Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Photoshop Build

Last response: in Systems
July 22, 2010 9:20:54 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within week or two....

BUDGET RANGE: 600-800 without monitor

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photoshop/digital malipulation

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: mouse/keyboard/speakers....

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe no not at this point -- unless it'll help

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe possibly later

Doing my first build in over 10 years ..ALOT HAS CHANGED ...LOL

I'm building this computer because my ASUS G51 laptop died only after one year...

My main use will be Photoshop CS4/CS5 Suites.... some light video rendering (but more in future)
so mostly digital manipulation/ photo cataloging/ Photo business.....

NO Gaming !!

Here is what I am looking at... at this point...

COOLER MASTER
HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ---- maybe the 922 .... do i really need a full tower??
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...

Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996826 -- adding more later ...

but would consider higher class videocard !!! possible placing 2 in computer at a later date

then adding a HD and DVD/r also... but those i think are pretty much all the same...

So what ya all think.....

I have NOTHING .. so I'll be buying everything...including a monitor..so the cheaper i can make this now is fine as long as i can upgrade relative easy later one (ie more memory, HD, added video card maybe a better Cd/Dvd burner....

More about : photoshop build

July 22, 2010 9:34:21 PM

A 922 is fine, it's the size of most full towers actually. Hard to fit that into your budget though.

Swap CPu to a x6 1055t, that'll give you much better workstation performance.

If anything you use utilizes CUDA, then you'll need an Nvidia card. Don't need a high end GPU if you aren't gaming.

HD
F3 500gb $500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU
9800 gtx+ $135 w/ $30 MIR

Ram
G SKill Eco $105

OPtical + PSU
Sony and OCZ 550w $73 w/ $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Mobo/CPU
Ga 890 UD3 and X6 1055t $310

Case/OS
Antec 300 Illusion and win 7 64bit oem $145

Total: $787 after shipping and Rebates
Related resources

Best solution

July 25, 2010 11:43:04 PM

Case: Antec 300 ILLUSION (Illusion model comes w/ all necessary case fans).
Mobo: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H
Proc: 955 Black
Cooler: ZAHLMAN 120mm single vertical stack - heatpipe design w/one fan & paste.
RAM: G.Skill Eco Series 2x2GB DDR3 1600c7 Dual Ch Kit.
GPU: GET THIS EXACT SUB-MODEL ... USE ONE OF THESE EXACT LINKS ! ! !
***** Must be PNY 9800GT-EE (must have "-EE" in model# *AND* "PB" in part# !!)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/654090-REG/PNY_Te...

HDD1: 500GB Spinpoint F3 (Boot/Apps)
HDD2: 1TB Spinpoint F3 (Content ingest / streaming / render / archive )
DVDR: SATA DVDR SAMSUNG/ASUS/SONY/LG (Sort by "most ratings")
(mobo comes w two SATA cables ... You need one more 18" slim right angle latchng)
PSU: Corsair 650Watt Blue (yes ... 550Watts would be enough) ... CORSAIR !!

Approximate Total Cost ~~ Less than $860, before discounts/rebates/combos

***** Above estimate DOES NOT incl OS or Shipping ***

= Al =

July 25, 2010 11:46:41 PM

With OS and shipping you are still under $1,000

DO "spring for" the after-market cooler ... You WILL want to OC ... DEFINATELY !

= Al =
July 26, 2010 2:27:53 AM

GREAT.......

my question ... concerning Video cards...

what does the EE and PB stand for..??
July 26, 2010 9:56:53 AM

The "Double "E" stands for "Energy Efficient"

The "PB" stands for "Peanut-Butter"

... or ... whatever you want it to ... I call it "The Peanut-Butter Revision" (cute?).

There is another sub-sub model of this same PNY card that has "EB", instead of "PB" .... The difference is that the EB Revision DOES NOT support OpenGL 3.x and that would not be a good thing, for a graphics build ... I have NO clue as to why they would make one revision that does not ... but those are the facts.

That is why I spazz out and take great pains to point out the diff ... because, other than those two letters, in the mfg part#, there is no easy way to tell .

Perhaps PNY KNEW that Alvin Smith had nuttin' better to do than to warn noobs about the difference.

= Alvin =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2F4EFYM_MA
July 29, 2010 2:38:08 AM

ok whats the difference between Workstation cards and desktop cards (new egg)??? cant i choose between both catagories.. the workstation catagory allows me to actually search for OpenGl 3.0/3.2 cards
July 29, 2010 10:18:43 PM

ws cards suck for gaming but are actually made and certified for pro sw suites.

A ws card is far preferable, if you have the $$$ and don't need to game on your PC.

There are really only two pro ws cards that I would recommend (regardless of OpenGL version support} ...

... The Quadro FX 580 and the Quadro FX 1800.

