia.net.au
    Logon_Required=0

    [LDAP]
    FriendlyName=
    Server=
    HomePage=
    SearchBase=
    CheckNames=0
    AuthType=0

    ; ****************************************
    ; * Custom Phone Number Information Here *
    ; ****************************************
    [Phone]
    Phone_Number=94399866
    Area_Code=02
    Country_Code=61
    Country_ID=61
    Dial_As_Is=No

    [Proxy]
    Proxy_Enable=1
    HTTP_Proxy_Server=proxy.sia.net.au:8080
    FTP_Proxy_Server=
    Gopher_Proxy_Server=
    Secure_Proxy_Server=
    Socks_Proxy_Server=
    Use_Same_Proxy=1
    Proxy_Override=<local>

    [Scripting]

    [Script_File]

    [Server]
    Type=PPP
    SW_Compress=Yes
    PW_Encrypt=No
    Network_Logon=no
    SW_Encrypt=no
    Negotiate_NetBEUI=no
    Negotiate_IPX/SPX=no
    Negotiate_TCP/IP=Yes

    [TCP/IP]
    Specify_IP_Address=no
    Specify_Server_Address=Yes
    IP_Header_Compress=Yes
    Gateway_On_Remote=Yes
    DNS_Address=203.166.94.47
    DNS_Alt_Address=203.42.177.129

    Home_Page=file://c:\my documents\serenitymacros\index.html
    'Search_Page=http://www.yahooligans.com
    Quick_Link_1=http://home.microsoft.com/best/best.asp
    Quick_Link_1_Name=Best of the Web
    Quick_Link_2=http://home.microsoft.com/links/links.asp
    Quick_Link_2_Name=Today's Links
    Quick_Link_3=http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&plcid=0x0409&pver=3.0&ar=gallery
    Quick_Link_3_Name=Web Gallery
    Quick_Link_4=http://www.microsoft.com/ie
    Quick_Link_4_Name=Product News
    Quick_Link_5=http://www.microsoft.com
    Quick_Link_5_Name=Microsoft
    NoWelcome=1
    ;Help_Page=http://support.one.net.au

    ; *************************************************
    ; * Custom Username and Password Information Here *
    ; *************************************************
    [User]
    Requires_Logon=Yes
    Name=<your name>
    Password=<your password>

    [ConnectionSettings]
    ApplyInsToConnection=Sia Net
    ..

    "David Tilman" <DavidTilman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFD818D1-505D-44D8-96F3-9A1A166E3D51@microsoft.com...
    > Thank you for the response, but I'm affraid those options wouldn't work for
    > me. Unblocking her temporarily would mean going into Active Directory and
    > changing either her user account or the OU GPO, having her log off and log on
    > for the settings to take affect, and talking her through what needs to be
    > done. Also, connecting to the remote computer in the registry editor doesn't
    > allow the HKCU branch to be available for editing, so that won't work for me.
    >
    > Most settings and logs on a client can be taken care of remotely without
    > interacting with the user(through MMC, registry editor, event viewer, etc.).
    > I figured there might be a similar method or tool that I'm not aware of, or
    > even a way to do it through vbscript.
    >
    > "Jetro" wrote:
    >
    >> Why not to unblock her temporarily?
    >> Edit her registry directly @ HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

Configuration Microsoft Internet Windows XP