ithink2much

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Is it just me or is this card been out of stock for about a month? Can't seem to find it anywhere! I've been waiting on this card so I can finish my build. Is it worth the wait or can I get another flavor of the 5850 that's comparable?

Thanks!

5850s are a hot item. You can certainly pair it up with another brand/model of the 5850, but the Vapor-X is pre overclocked. IMO if you get a different one, use GPUZ to save the Vapor-X edition BIOS, then flash the new card to the Vapor-X BIOS so that they run the same. Not really "recommended" but that's what I'd do. Only thing you'll lose out on is similar looks and cooling performance/quietness.

Haha well alternatively you could try using a regular OC app like MSI Afterburner... probably would work. They don't even have to be the same clocks anyway, if you use the VaporX as the prime card and whatever other (slower) card ass the auxiliary in a crossfire set up you'll still benefit from the VaporX OC. But yeah, let's say you OC with Afterburner and it runs totally stable, you should consider flashing it. It's really not that bad (I've reflashed a dozen times no issues, and that's with ATI Win Flash too!)