Solved

Best GPU ($200) for non-gamer?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: June 2010

BUDGET RANGE: USD $200 before rebates (about 1500 Swedish Krona)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Vmware Workstation 7.1, Office applications, web, casual gaming

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: No GPU at the moment. Power supply will be Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

Case: Antec P183
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
CPU: Intel Core i7 860 2.8 Ghz
Memory: 2 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz
Disk: 3 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
DVD: Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7240S

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Sweden

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.komplett.se or www.dustinhome.se (swedish)

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, but nothing advanced

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am building a new computer which will primarily be used for work related stuff at home. I will spend around $1500 on this. I do not play any games today (more than some arcade games from the 1980's through MAME :) ) and do not really need any high end gaming card.

However I still want a good graphic card that will somewhat "match" the quality of the rest of the components. I am prepared to spend around $200 on the GPU.

The main things I want is: good quality, low noice, fit into the selected case without problems, not too much increased heat in the case and the possibility to play some newer games if I change my mind later on.

I know very little of GPU:s, but this is a card that has been suggested to me.

XFX RADEON HD5770 XT 1GB GDDR5

The prices might be a bit higher here in Sweden and if you WANT you could link to the swedish webstores I will buy the rest of the components from ( www.komplett.se or www.dustinhome.se). However if you due to languange incoveniences prefer some other webstore please use that.

I am grateful for any advice on this.
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best gamer
  1. Yeah the 5770 is a great card that will be good for gaming too, if you branch out in that direction. The 5670 is a little cheaper and smaller and still has the GDDR5 memory and DirectX11. It may be better to get the 5670 because it doesn't need extra power connectors. Since you have only a 600Watt power supply this will make your computer more stable.
  2. A HD5770 does well for gaming at your resolution and since you are a casual gamer it is going to last you a long time.
  3. Best answer
    I agree, your best bet is the 5770 for its value and performance. The Directx11 support makes it near future proof, and it should be able to play most games at moderate detail levels at your resolution. I wouldn't worry about the extra power connector since the 5770 never becomes too power hungry. Given your specs, it should round out your build nicely.
  4. multiscreenz said:
    Yeah the 5770 is a great card that will be good for gaming too, if you branch out in that direction. The 5670 is a little cheaper and smaller and still has the GDDR5 memory and DirectX11. It may be better to get the 5670 because it doesn't need extra power connectors. Since you have only a 600Watt power supply this will make your computer more stable.

    Recommended PSU for HD5770 is 450watt! Will you explain why the OP would have a more stable system with a HD5670 on his 600watt PSU?
  5. Thank you for your replies so far!

    So a HD5770 seems to be a good choice. Do I understand it correctly that the name HDxxxx is just the actual processor and the graphic board itself could be built from several manufacturers?

    If so, does it matter which one I should buy? The one mentioned above, XFX RADEON HD5770, would that be better or worse than any comparable cards?
  6. XFX is one of the reputable manufacturers along with Sapphire, Asus, MSI and HIS to name few.
  7. rolli59 said:
    XFX is one of the reputable manufacturers along with Sapphire, Asus, MSI and HIS to name few.


    Then a card from one of these companies would be good I presume.

    I am looking for a specific product to buy and since I do not know much of this I really need some recommendation of individual cards.
  8. I have an xfx 5770, but because you are not in the us, you will not get the lifetime warranty.
  9. If you will not be gaming with fast action, then any pci-e discrete card will do. For example, this 5450 passively cooled card for http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=580537 for 519.

    For 1190, you could get a stronger his 5450: http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=579452 for 1190. I like the full two slot cooler that sends the hot vga air directly out the back instead of letting it recirculate.

