My hard disk has gone out the window and I want to install a new hard disk
and load xp back. Do I just attach the new hd as master and boot from cd rom?
Is there any preparation to be done as I could not really remember how I do
it the last time. Appreciate if you can help to refresh the steps before

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F0E88BB2-4D14-4B9F-B2A2-0FD4B3F9E678@microsoft.com,
iqppwpoe <iqppwpoe@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> My hard disk has gone out the window and I want to install a new hard
> disk and load xp back. Do I just attach the new hd as master and boot
> from cd rom? Is there any preparation to be done as I could not
> really remember how I do it the last time. Appreciate if you can help
> to refresh the steps before loading the xp, many thanks

If it's a plain old IDE HDD then you do just as you said. Set it as master,
boot with the CD in place, follow the onscreen prompts. If it's SATA, SCSI,
or RAID you will need a floppy with the drivers for the device during boot.
The only preperation you need is to have your CDs handy for drivers that
might not load automatically, a cup of coffee, and a couple of hours. If you
have a firewall on CD that will help. When you install don't activate right
away, instead go into the OS and either install a third party firewall or
make sure that ICS is enabled. In fact disconnect the computer from the
internet physically until you've done such a thing. Once you've done that do
your updates and then activate.

Galen

In news:F0E88BB2-4D14-4B9F-B2A2-0FD4B3F9E678@microsoft.com,
iqppwpoe <iqppwpoe@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My hard disk has gone out the window and I want to install a
> new hard
> disk and load xp back. Do I just attach the new hd as master
> and boot
> from cd rom?

Yes.

> Is there any preparation to be done as I could not
> really remember how I do it the last time.

All you need to do is ensure that the BIOS is set to boot from
the CD first.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Many thanks for the responses. I have bought Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Ultra
model ST380011A, I suppose this is a SATA and I need to get the drivers on
the floppy (how can I made one?)

Galen quote:-
......... you will need a floppy with the drivers for the device during boot.
The only preperation you need is to have your CDs handy for drivers that
might not load automatically, a cup of coffee, and a couple of hours. If you
have a firewall on CD that will help. When you install don't activate right
away................ unquote.

When you say "CD", I suppose you mean the XP CD as you mention floppy for
the device drivers. ///

I will try the easiest one way first, master than boot fr cd rom. Would
appreciate if you can response on the above questions, thanks

In news:B841A279-ACB9-4641-ACFB-9EFF8FA592EC@microsoft.com,
qppwpoe <qppwpoe@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When you say "CD", I suppose you mean the XP CD as you mention floppy
> for the device drivers. ///
>
> I will try the easiest one way first, master than boot fr cd rom.
> Would appreciate if you can response on the above questions, thanks

Yes, boot from CD and it will give you the prompt to add any drivers for
additional hardware. These will *usually* be on a floppy. The drivers (if
needed with XP) will be on a floppy from the OEM. If not you can download
one from their site surely. Where? I'm not sure but try their support
section of the Seagate site.

Galen