Sign in with
Your question

Ssd possible in Intel SR1560 server

Last response: in Storage
October 2, 2012 9:36:18 AM

Hello everybody,

I am a mechanical engineering student, with not a lot of hardware and software experiance.
Yesterday ordered a used dual quad system, for running CFD simulations.

I am interested to know if i can put 1 or 2 ssd hard drives? and can i put them in a raid 1 or 0 config?

Do i need to know something about the sata controller or raid controller? to see if its supports ssd?

Maybe its really a silly question, because i dont see a lot of people asking it, but since the motherboard and processors are from 2007 i thought it could be a relevant issue.
(Although old i think its still quite powerfull (Intel SR1560 with 2 x 3GHz QuadCore Xeon cpus and 16 GB RAM ) for the price that i payed.)

according to the specs it has intel embeded Raid. if i check there fore something with ssd i dont find anything. Does that mean no support?

Thank you for any helpfull information in advance.

RS82

a c 129 G Storage
October 2, 2012 9:44:41 AM

you dont put ssd in raid right now do to losing trim funtion on the ssd. with the older chipset an ssd may run without issue if it a good ssd like intel or the 830. it wont run on 6g mode but it will be faster then standard hard drive.
October 4, 2012 8:55:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. but "may run" could be quite an expensive experiment. I would like to know what i have to check to be sure that it works? I understand that a physical test is the best, but i would like to know what specifications there are to check? if it doesnt work is it then only a matter, of a software update trought the bios of some sata or raid driver? or do i have to buy other hardware?

In the case the harddisk is compatible with older chipsets, what is the component that is restricting the speed? and how could i upgrade it? or do i have to get a whole new mainboard etc. ?

Thanks for any help.
Related resources
October 4, 2012 1:57:33 PM

The problem was that i was confused since its a SR1560SF in the specs but this is a server system and no tech doc was available. But i guess you are right and they put a S5400SF Board in there, with the specs you linked. so 3g is supported.
Thanks for the help!
October 15, 2012 4:05:25 PM

Hi smorizio, thanks for the reply.
I got the hardware and decided to buy the ssd, a little one the 830 64GB.
I opened the server and there is not a lot space, i found 1 only 1 pci slot.
but ok, i think another sata card is a bit to complicated and maybe also expensive for me. There are still some other problems, such that the system doesnt have a DVD and doesnt boot from usb, so im having some problems installing the programs. but ok i will try to find a way.
but thinking ahead, i am still not very sure what is the best way to set up my system. a raid 0 for the 2 satas and using the SSD as a swap partition?
There for i opened a new tread, if you have some time and ideas about it please write your oppinion. Tonight i will try to use the SSD and see if its recognized, will write a reply tomorow.

Thanks and ciao,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/291348-14-best-appl...
(link to new tread)
November 26, 2012 4:20:04 PM

It worked
!