    I also notice that you specified 8gb in a 2 x 4gb configuration. 4gb sticks are relatively expensive. You could get 8gb more economically by getting two 4gb kits, each in a 2 x 2gb configuration. It will cost you half as much.
  10. HD 5770 is overkill if you do not play games. If you like to waste money, then buy it, otherwise a HD 5450 or HD 5570 will do.
  11. Okay, I only saw "I will not play any games today..." in the original post.
  12. OP states in his original post that he wants to be able to play newer games if he so desires.
  13. geofelt said:

    I also notice that you specified 8gb in a 2 x 4gb configuration. 4gb sticks are relatively expensive. You could get 8gb more economically by getting two 4gb kits, each in a 2 x 2gb configuration. It will cost you half as much.


    That is a good point. The reason for having the 2 x 4 GB modules is that I plan to later upgrade to 12 GB or even 16 GB of RAM, so I am saving two slots for them.

    rolli59 said:


    The Sapphire card seems to have 512 MB of RAM, would you recommend it over the XFX card which has 1GB? I do not really know the importance of the onboard memory, but I guess 1 GB would be better than 512 MB. Perhaps it is not used if not playing memory intensive games?

    Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 512MB GDDR5 = Price 1495 Kr

    XFX RADEON HD5770 XT 1GB GDDR5 = Price 1575 Kr

    They are the about the same amount of money so that does not matter.

    Generaly I want the card for around $200 that gives me the:

    good quality
    low noice
    low heat increase
    most future proof
    no trouble installing into Antec P183 case

    Which would that be? :)
  14. You will have no problem fitting any graphics card in a P183.

    Look for a card with a dual slot cooler like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338 The reason is that that type of cooler gets the vga heat directly out of the case instead of dumping it back into the case wher case cooling has to deal with it. Direct exhaust of vga air will also keep your cpu cooler.

    If you are anticipating large amounts of ram, you might consider a X58 motherboard and a i7-930 cpu. The cost differential is not much, and you could get 12gb of ram for less than you are paying for 8gb.

    If, in the future, you might need as much as 24gb of ram, the X58 is capable of handling it. The P55 motherboard is maxed at 16gb. As time goes by, 4gb sticks will be cheaper, and it is not hard to sell 2gb sticks on e-bay.
  15. geofelt said:
    You will have no problem fitting any graphics card in a P183.


    Nice, thanks.

    geofelt said:

    If you are anticipating large amounts of ram, you might consider a X58 motherboard and a i7-930 cpu. The cost differential is not much, and you could get 12gb of ram for less than you are paying for 8gb.

    If, in the future, you might need as much as 24gb of ram, the X58 is capable of handling it.


    I will do the memory upgrade quite soon, in a few months time, I just want to spread the cost a bit and it will very likely be enough with 16GB in a few years time as I see it. (I will mostly use Vmware Workstation 7.1 to run many virtual servers, therefor the need for a CPU with four cores and hyperthreading, and quite a lot of RAM.)

    I think I will stay with the 1156 socket motherboard and the i7 860, but I am grateful for your suggestions.

    geofelt said:

    Look for a card with a dual slot cooler like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338 The reason is that that type of cooler gets the vga heat directly out of the case instead of dumping it back into the case wher case cooling has to deal with it. Direct exhaust of vga air will also keep your cpu cooler.


    Will the card you linked to be quite the same as the other mentioned but how better heat management? That could of course be good, however if I do not play the heaviest and latest of games available, how much heat does it generate at some kind of avarage load?

    Also considering the rest of the components and the case, what do you think of the temperatures?

    So, the suggestions so far is these three:

    Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 512MB GDDR5 = Price 1495 Kr

    XFX RADEON HD5770 XT 1GB GDDR5 = Price 1575 Kr

    HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 = Price 1799
  16. I missed the 512mb on the sapphire card so I think the XFX is a better option for 80 more svenska kronor.
  17. rolli59 said:
    I missed the 512mb on the sapphire card so I think the XFX is a better option for 80 more svenska kronor.


    Yes that is less than $10 and for low amount of money I guess it is worth to get 512 MB more. :)
  18. Best answer selected by ricno.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics Product