Unable to get into BIOS

shep66

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Hi,

I hope I have the right forum for this major problem. I’ve just installed a Zalman CNPS9900 NT cooler, having removed the mobo to attach the backing plate, then the CPU to apply grease, etc. I put everything back in place (I’ve left a few mobo screws loose on one side to take some of the bend out of it), re-connected all power & data and tried to re-start. After a few fruitless attempts to get into the BIOS I got the following message: “New CPU installed! Please enter setup to configure your system. Chassis intruded! Fatal Error...System Halted.” I’m not worried about the intruder alert because there’s a jumper setting I can change to disable it.

Anyway, I eventually got in to the BIOS but it froze while I was changing some fan settings. This is what I read before it froze:

CPU temp 28C
Mobo temp 33C
CPU fan speed 1110 rpm
CPU voltage 1.224V
3.3V = 3.328
5V = 5.088
12V = 12.096

I changed the CPU fan control from “Ignored” but didn’t get a chance to enable Q-Fan (Asus’ term for Zalman’s PWM Control mode). I also saw that the BIOS had correctly recognised the CPU. Now when I start it up it makes all the right noises to begin with – the CPU fan & 2 chassis fans work fine, the optical drive light comes on, but that’s the end of the good news. Neither the HDD or floppy lights come on (all connections are good) and it just sits there idling along happily. I have cleared the CMOS jumper and then tried removing the battery briefly while clearing the CMOS jumper once more. I’m stumped! Please help.

Thanks,
Andrew

Dual-boot XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) & 7 Ultimate x64
Asus P5Q SE Plus mobo
Intel Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Corsair 2 x 2048GB DDR2 RAM
Corsair TX 750W
Zalman CNPS9900 NT cooler
Asus ENGTX480 graphics card
Maxtor 80GB system HDD
WD 400GB HDD

shep66

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I'm not sure how or why but after leaving the PC off for about half an hour it seems to have fixed itself. It was probably my slightly random approach to clearing the BIOS that made it ill.
Cheers!