Sign in with
Your question

Intel RAID and other drive on SATA?

Last response: in Systems
July 23, 2010 2:17:46 AM

I setup my new system a Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI with Raid 1 using the onboard RAID on the SATA. Does this mean that the other SATA ports can not be used for other drives for storage?

I've tried to get the drive I'd like setup on the SATA but I cannot see it or find options to.

More about : intel raid drive sata

a b B Homebuilt system
July 23, 2010 2:50:56 AM

As far as I know you can't enable a RAID and have additional non-raid drives on the same controller. UNLESS it allows for spare drives. It doesn't say it does though. Even still the spare wouldn't be usable.

g725s said:
I setup my new system a Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI with Raid 1 using the onboard RAID on the SATA. Does this mean that the other SATA ports can not be used for other drives for storage?

I've tried to get the drive I'd like setup on the SATA but I cannot see it or find options to.

m
l
July 23, 2010 3:22:11 AM

I believe your right. Any idea on the best way to have RAID and be able to add additional drives internally?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 24, 2010 1:05:30 PM

Buy a sata controller card. Make sure it's a pci-express card. PCI cards are really slow.
m
l
July 24, 2010 10:52:08 PM

Thanks for the insight. Been away from building PCs for quite a few years and am catching up on things. Was thinking about just getting an enclosure for the drive, but will check also into the SATA controller card.

And just to be sure there won't be any conflict with the onboard SATA and the Intel RAID setup there?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 25, 2010 7:54:36 PM

What will happen is if you do buy a SATA RAID controller card is you'll get a second BIOS menu that you can get into to configure the raid for the drives on that controller card.

Definitly do some research because there are some cheap RAID controller cards that no one should buy and some expensive ones that make people scratch their heads and wonder how they're in business.

It shouldn't touch your intel raid at all.

g725s said:
Thanks for the insight. Been away from building PCs for quite a few years and am catching up on things. Was thinking about just getting an enclosure for the drive, but will check also into the SATA controller card.

And just to be sure there won't be any conflict with the onboard SATA and the Intel RAID setup there?

m
l
August 1, 2010 2:33:03 AM

Thanks for that info :) 
m
l
!