Possible SSD issue

jcbullen

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I'm not sure if this is the right category, but here it is.

So...

I opened my tower and was listening to a strange fan noise (which was easily fixed). When I had it open, I decided to remove all of the extra brackets for hard drives in the tower. Without thinking about it, I pulled one out which had my SSD on it (since the SSD was small and hidden, it looked empty when I wasn't paying attention). This caused the SATA cable to become partially dislodged. The computer stayed on and at this point I shut it down. I plugged the sata cable all the way in and restarted the computer. It opened with a black sceen that I can't remember the exact message but it was something like "bios startup fail" and I couldn't do anything.

I hit my clear cmos button on my motherboard to reset all of the bios settings. At this point, startup went all the way to the Windows logo animation and it immediately froze and restarted into recovery mode. It tried to do a system repair and failed it multiple times. I was in a screen where I could try repairs, restoring, memory check and open DOS. I tried doing system restores from multiple points and they all failed. I tried some stuff through DOS that other people recommended and nothing worked. I ended up reinstalling Windows since I have everything important on a separate drive. Once I did the reinstall, everything was fine again and I was able to log into Windows.

After I installed all my old programs and updated all of my drivers, I went into the BIOS to change some settings to the way I used to have them. Since I have an SSD, I changed the storage to AHCI. I also did a small amount of overclocking (that was completely fine before the system fiasco). I turned off a stupid Legacy setting that has always given me trouble. The last thing I changed was my memory speed since for some reason it defaults to slower than it really is. When I exited BIOS, it went to the Windows logo and froze/restarted into the system repair mode, exactly like it did before.

I hit clear cmos again and it was able to boot again. I tried changing 1 setting at a time in my BIOS instead of all at once, and they all resulted in the system repair mode. Does anybody know what I can do to stop it from doing that?

I am not sure what is going on for the 1st one froze and restart.

Do you install the OS with IDE mode then set the mode into AHCI later? Right.

If yes, you try to do is 1) after boot ( you can boot into the bios), change the storage mode back to IDE. If you can all the way to on the PC. Then go to the link and go to "Let me fix it myself" to try it, if still don't work try let MSFT "Fix it for me".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976