Bios Update OS dependent?

neilthompson87

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I had made a post about this before, but after 60 views and week got no replies. Seems like its probably a simple question, so I will rephrase.

I want to update my bios. I have the P5LP-LE (leonite2). http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-60363-1 is the update site. It says needs vista.

I'm currently running windows 7, tried the update anyway, and it didn't work. Do I really need to re-install vista to update? (I no longer have the disk) Or is it possible that I'm just trying to install an incompatible bios? (there are lots of versions of of the P5LP-LE board). Is there another way I can do it?

cheers,
neil.

It looks like HP is using winflash or its equivalent to update the BIOS, which will likely require you to have vista installed to flash the BIOS with HP's file.
If you can identify the board's make an model using the screen-printed letters and numbers including the revision, if any, you may be able to find the BIOS update from the board manufacturer.
I'm guessing the board was made by ASUS. If so, you can flash the BIOS using ASUS' EZ-flash utility, or booting it from an FDD, or USB thumbdrive if your board can boot from a thumbdrive.
Be sure to backup your current BIOS before you flash, so you can restore it if the flashing goes bad.