Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Asus
  • Dolby
  • Games
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 23, 2010 9:54:12 PM

I'm looking to for a cheap way to utilize my Pioneer SX-218's 5.1 surround sound in games through SPDIF. I was looking at ASUS Xonar DS http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I understand this sound card only does DTS. Fortunately, my Receiver does DTS and Dolby. From what I hear DTS is slightly better sound than Dolby anyways. My question is, will this be compatible outputting true 5.1 surround sound with all of my games? I'm not sure really how the whole encoding/decoding and compressed/decompressed audio process works and if most games only support Dolby Digital.

More about : spdif gaming asus xonar

September 24, 2010 5:30:22 AM

1) The only games that support Dolby Digital are on the consoles.
2) DTS has a higher bitrate than DD5.1
3) Real-time Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect encoding is lossy and is comparable to a 192kbps mp3.
Score
September 24, 2010 6:02:17 AM

So what do you recommend? Games simply do not work in 5.1 through SPDIF on my on-board realtec. As far as I know from what I've read, it has something to do with Realtec not being able to encode DD and DTS.
Score
September 24, 2010 8:44:21 AM

no i dont think it can encode DD or DTS. so your only option is to get a sound that can.

oh and astrallite battlefield bad company 2 supports dolby digital. oh and the game is available on PC.
Score
September 24, 2010 9:20:10 AM

if your asus xonar DS has a digital output, then you can.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 24, 2010 12:01:41 PM

Assuming the reciver can decode a DTS signal, you can get 5.1 with the DS and your reciever. It should be stressed that while the DS doesn't have a realtime Dolby encoder, it can still pass through audio already encoded as Dolby Digital.

DTS is generally seen as superior to DD due to its higher bitrate, but both are still lossy formats; think .mp3 quality.

For a quick review:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2010/04/08/... [also includes the DX and Creative Titanium]
Score
September 24, 2010 5:20:13 PM

So let's say I wanted to play Battlefield Bad Company 2, which supports Dolby Digital... does the Xonar DS encode that sound into DTS and send it to my receiver that decodes DTS for surround sound?
Score

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
September 24, 2010 5:35:34 PM

What it *should* do is simply pass through the existing Dolby signal as is. [You *might* have to disable the DTS encoding first in this case]. Alternativly, you can use the *standard* 5.1 audio track [non-Dolby] and convert that directly to DTS instead of using the Dolby audio track.

The only two PC games I know of with a 5.1 Dolby track are Bioshock and BC:BF2, but both also have a standard 5.1 track. Guess they included the track in that case for people who don't have realtime encoding support over SPDIF...

The DS at that price is a good deal, but if you have ANY plans of eventually using the analog ports, the D1/DX/HT Omega Striker are better cards. If you plan to stick to digital output, then the DS should suffice.
September 24, 2010 5:46:06 PM

Best answer selected by bubbleman441.
Score
September 24, 2010 5:46:54 PM

Great thanks. I'll probably go with the DS
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 24, 2010 7:18:39 PM

Let me know how you like it. Any problems, just drop a PM.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 24, 2010 9:11:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!