Any tools/cables I need for a new build?

olphus

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Are there any tools I need for a new build - both obvious and not so obvious tools?
I already have a screwdriver with interchangeable heads and has a magnetic tip too.
Do I need any extra cables?
All parts are new and will arrive tomorrow...also, I don't have any spares of anything from any previous builds.
I just don't want to get stuck and have to wait more days to complete a new build just because of a cable :D

bCubed

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Generally, unless your parts are OEM, you should have all the wires and screws you need. It would be nice to use an anti-static wrist band. What I did was get this tool kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261003&cm_re=computer_tool_kit-_-99-261-003-_-Product

and I had everything I needed for my first ever build I did in April. It would also be nice to have good lighting and especially a flashlight that you need to get into dark corners sometimes.

And number one thing, it's always good to have a second set of helping hands, I used my mom (don't laugh, I'm still in college and nothing is better than a free room in NYC) whenever I needed something held up or a flashlight pointed.

tecmo34

Administrator
No... your motherboard and case should come with all the required cables for your build. You have the required standard tools already :)

The only reason you would need extra cables, is if 1) your have more SATA devices to install than SATA cables that come with your motherboard or 2) you are wanting to improve cable managment and get ATX Power extensions (8-pin & or 24-pin).