... Forget about ATi ... they are certified for a few products but they cannot be expected to be compatible with the full range of related pro graphics/edit suites, plug-ins, utilities, and other partner products and peripherals.

X-58 and a Quadro FX 580 (or two) is a good entry level system.

... As long as you have the cash and don't need to game ... then Quadro is the way (the only way) to go, for pro graphics/edit builds.

= Al =
July 29, 2010 10:23:40 PM

One thing, if its strictly for Photoshop, get a better CPU+RAM while skip out on a cheap graphics card.
AFAIK, only the MPE in Premier Pro CS5 uses CUDA, and most ATI cards can do OpenGL accelerations just fine.
July 29, 2010 10:37:13 PM

Ageed, except for the ATi part.

Sure ... the ATi "should" work ... but will it? ... prolly ... but it is not widely certified, across the broader range of industry partner products. ... I don't see lot's of complaints (any, really) about ATi NOT working (with anything), in particular ... but what I DO see is that few of the mainstream pro products and even fewer of the specialized products list or certify ANY ATi product ...

... Furthermore ... I have yet to find a single (reputable) turnkey AVID/CS5/ACAD builder that uses ATi products, in their builds ... so ...

... If you were to give me a robust FireGL card ... I would give it a whirl but, I refuse to risk my monies on "iffy" prospects, without a clear certification, across the board ... I suppose the same could be said for ANY non-quadro solution ... But I shy away from quadro because they are pricey, noisey (fairly) and they have not been updated with the latest graphics language version support ... they are overdue.

When the Quadro-FERMIs come out (something like a Quadro/FERMI 460), then I will perk up and buy one ...

... For now? ... I am running 3 monitors off of two Zotac 240s (silent/fanless) which support OpenGL 3.2 ... Not bad, for $95 each ... I will ditch the primary and replace it with a robust Quadro, once the next gen has been out for 6 months and all the reviews are out and the quirks are smoothed out.

= Al =
July 29, 2010 10:58:53 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Ageed, except for the ATi part.

Sure ... the ATi "should" work ... but will it? ... prolly ... but it is not widely certified, across the broader range of industry partner products. ... I don't see lot's of complaints (any, really) about ATi NOT working (with anything), in particular ... but what I DO see is that few of the mainstream pro products and even fewer of the specialized products list or certify ANY ATi product ...

... Furthermore ... I have yet to find a single (reputable) turnkey AVID/CS5/ACAD builder that uses ATi products, in their builds ... so ...

... If you were to give me a robust FireGL card ... I would give it a whirl but, I refuse to risk my monies on "iffy" prospects, without a clear certification, across the board ... I suppose the same could be said for ANY non-quadro solution ... But I shy away from quadro because they are pricey, noisey (fairly) and they have not been updated with the latest graphics language version support ... they are overdue.

When the Quadro-FERMIs come out (something like a Quadro/FERMI 460), then I will perk up and buy one ...

... For now? ... I am running 3 monitors off of two Zotac 240s (silent/fanless) which support OpenGL 3.2 ... Not bad, for $95 each ... I will ditch the primary and replace it with a robust Quadro, once the next gen has been out for 6 months and all the reviews are out and the quirks are smoothed out.

= Al =

Im not saying about other programs, as i do not have any knowledge, but to my experience, Photoshop CS4 does support ATIs for OpenGL, and it does work.

Quadro Fermis are announced though, the 6000 and it performs pretty well.
July 29, 2010 11:23:34 PM

GTK ...

I have researched this a lot and these are just my own conclusions ...

... I intend to limp on these, two cheap cards, until the dust settles and prices drop ... And ... mainstream hw is slowly catching up to high rez multimedia requirements so ... time is on your side ... IF you can wait to spend the big bucks.

Even these 240s can run up to two hi-rez monitors and they DO have CUDA and OpenGL3.2 and will even SLI ... Furthermore, nVidia drivers recognize ALL nVidia GPUs and will combine them for native windows multi-monitor support and combined CUDA compute power, so ... as I said ... I can use a single quadro, in combo with one or both of these Zotac 240s and do gobs of monitors and they will all kick-in for CUDA ops (toghether) ... Ati just does not do anything like that ... Even if EyeFinity wworked as advertised (still way buggy), it simply cannot run monitors off of more than one card (the primary GPU) and it is limited to only two monitors, unless you buy an active display port adapter (another $100) and, if you do that, you can max out your monitors to 3 (total).

... Now ... ATi has announced (limited release) that 6 monitor monster but it costs two arms and 3 legs and is a kludgey, buggy power hog ... only really good for gaming ... at a ridiculous price.

nVidia has been providing very affordable and sensible multi-mon solutions for over three generations, now. And their roots are in business and pro solutions ... not fragging mutants with pulse cannons.

= Al =

July 31, 2010 11:55:36 PM

Best answer selected by billygoat17.
!